VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey.

I've had the 360 for about 6 months now and have finally decided to get the HD DVD player for it. I am well aware of the winner in the format war but for $30 brand new with King Kong HD DVD(I've been meaning to pick up the dvd anyway) and over 400 highly discounted HD DVD movies it's easily worth the money. My main reason is that it can upconvert regular DVDs via the VGA connection. This is a huge plus for a lot of projector owners like myself whose component and HD signals are accepted through VGA ports.
    I presently use a Yamakawa 288/VGA dvd player as my dedicated DVD player due to it's great picture and it's ability to play everything(i.e. (S)VCDs, MP3, etc.). I would love to switch it out completely for the 360 with the HD DVD player but neither the 360 or it's HD DVD add on play the other media the 288 can play. More of an issue is the 360 and it's HD DVD cannot play other region DVDs, something the Yamakawa does extremely well.

My question, and I'm sure it's been asked before: Can the 360 or it's HDDVD add on be made region free? I have no desire to play out of region games as I am a moderate gamer at best. But as someone who still owns a large amount of original VCDs( yes, I use to buy them) and quite a few out of region DVDs, a region free player with multimedia playback capability would be a great replacement for my present player.

So again, DVD region free possible? Any hacks or modifications on the come? Any input would be welcomed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe hd-dvds did not have regions. So that would not be an issue there.

You would have to get the xbox 360 modified to be region free for standard def dvds. Game consoles are not designed to have software hacks for region dvd issues that I am aware of.

But beware if you already signed in on xbox live using a modded console will get you banned. Though I think they do have on-off switches so you can avoid that but you have to remember to do it each time.

It would be much simpler to get a standard dvd player that has a known hack for region free playing that does not require modification. Those are "remote hacks" that use a combination of remote control keys to gain access to that feature.

For a "mod chip" you would have to check the internet. For the 360 try xbox-scene.com as a jumping off point for mod chips. Make sure you are looking at the "360" section and not the xbox 1 section wherever you look if you decide to get it modded. - note the xbox-scene.com does not sell mod chips directly but has a store link for reputable dealers - I'd start with their recommendations first.

WARNING - opening the case or any soft mod if one is available for the 360 will void any preexisting warranty on the xbox 360.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

You're right about the HD DVDs. I remember they were being advertised as being able to play anywhere in the world. I have region hacked many DVD players, including my current one, the Yamakawa. Having a region free player is something I always prefer to have given my collection of out of region discs. Also, just the freedom of being able to buy any DVD online knowing I can watch it on my projector is a liberty I enjoy.

I am simply trying to streamline my home theater setup. I can keep my current dvd player and the 360 with HD player using a VGA switch box. The only drawbacks are the additional cables and shelf space required to accomodate all three units including the switchbox. I also have what might be an unfounded concern about not being able to hook up to my projector directly with the three units. I'm not sure if there is any image compromise or hinderance as a result of using a shared switchbox. Some people will tell you that there is while others will say the opposite.

There are far worse problems in the world, but I was just looking to have my cake and eat it too. By the way, I once hacked my portable DVD player to play (S)VCDs. Any chance there is a similar code or the 360? Just looking for some cake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't the 360 do vcd/svcd?

Worse comes to worse you can simply reauthor the vcd's as dvd with the audio set at 48khz and keep the video the same. many apps like tmpgenc dvd author will do this for you automatically. SVCD'S require more work to make into dvds.

The 360 should at least do vcd I imagine.

Of course you can always reencode to wmv. The 360 loves wmv. It can do mp4 but it is VERY VERY picky on what type of mp4 video it will play. It plays all wmv if done with "official" wmv specs.

Again if your not concerned about warranties or xbox live you can mod your 360 just be aware of the potential issues.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yoda.

I too was surprised but alas the 360, at least the unit I bought, doesn't play(s)VCDs. I figured thais was now a very basic function of most DVD players. I get me HD-DVD add on in a couple of days. I am holding on to the 1% chance, and even then I think I'm high-ending it, that the HD player plays these discs. If not, I'll be in the same boat. Hardly a nightmare.
    Quote Quote