VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was in JB Hi-Fi today and asked the nice staffer about the possibility of getting the Blu-ray burner (a BE06LU10 external) for my iMac. He has told me that the drive will not work with the Mac OS. The included software (PowerDVD and PowerProducer) certainly will not. What options are there for getting a BD-R drive for the Mac? And how easy will it be to make copies of my own discs?
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about Copying a commercial Blu-Ray ( as I don't think Blu-Ray ripping exists on the mac yet?)
    but Authoring can be accomplished with a copy of
    Toast Titanium 10, and a FW external blue ray drive like this one here.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's expensive. You can get a near-identical enclosure and the burner itself for more than $100 less.

1. Blu-ray Firewire/eSata enclosure $60 from Newegg.com
    2. LG Blu-ray Burner $180 from Newegg.com

But yes, you can use a burner.

Not sure about copying discs necessarily either. You may need to take advantage of BootCamp, Parallels or VMware Fusion if it turns out to be Windows-only right now.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is ridiculously expensive (should I have specified that I was in Australia?). JB Hi-Fi wants $549 for the drive I was initially looking at, which is why I am so hesistant in the first place. For that kind of money, I would want to be able to buy the drive, import the real X-Men films from Amazon, burn Region Free copies, and film myself watching them to send to Fox.

Hopefully one day in the near future, Steve Jobs will wake up to himself and realise that in spite of all their problems, discs are not going anywhere anytime soon.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Nilfennasion
    Hopefully one day in the near future, Steve Jobs will wake up to himself and realise that in spite of all their problems, discs are not going anywhere anytime soon.
    It isn't "discs" per se that Apple "doesn't like": after all, they have tirelessly promoted the Superdrive DVD/CD burner option for years. What Jobs and Apple don't care for is the incredibly convoluted DRM technology behind BluRay, and the royalty schedule Sony wants for the privilege of adding an expensive option to limited-production Macs that very few would actually use BluRay with. Its purely economics: if Sony gets desperate enough to cut a deal with Apple, you'll see an "Ultradrive" option in a matter of days. Back in the stone age, Sony couldn't give away 3.5" floppy drives until they made a pact with Apple to put them in the original 9" Macintosh. That history may repeat itself eventually.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto

It isn't "discs" per se that Apple "doesn't like": after all, they have tirelessly promoted the Superdrive DVD/CD burner option for years. What Jobs and Apple don't care for is the incredibly convoluted DRM technology behind BluRay, and the royalty schedule Sony wants for the privilege of adding an expensive option to limited-production Macs that very few would actually use BluRay with. Its purely economics: if Sony gets desperate enough to cut a deal with Apple, you'll see an "Ultradrive" option in a matter of days. Back in the stone age, Sony couldn't give away 3.5" floppy drives until they made a pact with Apple to put them in the original 9" Macintosh. That history may repeat itself eventually.
    I'd like to think this would happen, as reports that VOD, Online Web Viewing ( Youtube, NOT hulu) ,
    and consumer personal media devices ( iPods, PSP, Zune) are still cutting into disc sales
    in a substantial number. While I don't think Sony will get "desperate", I do think that Sony's partners
    (Paramount, WB) will pressure them to "explore all avenues of revenue" to try and shore
    up sales in the coming months, as DVD sales will start to slump due to crap releases
    (Taken, not withstanding) over the next few months.

But knowing Apple, it won't be an iMac / Macbook option; like FW is now,
    Apple will regulate Blu-Ray to the higher end of the product line,
    the Mac Pros and MacBook Pros.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote