VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 55
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,
    Newegg has a sale on Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 100 pack. I'm planning on getting them but I saw a recent review
    This is considered to be one of the worst quality Verbatim disk types. It is made in I*n*d*i*a.
    I've been using Verbatim for a few years now and never really had any problems. Is it true what this customer is saying? Should I still buy it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Number Six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I use these discs and never had a problem or bad burn.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    This issue has been discussed and debated many times over. For example check this forum discussion...https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/verbatim-dvd-r-100-pack-spindles-on-sale-at-bb-...8-t351029.html

    In the end it all comes down to myth. Perhaps this "reviewer" has a bad DVD burner, or uses bad software. Any number of things could affect the quality of his burns. However, in all honesty if the opinions of ONE person who had a bad experience with a product scare you into not buying said product, you shouldn't buy anything at all because I can guarantee you that there's at least one person who's had a problem with anything released into the consumer market since forever. I don't mean to come off as rude but we are talking about products that are mass produced, so maybe he just got a bad batch.

    The fact is, Verbatim is one of THE best disc manufacturers out there. Like you said, you've been using their discs for years and haven't had any problems and I, as well as many others, can say the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmo
    This issue has been discussed and debated many times over. For example check this forum discussion...https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/verbatim-dvd-r-100-pack-spindles-on-sale-at-bb-...8-t351029.html

    In the end it all comes down to myth. Perhaps this "reviewer" has a bad DVD burner, or uses bad software. Any number of things could affect the quality of his burns. However, in all honesty if the opinions of ONE person who had a bad experience with a product scare you into not buying said product, you shouldn't buy anything at all because I can guarantee you that there's at least one person who's had a problem with anything released into the consumer market since forever. I don't mean to come off as rude but we are talking about products that are mass produced, so maybe he just got a bad batch.

    The fact is, Verbatim is one of THE best disc manufacturers out there. Like you said, you've been using their discs for years and haven't had any problems and I, as well as many others, can say the same thing.
    I didn't hear this from just one person. But anyways I probably will buy them. Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    Many people are highly prejudiced against Verbatim's Made in India media. You'll just have to make up your own mind here. I can only state the following.

    Never used Verbatim MII single layer discs. I have used their MII dual layer discs. I had one bad burn in the pack. Others swear that the MII DL media is 100% crap, etc. That has not been my experience. Verbatim has moved some of their dual layer manufacturing back to Singapore, possibly because of quality issues. We have never had many reports here of problems with single layer MII discs.

    If you are really afraid of them, many sources like Rima.com, SuperMediaStore, etc. sell Verbatim's DataLifePlus discs. You'll pay more for them and they only burn up to 8x, but they are all Made In Taiwan and are first rate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bmo
    In the end it all comes down to myth.
    No, in the end it comes down to people asking vague questions on forums.

    d3xter, the question is meaningless without complete background information. Are you using a DVD recorder? If so, does it prefer +R or just tolerate +R? Is it a brand new Phillips or a five year old Panasonic? Does it record in real time or off an internal hard drive first? Are you using a computer burner? New? Old? Mac slotload or standard PC trayload? Do you buy your media in small batches, or are you sitting on hundreds of the discs that have "always worked for you"?

    Any combination of those variables will interact with a particular brand or type of media you pick up in a store right now. Some batches of some brands from some countries suck overall, or have issues burning in some types of hardware. The biggest "myth" going is that Verbatim is exactly what it used to be- it isn't (nothing is). When they owned and operated their own factories under their own name, Verbatim media did have an edge, it was equal to or better than Taiyo Yuden (the only other really reliable brand left). Unfortunately a couple years ago Verbatim went down the same cost-cutting road as every other brand before them: they sold their branding rights to a lame-ass conglomerate which makes millions of discs under two dozen different brand and store names. Is Verbatim still a better bet than, say, TDK or Maxell? Yes- that big media conglomerate does want to keep the Verbatim reputation as high as it can, so it does pay a bit more attention to its Verbatim production lines. But crappy batches come and go, and the baseline formula is as dicey on old burners as TDK, Maxell or Staples brand media. If you have new-ish hardware, Verbatim should still work fine for you, as will several other brands. If you have old hardware, you may eventually need to look for 8x or "pro"- grade discs sold by media specialists online. Until you start getting an unusual number of coasters, stick with what you've been using if it works well for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by d3xter
    I didn't hear this from just one person. But anyways I probably will buy them. Thanks for the replies.
    Again, sorry if I came off as rude, it's just that from your original post it was worded like that one guy's review was the only basis for your dilemma. But it's good you've made up your mind. I love Newegg and that's a good deal on the Verbatim discs, so I may be picking up a spindle or two myself

    Originally Posted by orsetto
    No, in the end it comes down to people asking vague questions on forums.
    Lol exactly!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Once a company start producing discs in India (CMC) I no longer trust them.

    FWIW, for few years I am using only TY discs if possible (sometimes get overpriced TDKs when TY is not on the shelve), because TY are still manufactured in Japan, and this company haven't jumped ship to outsourcing in 3rd world countries like Verbatim.
    If I have no choice, I rather get unknown brand discs clearly labeled as made in Taiwan rather than Verbatims that bear no country of origin on the label (yes, last time I bought Verbatims they were identified with CMC ID, which means they were manufactured in India, it was the last straw to me and I quit using Verbatims since).

    BTW - I have nothing against people in India, its their techn/workmanship that is years behind developed countries, that's all. I rather pay 5-6 cents more per disc and stay 100% worry-free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have no trouble with Verbatim DVD+R 16x inkjet printable discs. Made in Taiwan. MCC 004. Bought from Sam's Club.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    I rarely see MII discs, most everything available in the USA is from Taiwan. Microcenter, Newegg, Best Buy, OfficeMax -- I don't see a lot of MII lately. And even when I do find MII, and buy it on purpose, it's fine. In fact, I had a spindle of MIT with more coasters than the MII package.

    Some of MBI's own media has been decent, in fact.

    I can't say I understand what orsetto is talking about. Mitsubishi still oversees production of it's own media, regardless of location. Their own Verbatim brand hasn't been farmed out to anybody, unlike Kodak or JVC. And older burners are fine with excellent media -- it's one reason it is considered excellent. Having to buy new burners for mediocre CMC/Ritek discs -- which still don't burn all that hot -- is ridiculous.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    South Florida
    Search Comp PM
    Just finish a cake of 100 verbatim DVD+R's, from India, and no problems at all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't had any problems with the MII discs. I've used them in PC burners and standalone recorders both.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Mitsubishi still oversees production of it's own media, regardless of location. Their own Verbatim brand hasn't been farmed out to anybody
    Technically, in documents, no. Practically, in how the discs are actually produced? In essence, its farmed out. It was dumped to ProDisc and CMC, ProDisc went under leaving CMC as the largest producer of current Verbatim. The concept of "Mitsubishi overseeing production" is about as helpful to quality control as "New York State Assembly Oversees Transit System": accomplishes nothing. A couple of MCC stooges and technicians sitting around the CMC crap factories wagging their fingers and making suggestions does not deflect CMC from doing whatever they want to do to meet OfficeMax price points. Just like when Mercedes sent German tooling and technicians to Detroit, and Chrysler still made crummy cars with it.

    This is not to say there aren't still some advantages to mass-market 16x Verbatim: there are. CMC is using a lot of MCC production machinery and does have the MCC techs around to supervise: while this is in no way equal to the direct MCC production back in 2005, its better than nothing and way better than CMCs rancid TDK output. If your burners or recorders have no problem with retail 16x Verbatim, then theres no reason to stop using it. But if you have older burners, and they do start failing with retail Verbatims, don't start buying spindle after spindle looking for a "good batch"- it means you need to throttle back to 8x media for those old burners. They were not designed for 16x, they burn it as a kludge, and eventually the 16x stresses their lasers to the point they can't burn it anymore. That includes the Verbatim: "good" 16x is still 16x. Even Phillips/Magnavox/Funai is currently advising new recorder owners to use 8x whenever possible, due to increasing consumer complaints of 16x burn failures.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Some users don’t Like Ritek/Ridata and some other disks and that’s ok
    I had used Verbatim Disks fo a long time
    I now have used a large number of Ridata disks bought at Neweg at a good price and free shipping [Both + or -
    I have had No problems and cannot see any difference in video quality.
    While I don’t use CMC on the few occasions I have also No problems

    It seems that to many users blame a operator error or poor equipment on the disks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Aside from Meritline.com and Supermediastore.com, I don't even know of a lot of places off-hand that carry 8x discs, certainly not stores I can walk into.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    BTW:
    Ask yourself what is the reason a manufacturer or a brand would like to hide place of manufacturing from your knowledge?
    I think if you use brain there is no need to answer this

    That's why you see some media clearly (and proudly I'd add) are labeled as Made in Japan or Taiwan, while others hide it behind just i.e. "Verbatim" brand.
    If Made in India are really as good as Made in Japan, why hide this fact...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Lordsmurf said

    “Aside from Meritline.com and Supermediastore.com, I don't even know of a lot of places off-hand that carry 8x discs, certainly not stores I can walk into’.

    I fully agree

    Where Made !!! I don’t think its hidden as you could check them if not on the label.
    why not put it on the item label but than some would not buy them and are they bum ?
    I think not At least my recorder feels there Ok

    Oh I didn’t before because the recorder felt they were OK But the Ridata disks I mentioned. Say’s right on the Label [Made In Taiwan] And so do the Verbatim.
    What a relief I have some 600 disks That Are OK [Made In Taiwan] and now I woun’t have to throw them away and feel bad .
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG
    Where Made !!! I don’t think its hidden as you could check them if not on the label.
    No. Almost always when they are made in India it will NOT be posted on the label.
    Instead you have i.e. "Imported by SuperDuper Corporation www.we.want.your.bucks.fck.you"
    Or not even such cryptic info at all.

    You gotta be blind not to notice this [mal]practice before
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    In the US, the country of origin must be included on the label, by law, if it's an imported product. I have purchased both MII and MIT Verbatim DVD-R 16X media in the new packaging. The country of origin is on the label, in English, French and Spanish, though it (as well as the usual warnings and legal notices) is in teeny, tiny print. The manufacturing country is under the bar code, below the recycling symbols.

    I don't doubt that some people are experiencing problems, but not everyone is. I don't use +R media, but I didn't have any coasters among the 50 MII Verbatim DVD-R discs I burned. My LG burner was made in 2005, so there is some backwards compatibility with the new media.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Derex888

    Almost that you used is the Key Word I see a lot of posts with maybe, almost ,it might work etc,etc.

    Your Quote
    “You gotta be blind not to notice this [mal]practice before”

    -----------------------------------------------------------

    At 80 my eyes are not what they used to be but not all that bad. I think the real reason is all these disks have worked fine I’ve had NO problems and I don’t care were they were made

    A guy I know wouldn’t Buy any drugs, but from a USA druggist. $295 for 30 day supply
    right on the box [Made in India]
    Another bought the [very same name drugs] from Canada $!95 for a 90 day supply..Right on the box [Made in India]. He ain’t dead yet
    Quote Quote  
  21. Newegg has these for $13.60/100 AR. I think that's the cheapest I've ever seen them.

    Use coupon code BHD5139.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Newegg has these for $13.60/100 AR. I think that's the cheapest I've ever seen them.

    Use coupon code BHD5139.
    Yes, with free shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I think that 10% off code is only good today.
    Quote Quote  
  24. BuskerAlley.com zoobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountains
    Search Comp PM
    I'll think about it...mail-in rebates kinda blow and may never show up...
    Quote Quote  
  25. BuskerAlley.com zoobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountains
    Search Comp PM
    I thought about it and used the coupon code BHD5139
    I'm used to using the DVD-R

    Thx
    Quote Quote  
  26. I usually use the -Rs too. When I can get a deal like this I buy +Rs though.

    I've never had a problem with a Verbatim rebate. They usually come fast, around a month.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG
    Derex888

    Almost that you used is the Key Word I see a lot of posts with maybe, almost ,it might work etc,etc.

    Your Quote
    “You gotta be blind not to notice this [mal]practice before”

    -----------------------------------------------------------

    At 80 my eyes are not what they used to be but not all that bad. I think the real reason is all these disks have worked fine I’ve had NO problems and I don’t care were they were made

    A guy I know wouldn’t Buy any drugs, but from a USA druggist. $295 for 30 day supply
    right on the box [Made in India]
    Another bought the [very same name drugs] from Canada $!95 for a 90 day supply..Right on the box [Made in India]. He ain’t dead yet

    What is your point?
    I would think that at your respectable age you would have already know that there is nothing certain in the world, ever, hence me using word like "almost" means as close as possible to certainty.
    If I have said 'every undescribed country of origin means Made in India" I would have know myself it's a lie.
    I said "ALMOST every..." because that's how it is: almost every one of them, but NOT all.
    What the hell you wanted me to write differently?
    Or are you just picking on word "almost" because you have nothing else to say? (me thinks)

    And I won't say what I really think about your comparisons of DRUGS (medicine) to BLANK DISCS, instead I'm asking:
    are you really 80 years old? Somehow I don't believe it...
    but anyways, whatever your age is, FYI:
    "drugs" is a tightly controlled and regulated market. Even the silliest cheapest prescription drugs - regardless was it Made in USA or Made in India - all must pass FDA's long approval procedures that CHECK FOR QUALITY AND CONSISTENCY OF SUCH PRODUCT (among many other factors, like safety) before it can be even announced on US market.
    Do you know something I don't about any government agencies regulating and checking Blank Media safety and quality???

    Lastly, I don't doubt you've had many good burns with Made in India discs. I had too.
    But when fail burns happened - it never happened with Made in Japan blanks (unless it was hardware failure), it happened almost exclusively with blanks Made in India.
    Can you see the difference now?




    If you really are 80 year old, please take care of yourself. There aren't many people of your age actively using internet (if at all), certainly you can be proud of yourself. Even if we disagree - keep it up I bow my hat. Respect, Old Man.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Though labeling requirements in the USA vary somewhat depending on the product, generally speaking, the manufacturing process for a product must be completed in the USA for it to be sold here with no country of origin on the label.

    The Federal Trade Commission provides this explanation at http://www.ftc.gov/os/1997/12/epsmadeusa.htm : 'Where Customs determines that a good is not of foreign origin (i.e., the good undergoes its last substantial transformation in the United States), there is generally no requirement that it be marked with any country of origin. For most goods, neither the Customs Service nor the FTC requires that goods made partially or wholly in the United States be labeled with "Made in USA" or any other indication of U.S. origin.(6) The fact that a product is not required to be marked with a foreign country of origin does not mean that it is permissible to promote that product as "Made in USA." The FTC will consider additional factors, beyond those considered by the Customs Service in determining whether a product is of foreign origin, in determining whether a product may properly be represented as "Made in USA."'

    So, if a distributor is labeling his products in compliance with US regulations, no country of origin on the label means it was at least partially made in the USA, and possibly entirely made in the USA.

    [Edit] If we are talking about bulk Verbatim DVDs sold by an online retailer, they need to put something on the label indicating they were imported from somewhere. If they are selling DVDs from both Taiwan and India, they might still be able to get away with labeling them generically as "Made in Taiwan or India" but I don't think it is legal for them to say nothing at all about where they were made.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, they buy them bulk abroad (India, Taiwan, China) and pack them in cakes or spindles domestically in USA.
    So you get the shrink wrap and the spindle itself Made in USA, whilst blanks are still from abroad - and no country of origin on the label (but "Imported by ThisCorporation.com" instead).

    Next time I go buy blanks I'll take few pictures of the labels without country of origin
    Quote Quote  
  30. BuskerAlley.com zoobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountains
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg sold out of Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 100 Packs with their recent sale that included free shipping, 10% discount, and $8 mail-in rebate

    There are over 400 reviews of these discs at Newegg

    I just hand them out free anyway...What's 13.6 cents between friends?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads