VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Friends,
    I need clear idea for following Specs:

I want to make 1CD(700 MB) movie from a DVD

Run Time: 2 Hrs 30 Mins Movie

Please suggest & answer the doubts here for great quality

which is Best Resolution can be taken for 1CD (700 MB)?
    640 or 608 or 592 or 576

which is best container for 1CD (Rips) with low bitrates(540 or 600 KBps)?
    X264 or MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would probably use 640 if you use the x264 video codec. But if the movies contains a lot of action scenes you might have to use lower resolution. Try convert some short examples and see for YOURself if it looks okey.

And x264 is a video codec and mkv is a container...maybe you mean mp4 or mkv?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why restrict yourself to an arbitrary 1 CD size file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I would probably use 640 if you use the x264 video codec. But if the movies contains a lot of action scenes you might have to use lower resolution. Try convert some short examples and see for YOURself if it looks okey.

And x264 is a video codec and mkv is a container...maybe you mean mp4 or mkv?
    I mean in which container, will the movie looks good either X264 codec( .MP4) or Matroska( .MKV) for 1CD size.

Thanks 4 giving quick reply
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Why restrict yourself to an arbitrary 1 CD size file.
    I want to make 1CD DVD-Rips with good quality without any blockings or pixel problems on maximizing the movie on any resolution in PC

Thank You
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't do it. 1 CD is not enough space to get a good quality clean encode that will look good fullscreen. You can have good quality, or you can cram it all onto one CD. But unless your running time is around 30 minutes, you can't have both.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    512x384 H.264 with 2-pass VBR, and a sub-1Mbps average bitrate (1.5Mbps max) ........ maybe.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that to get a clean encode at low bitrates you have to drop the resolution. The lower the resolution, the worse it will look when blown up to fullscreen on a high res monitor. It is a catch 22.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suA7f-1oyc
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You are trading off resolution in order to get fewer macroblock artifacts. There is no simple answer to the question of what resolution is optimal for a 700 MB CD. It will depend on the movie.

Use a resolution of 32x24 pixels and save as uncompressed RGB. That will fit on a 700 MB CD and you'll get absolutely no macroblock or DCT ringing artifacts. The video won't look very good blown up to full screen though!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but the benefit of H.264 is the included anti-block filtering.

Not a great solution, but what I suggested would be the best given the circumstances.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. The best resolution is not to do them. limiting yourself to 700mb creates too many compromises. Go to even 900mb and get much better quality, branch out into the uplands of 1200mb+ and you can really feel the quality, the room to breathe. Let the Bits run Free, without fear of running into each other.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mani4frenz
    which is best container for 1CD (Rips) with low bitrates(540 or 600 KBps)?
    X264 or MKV
    I think you might be a little confused about the quote above. x264 is a codec, like divx, xvid, theora .... for video, and mp3, ogg-vorbis, dts .... for audio. MKV is the container, as it contains video and/or audio, like MP4, AVI, OGM ...

An x264 encoded video wrapped inside an MKV container will have the same quality if it was wrapped inside the MP4 container. It's the codec and codec's settings that decide quality. The container only contains the streams.

If the question truely is about which container - if you are using x264 to encode the video, mkv is a good choice if you playback devices support it. If the question was about which video codec to use at such low bitrates - x264 has been shown to produce decent quality at low bitrates.

As others have echoed above, at these bitrate limitations, the quality won't be fabulous . But if size is the number one concern, you don't really have a choice
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote