VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a DVD with a French film. Unfortunately it turns out that there is no subtitles or dubbing features on it.
    What I managed so far is to copy it on to my desktop and also I've found a couple of websites from where I have downloaded English subtitles for it, in .srt format. The copied DVD folder consists of two sub folders, one AUDIO_TS which is empty, and one VIDEO_TS which consists of some .BUP, .IFO and .VOB files.
    I've tried everything, I think, like embedding the .srt folder in all thinkable places and renaming it, etc. etc. Is it at all possible to somehow get subtitles work on a DVD at all? I'm perfectly happy to watch it on my Mac from the copied version if that's the only option. Can anybody help a really new newbie? And... I'm on a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We have guides on how to do this. The process is easy - under Windows.

Good luck with that Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your response, Jman. However, I am still a newbie and somewhat confused. When trying to find a guide on this forum (I suppose that is what you mean when you say "we") there are so many alternatives and external applications in the air that I really don't know where to start. That's why I wrote as specific as I could with file/folder names in order to get a specific solution. Would you be able to help me a little bit on the way, even if it is only in Windows? Perhaps directing me to the correct solution process here? Sorry for my ignorance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html

I think Method 2 is the better of the 2. As jman98 says, we have guides for this. Check the sticky at the top of the Subtitles Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks both of you for helping.
    In the meantime I did some cruising on the internet and found a program which, as far as I can see and experienced so far, is doing the job beautifully, and more or less automatically. And her name is HANDBRAKE, and it is absolutely free, mac or windows. You wizz kids here have probably heard of it.
    Anyways, I just input my source (the original film folder with all its different files), then chose the output format as AVI, and voilá, a .srt file can be embedded in that folder. And it works!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Your original post said you wanted to add subtitles to a DVD. Now you say something completely different.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We've heard of Handbrake. It does NOT do what you asked about. It's not our fault if you can't correctly describe what you want to do. manono pointed you to how to add subtitles to a DVD, which is exactly what you asked about. We're not too good at mind reading.

By the way, our guides are on how to do this under Windows.
    Quote Quote