VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please move this to the relevent forum, sorry for the inconvenience.

Is there a software that will enlarge my photo's/logo's in high quaity, so i can print them as a poster (on vinyl), to stick on the wall.

I came across "the rasterbator" software and love it... the only thing with that is the DOTS... i dont want the dots.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you google photo enlargement software you will see many alternatives.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using high-quality images as your source? (had to ask...)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    the quality comes from the source image, not the enlargement process. There are some applications that enlarge better than others, but if you get to poster size you had better have a super hgh resolution image to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Photoshop is good for that kinda thing. if ur gonna make stickers etcs you can add SFX to the pictures.
    Join our AppzBeWareZ. Email us for more details. Appzbewarez@googlemail.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can somebody please explain how when I enlarge an old photograph in Windows it retains much of its original detail but when I enlarge the exact same image in Photoshop by the same amount, it breaks up into pixels?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Can somebody please explain how when I enlarge an old photograph in Windows it retains much of its original detail but when I enlarge the exact same image in Photoshop by the same amount, it breaks up into pixels?
    "Windows" is not an image editor.
    So what application are you using?

And what do you mean by "enlarge"?
    Zooming, or actually changing the number of pixels?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Yes I know but I'm zooming the same image to the same size in the same environment but whereas the image in Windows Explorer reveals more details the image in Photoshop just breaks up. Why isn't the zoomed image in Photoshop at least as good as the same sized image in Windows Explorer?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    here's a better idea..start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    He's been here long enough so i though he was goofing!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by greymalkin
    Someone suggested using Photoshop but my experience of using it created the exact same problem which the original poster is trying to avoid. I thought that might be of some interest to him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe you're not using Photoshop correctly. I've NEVER seen Photoshop do a WORSE job than Windows Preview/MSPhotoEditor...
    At least, it's equal, but usually MUCH BETTER at resizing/zooming.

Since I'm one of those who suggested Rasterbator a few years ago, I can tell you that it isn't just the source image (although that helps immensely), but it IS the enlargement method. However, at the rediculous magnification factors it often uses, I believe you would HAVE to resort to half-toning to get away with something reasonable in the end.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Yes I know but I'm zooming the same image to the same size in the same environment but whereas the image in Windows Explorer reveals more details the image in Photoshop just breaks up. Why isn't the zoomed image in Photoshop at least as good as the same sized image in Windows Explorer?
    So you're zooming, not enlarging.

Photoshop is showing you the actual pixels as seeing them is one reason you zoom in PS. Your preview is probably blurring them a bit to give a nicer image. It certainly cannot "reveal more details".

If you enlarge in PS you should get better results. Apply a bit of blur and then resharpen in if you like. Try various denoising filters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Photoshop is not very good with enlarging. Never has been. Use a specialty program, like OnOne Fractal Designs (or its Photoshop plugin).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Try PosteRazor (free). Let me know if you can't find it. It does exactly what Rasterbator does, only in excellent quality.

Darryl
    Quote Quote