VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't converted a video for a while and I'm guessing there's new stuff available. What's the best program out there in terms of final quality of FLV for converting MP4 to FLV?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can I ask why?

Most Flash applications can use .mp4 if you have h.264 video and aac audio. If you need .flv container for some reason, you can use ffmpeg to re-wrap the container - no time wasted re-encoding, no quality loss because the streams are just copied into the new container
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It definitely needs to be an FLV file, I'm sure of that. I encoded a high bitrate MP4, which I'll later use to upload to Youtube, etc. But I need to encode FLV, different frame size too than the MP4..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've not found a good way to go from MP4 to FLV. I would extract back out to a HuffYUV video + MPEG Layer II 384k file with SUPER, and then encode back to FLV with Adobe Flash Encoder. Other FLV encoders look like garbage compared to Adobe (even Procoder 3 is awful blocky crap).

H.264 is a better choice than FLV, for quality. I don't know why you're so sure it has to be FLV, as Flash player 10 (and some latter versions of 9) all play H.264 in an MP4 wrapper (may need to rename file to .flv for it to play in some web-players, however -- rename is fine).

Only benefit to FLV is it plays better on older systems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote