VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    How can I rip my DVD's to Divx/Xvid with AC3 Audio, I currently have AVS Video Converter & it does a fine job at ripping, but the audio is in MP3, I would like to make it AC3.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Also what is needed to improve speed of encoding time?
    Father knows best.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGk comes to mind, for one...A faster CPU will help the encoding times, and running 1-pass encodes will certainly help some, although at the expense of quality...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ditto to t0nee1.

Also virtualdub will do the trick.

And as t0nee1 mentioned the only real way to increase encoding time is to get a faster processor.

Though certainly some steps like disabling any programs running in the background will increase performance as well. Also probably a disk defragmentation might not be a bad idea either. THough with modern harddrives I guess that isn't as much a factor anymore.

Edit - one other thing - many programs include a "priority" setting. Setting it to the highest priority setting will increase performance to a degree. THough at the cost of other programs running time. But as I mentioned if you want peak performance on encodes its best to do it without other programs running.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dudeman316
    How can I rip my DVD's to Divx/Xvid with AC3 Audio, I currently have AVS Video Converter & it does a fine job at ripping, but the audio is in MP3, I would like to make it AC3.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Also what is needed to improve speed of encoding time?
    I use DVD Decrypter for ripping
    I use Fairuse or Handbrake for encoding

My settings differ pretty much from what everyone else recommends (ie over kill) but I'm happy with my encodes

In Fairuse I encode 704x384 AC3 at 2 constant quality
    In Handbrake, I encode 720x480 AC3 at 94 constant quality

Then again, I'm also not trying to get my encodes on to a CD either
    Better encode times will depend on your CPU
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks all for your posts & I am not trying to get mine on cd-r either, I have WD TV Media player, & a 750 GB HDD, so file size isnt a factor for me.
    I have tried AVS Video Converter 6 & am happy with the video output, but I cant see anywhere to use ac3 audio, & I tried Fairuse today on a cartoon disc I have & was pleased with the results. & I figued I would eventually have to break down & get a multi core CPU, any recommendation on which CPU to get now?
    Father knows best.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would use Handbrake all the time if I knew what was up with the 12 bytes problem that Gspot reports. It plays fine on my stanalone DVD player, but this thing would play the petter pan theme if I put a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch in it

CPUs, I have a Q6600, but that's old now
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any Video Converter Free allows you to set your audio format, including AC3, during conversion setup.
    Quote Quote