VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a video that when I open up in media info it shows the following data: 1920x1080 16/9

When I play that video in VLC at the default aspect ratio (16:9) - it IS stretched - if I change the aspect ratio to 16:10 I get black bars on both sides and that LOOKS correct. Whats going here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's 1:1 square pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    It's 1:1 square pixels.
    Then why is it when I set the 1:1 aspect ratio in VLC it gets squished even more?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it's 1920x1080, then that's the way it's meant to be played; it doesn't get resized. It has a 1:1 DAR. What kind of a file is it - AVI, MKV, MP4, what? Can you post the Media Info pic?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Pic below- but at 1920x1080 its stretched horizontally - it only looks right if I set VLC to display 16:10 then it squeezes it back in...

Quote Quote  
  6. What happens if you use another player? e.g. smplayer or kmplayer?

Where did this file come from? It's possible that it wasn't encoded correctly e.g. with wrong 16:9 aspect flag, when should have been 1:1 square pixels
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I'm on OS x but even in QT it displays the same streached image. - yes it is possible that the 16:9 flag was set incorrectly, but how do I know for sure?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tb582
    I'm on OS x but even in QT it displays the same streached image. - yes it is possible that the 16:9 flag was set incorrectly, but how do I know for sure?
    Open it in VDub(Mod) or in DGIndex (DGIndex will open it more quickly). If it looks "normal", then it's meant to be 1:1.

If it does look normal after being opened in DGIndex, and you want to make it so it plays normal all the time without having to reconfigure your player, then first demux it (DGIndex, File->Save Project and Demux Video), run the resulting M2V through ReStream set for 1:1 instead of its current 16:9, and then remux (ImagoMPEG-Muxer). I have no idea which, if any, of these tools work on Macs.
    Quote Quote