VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I don't mind it.It doesn't seem as bloated as Vista.It does remind me of a less flashy vista in some ways! I HATE that I have no Quick Launch.....stiltman you mention there's a hack to put it back on...please point me in the right direction.I am sure I'll get "ok" with Windows 7 eventually. I was an early Vista buyer,I hated it but I've come to Like Vista 64 Home Premium.

I let you know more what I think of it when I stick it on my new machine!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jake802
    I don't mind it.It doesn't seem as bloated as Vista.It does remind me of a less flashy vista in some ways! I HATE that I have no Quick Launch.....stiltman you mention there's a hack to put it back on...please point me in the right direction.I am sure I'll get "ok" with Windows 7 eventually. I was an early Vista buyer,I hated it but I've come to Like Vista 64 Home Premium.

Thanks
    It is not really a hack ... The Quick Launch folder is still there but there is no feature for it ... right click the taskbar and see the selections.

I am doing this from memory ... I believe you create new toolbar feature [something like that] ... you will need to know the pathway [of where the Quick Launch folder is in WIN7] ... so do a search with system folders "on" and the quick launch folder will appear .... it is empty ... take the quick launch folder you've copied from WinXP or Vista and paste it there ... Quick Launch will now be there ... just to the left of the clock ... that is why it is a pain in the butt .... not in a pain using it ... just a pain in the butt ... creating a Quick Launch feature on the taskbar in WIN 7.

This is a vague and not complete ... how to do it ... explanation .... but it should get you started in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jake802
    I don't mind it.It doesn't seem as bloated as Vista.It does remind me of a less flashy vista in some ways! I HATE that I have no Quick Launch.....stiltman you mention there's a hack to put it back on...please point me in the right direction.I am sure I'll get "ok" with Windows 7 eventually. I was an early Vista buyer,I hated it but I've come to Like Vista 64 Home Premium.

Thanks
    Try this for Quick Launch:
    1. Makes sure "Show hidden files..." is selected in Folder Options > View.

2. Right click on taskbar > Toolbars > New toolbar...

3. Navigate to C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch then click on Select Folder.

Quick Launch will appear next to the system tray. Personally I prefer pinning items to the taskbar, but that may change once I start adding many more programs.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks! I will give it a try!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by valvehead
    Personally I prefer pinning items to the taskbar, but that may change once I start adding many more programs.

Ding Ding Ding...he's winner

That's the problem....pin more that 2 or 3 and you're wishing for quick launch

They wanted it more MAC/BSD/Linux like for some reason....
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman
    Ding Ding Ding...he's winner

That's the problem....pin more that 2 or 3 and you're wishing for quick launch
    Well, the first thing I did was set the taskbar icons to small (Jeez! Why is everything set so huge by default?). I also have 1440 horizontal pixels on my MBP, so I've got plenty of space left at the moment. I will likely keep my most used apps directly on the taskbar and the rest in a custom quick launch folder.

I haven't started hardcore testing in Win7 yet. I'm just getting used to where things are at the moment (I'm coming from XP Pro; I've never used Vista before). Once I'm happy that the basic stuff is working smoothly, I'll start testing with Vegas 8, Cubase 4, Audition 3, Eagle, TurboCAD, etc.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by valvehead

Well, the first thing I did was set the taskbar icons to small (Jeez! Why is everything set so huge by default?).
    For tiny screen NetBooks probably.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. How do I add more to my Quick Launch?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I installed it in a virtual computer last night and it was like pulling teeth. It sped drastically up after I shut off Windows search and defragmented the virtual computer. I am not a big fan of pinning items to the taskbar. I set the icons to small. I undid the grouping of items in windows explorer view of computer.

I tried to install firefox last night and it was going to take two hours to download it. I will try later.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by wtsinnc
    The truth is that Vista has been unpopular because it cannot deliver what was promised. It is neither inherently more secure (v. XP or W2K) or capable of a higher level of performance. Many people who purchased Vista found their "Vista capable" PCs and laptops unable to function properly.
    Microsoft lied about the true system requirements for Vista and is currently in litigation regarding the "Vista capable" designation.
    They will lose.
    It's hard to find any reason at all to praise or use this severely flawed OS.

Time has (perhaps) clouded the memory of some;

Remember the lack of compatible security software ?
    This occurred because Microsoft refused to divulge in a timely manner to software vendors pertinent information about the kernel structure as well as other elements of the OS. Hardly a well thought-out process.
    These compatibility issues lingered well into the first year of Vista's public availability
    and extended to most if not all of the other categories of software applications.

Remember the multitude of hardware interface issues ? Way too many to reference.

Remember the licensing and upgrade issues ?

I remember all of this; I had to muck through all of this unnecessary s**t just to get the operating system I paid for to operate as promised.

-By the way-
    How many of you are still waiting for your vista Ultimate Extras ?

Microsoft has ceased any real attempt to address user complaints and there is no effort to materially improve Vista, at least none that I've heard of. Instead, they have pushed for a replacement operating system due to Vista's failure to be adopted by government as well as the bulk of the corporate community. Just as was the case with ME, Vista has become an embarrassment to Microsoft and they rightfully want to bury it asap.

I truly hope Microsoft has learned from their Vista experience and will continue to develop Windows 7 until it becomes the absolute, unqualified best operating system they have ever produced.
    We deserve nothing less
    It looks like you and several others are wrong.

The army is migrating to Vista.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/05/20/21389-army-migrating-computers-to-vista/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    That's not exactly a vote of confidence.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by MJPollard
    Actually, they have been testing Vista since release, and they are migrating to Vista. I see nothing wrong with migrating to Vista.

Anyways, back to Windows 7 - I defragged it and it is running fairly well in Virtual PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tested W7.
    It's faster sVista (add a "s" in font and it means "delete" in Greek language)
    It's slower WinXP SP3.

I'm with WinXP for now. Also, I'm testing latest Ubuntu Studio. Like win95 OSR2. When Linux turn like win98SE, they got me as a user!
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    only a few minor things for me...for some reason it keeps setting my power options(turn off monitor) to "20 minutes" every other time i restart the pc(i set it to never)....i cant use CCE..i always get an error...HASP or sumthin or other(i just use HCenc instead)

other than that i'm pleased...i dropped 200mb's in startup with the same services i turned off in vista ultimate 64...boot time is much faster...all in all a marked improvement imo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJPollard
    Actually, they have been testing Vista since release, and they are migrating to Vista. I see nothing wrong with migrating to Vista.
    I now see one thing wrong with it: apparently, upgrading to Vista requires surgical removal of one's sense of humor.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ok! So I figured out the Quick Launch thing. It is a pain in the...but atleast I have it. My only gripe now...I can't seem to get TMPEnc Programs to work within Windows 7,other then MPEG Editor 2. Anyone else have any luck?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really like Windows 7 RC 64-bit build 7100, I will love it even more when Creative Labs and Hauppauge make new drivers for it so I don't have to boot up in XP to get DD w/ ATSC HDTV

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    I will love it even more when Creative Labs and Hauppauge make new drivers for it so I don't have to boot up in XP to get DD w/ ATSC HDTV
    Have you tried the Vista drivers? 100% of the Vista drivers I've used with Win7 (including Hauppauge and Creative Labs drivers) have worked for me. However I get a lot of stalls and BSODs with the test laptop I have running Win7 whereas my VM of it only hangs once in a while. Not sure if that has anything to do with the drivers or the platform, but Vista drivers should work. YMMV
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    Originally Posted by ocgw
    I will love it even more when Creative Labs and Hauppauge make new drivers for it so I don't have to boot up in XP to get DD w/ ATSC HDTV
    Have you tried the Vista drivers? 100% of the Vista drivers I've used with Win7 (including Hauppauge and Creative Labs drivers) have worked for me. However I get a lot of stalls and BSODs with the test laptop I have running Win7 whereas my VM of it only hangs once in a while. Not sure if that has anything to do with the drivers or the platform, but Vista drivers should work. YMMV
    I get DD, & DTS w/ PDVD8 for blu ray, and DD and DTS w/ VLC for DVD no problem but

The Hauppauge WinTV 7 application gives you DD output on XP, but it's drivers don't even recognize the hardware under Windows 7, and MC7 makes this buzzing noise when outputing spdif DD the same as VLC does when you don't have it set to "waveout"

So in my case MC7 is only good for music right now and I have to boot up in XP to get DD w/ HDTV

ps. MC7 default for DD is night mode (dynamic range compression) w/ no way to change it aAFAIK

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    rallynavvie are you getting DD spdif output from MC7 from either DVD's, blu ray's, or OTA ATSC HDTV?

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coax digital output in Dolby, yes. This is through a USB SoundBlaster on a laptop playing back ATSC OTA recording from the Hauppauge HVR-(I think it's a 1600). Pretty sure I ran Vista drivers for the SB.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rallynavvie
    Coax digital output in Dolby, yes. This is through a USB SoundBlaster on a laptop playing back ATSC OTA recording from the Hauppauge HVR-(I think it's a 1600). Pretty sure I ran Vista drivers for the SB.
    Well all right, I feel like making another run @ the SB hardware w/ vista drivers but I am afraid of breaking the blu ray and dvd playback in DD and DTS, oh well, guess it is time to turn system restore back on lol

This is where Creative Labs punishes you for holding on to your old fav used to be expensive sound card lol

edit: I just realized you said you were playing back a recording, not live TV, I can do that now, just not from within MC7, and I think I am already using the latest vista driver, I am gonna' double check

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  24. There's something I don't like about Windows 7: slow boot-up time. After I get the "Windows is Starting" screen, my monitor goes black for exactly one minute, and then proceeds to boot to the desktop. Is this a common problem, or is my PC too slow to run 7? I have a Compaq SR5518F with 2 GB of RAM and a Pentium dual-core 2.00 GHz processor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JimBarbasol
    There's something I don't like about Windows 7: slow boot-up time. After I get the "Windows is Starting" screen, my monitor goes black for exactly one minute, and then proceeds to boot to the desktop. Is this a common problem, or is my PC too slow to run 7? I have a Compaq SR5518F with 2 GB of RAM and a Pentium dual-core 2.00 GHz processor.
    I haven't had this problem on my HP Compac laptop (nc8230) runs like a dream and seems more responsive than XP did on the same laptop, takes about the same time to boot as XP and no more than 5 secs of black as it loads
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by JimBarbasol
    There's something I don't like about Windows 7: slow boot-up time. After I get the "Windows is Starting" screen, my monitor goes black for exactly one minute, and then proceeds to boot to the desktop. Is this a common problem, or is my PC too slow to run 7? I have a Compaq SR5518F with 2 GB of RAM and a Pentium dual-core 2.00 GHz processor.

Yep, sounds like a problem, maybe a hardware conflict or something....Also, is it a standalone box or part of a domain?
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimBarbasol
    Go in the BIOS and change your boot sequence to HDD first if you haven't already

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a minimalist reinstall of Windows 7 RC build 7100 and was able to install WinTV 7 and get DD directly from the WinTV application, I now get DD and DTS from all my media (DVD, Blu Ray, OTA ATSC HDTV) all w/ 3rd party apps, WM7 still won't output DD for me, but I like how it handles my music and I like the Internet TV, especially the music videos

If I can successfully install BF2 I can delete XP lol

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote  
  29. Is anyone having issues with their start menu disappearing?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got DD and DTS working in MC7 w/ the latest build of AC3 Filter x64 for Windows 7 (1.61b)

I use it w/ Shark 007 Win7x64 components v124

ocgw

peace
    Quote Quote