VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to remove audio hiss using VirtualDub audio filters?

Thanks!

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have never tried filtering audio in VirtualDub so I cannot help you with that but I suggest that you try a program that is dedicated to sound instead of a video editor. Why not take a look at audacity?
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The newest version of Audacity (1.2.6) has a much improved noise filter. You take a sample of the noise and it uses that to shape the filter for removal. You can also use the high pass and low pass filters. I've had fairly good results with really bad audio with hum and hiss in the background. You have to be careful not to overfilter, but Audacity does have a 'undo' so you can experiment quite a bit without committing to anything.

Using VirtualDub, I usually use Full audio processing and save out the audio as a WAV. Then import that to Audacity. I leave the file open in VD while I'm working with the audio, so it's a fairly quick process.

When I'm finished with the audio processing, I add the audio file back into VirtualDub, disable or delete the old audio and save the audio and video with Direct stream copy. Use a new file name when you save it so you don't overwrite the original file.

The newest version of Audacity can export in quite a few formats, so it's even better now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try the lowpass filter in VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For quick and dirty hiss reduction, it's hard to beat lowpass filtering. But if you are at all fussy about bandwidth, you might want to consider redwudz's recommendation of Audacity's advanced noise removal functions. Lowpass filtering is very effective at reducing hiss, but at the cost of a rolled-off high end. If you don't care about losing treble and upper midrange freqs, or if the amount of hiss reduction you seek is moderate, then lowpass filtering is the fastest way to reduce (but not eliminate) hiss. Audacity's noise removal function can be as effective at hiss reduction, but often with a less obtrusive reduction in desired spectral content. It can, however, introduce other artifacts, so some experimentation is in order. So you have a couple of good choices, depending on your particular goals.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Goldwave, it's only $30.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also Free Audio Editor... free version packs a lot.
    Quote Quote