VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a customer buy a pretty nice HP Vista 64-bit PC. Really nice graphics card, HDMI out. HDMI out is feeding an Epson overhead projector. I set up his whole theater room and chose this PC to be his "HTPC"

It actually does really well and the very simple version of what he wants to do is convert his entire DVD collection (LEGALLY) to his HD for viewing whenever he wants. He does not want to overly compress them so as to keep a good amount of quality. He is more than willing to buy more HD space just as long as the movies look OK.

What I am trying to do for him is find the MOST SIMPLE DVD ripping program that he can do by himself in his spare time. He is NOT very good with computers but he is totally into learning how to use a program if it is simple enough. I am quite certain that if I refer the right program to him he will do fine ripping them once he gets the hang of that particualr program.

Here is the next big issue: I want to find a program that when he gets done, he would not have to do any major "renaming" of the file. EXAMPLE: He will be using Vista Media Center, I would love to find a program that rips the MAIN MOVIE to the HD then when he goes to "My Movies" in MC, there is the title sitting right there ready to start. I need to make this as EASY as possible for him as he has spent a good chunk of change with all the crazy stuff I did in this theater room.

Sorry for the book but I just wanted to be clear in what help I needed! I think its a pretty simple issue but MAN, there are SO MANY programs out there to do this. I should mention again too that this is a 64bit PC, so the program would have to be 64bit friendly. My first impression was to just have him buy the Divx software but last I checked it did not support the 64bit PC. PLUS I think the compression would be too much.

I will end on this: he honestly would not care about copying the ENTIRE .VOB main movie file to preserve the quality but again I just want to find a program that will dump it right into the "My Movies" section of MC where he can go right to it and select PLAY

if u have read this far -THX and please even email me directly with any suggestions

theruckman@gmail.com
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To keep it simple, then simply RIP the DVD and not bother with any conversion. DVDFab HD Decrypter will get the job done.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're not going to get 'simple' and 'just the main movie'. I agree with Krispy Kritter, use DVDFAB or AnyDVD/DVD Decrypter, rip in ISO mode. The worse he'll have to do is rename the .iso file to something more meaningful.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had no idea that DVD software could play .ISO files? if so, that is great. Will try that. Seems the simplest route.

thx

Scott
    Quote Quote