VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    don't even know if this is the right forum for this, sorry for noobing

alright here's the situation, I have a sony dcr-dvd101 camera that records direct to mini dvd - I recorded some stuff and instead of just finalizing the disc right there i pulled it out and didn't even think about it - until today when I have to pull that video off and edit it.

So, following some bad advice (because I didn't have the camera with me today) I used dvd decrypter to try and close the track/session/disc and every 'closing' option gave me i/o errors - so I drove across town and got the camera to try and finalize it and now the camera says 'disc read error' and won't even let me preview the video on the camera like it did before.

i NEED this video, anything I can do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ISOBuster, CDRoller. Neither are free, but people have reported e of the other to have worked for them getting material of discs that can't be read elsewhere. Some have also reported being able to get material off unfinalised discs using just the free features in ISOBuster.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have successfully used ISObuster free to recover the data from unfinalized discs made by my DVD recorder. This is what I did:

Recover data
    1. Open ISOBuster
    2. Select DVD drive (If you can see "Track 01" in the left hand pane, it can recover at least some of your data)
    3. Open Options menu
    4. Select "Image File"
    4. Select "ISO/BIN/TAO" Tab
    5. Uncheck both boxes
    6. Close dialog window
    7. Right click on "Track 01" in left-hand pane
    8. Select "Extract Track 01"
    9. Select "Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav)"
    10. Choose where you want to save the data. (It will copy everything it can find as one big .tao file)

Demux audio and video
    1. Run VOBEdit
    2. Click the "Open" button at the bottom of the main VobEdit window.
    3. Select "All Files (*.*)" from the "Files of Type" drop-down menu in the dialog window
    4. Select the .tao file and click the "Open" button in the dialog window
    5. Click the "Demux" button at the bottom of the main program window.
    6. Select "MPEG Stream" in the Demux area of the Dialog window
    7. Click the "OK" button
    8. Click the "Demux" button at the bottom of the main program window.
    9. Select audio stream type for your camera in the Demux area of the Dialog window
    10. Click the "OK" button

You can edit and author the video and audio you demultiplexed if your editing/authoring package accepts it.
    Alternately, use ImagoMPEG-Muxer to create an mpg, or use IFOEdit to author a menuless DVD, from the demultiplexed audio and video.

Good luck!

[Edit] Oops, I see LS already recommended my method.
    Quote Quote