VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

I have been searching about this for ages! And I cannot find any program what would do that.

I got this video:
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 2h 16mn
    Bit rate : 5 192 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 5 326 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 688 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.860
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.246
    Stream size : 4.96 GiB (76%)
    Writing library : x264 core 67 r1145 d2e1e1c
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=5326 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Duration : 2h 16mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Stream size : 1.44 GiB (22%)

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : UTF-8
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text

And I need to convert the MKV to AVI. What program should I use?

Make
    "Sharing is Caring"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try something like tsmuxer or avidemux first. You might be able to extract the audio and video seperately. Then from there you can reencode directly to your destination.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why? What are you going to play it on? or are you going to edit it?

If you want to it work on for example a divx dvd player you must also resize it. Reconvert using handbrake or xvid4psp, use the avi hardware profile.

If you want it to work on xbox360 or ps3 or mediacenters it may be enough to convert to mp4 use gotsent or mkv2vob. No video reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to convert it to AVI so I can use it into AVI ReComp to add permanent subtitles and then playback with WD TV
    "Sharing is Caring"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to a very complicated HOWTO:

how-2-do.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-convert-mkv-files-to-avi-with.html

A simple way would be to use MKVMerge and add the subtitle file to the MKV container. Since you're using the WD Media Player you can play the MKV file directly and select the desired subtitle. The latest WD firmware states it adds additional subtitle languages.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to use the AVI ReComp to add subtitles because I need to add black borders behind the subtitles to they see much better. My das eye sight isnt that good anymore so he need better subtitles
    "Sharing is Caring"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, after experimenting myself I think I understand what you are trying to do. Since you want to add black borders to display the subtitles on (so that there are white letters on the black border area for contrast) you will probably lose quality. The only way I was able to accomplish this was to change the aspect ratio of the video from 16:9 to 4:3 in AVI Recomp in order to get the borders.

What I think you're looking for is something like Closed Caption/TeleText where the white text is displayed in a black bar area within the video. I have not seen an application that can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No I don have to change any aspect ratio. I could add those borders but AVI ReComp dosent support MKV files. So i need to Convert MKV to AVI.
    "Sharing is Caring"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If all you need to do is convert from MKV to AVI, I have found that MediaCoder is the fastest and easiest way. It has a new web based configuration page. When you launch the application it starts the configuration page in your browser (Firefox) and all you do is select the settings you would like. If you need to get the subtitles from the MKV file you can extract them with MkvextractGUI. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mail2tom. Can you help me using that Mediacoder. Im just getting 0yte file output
    "Sharing is Caring"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PM sent to Markomaani.
    Quote Quote