VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok gang,

Spent the past few hours poking around here... and saw several "similar" questions/answers as it seems many others are trying to do this same set up as well...

But, as the newbie forum states, for those totally new and clueless to this world, I must confess I'm totally lost here ...

I currently run VLC for a variety of things... and am now looking to take a LIVE cable feed, and "broadcast" it to one of my websites... I'm working on "logistics" for all that part now... But where I'm a little confused, is "how" to make all this happen?

In looking at VLC's topology map, (BTW, their Forum is what got me to your site - so hats off to them - excellent info and group here) - but the way I look at it is this... Cable/Sat feed + "magic box" + VLC + server = out to the web... and then it gets really foggy (I've been reading up on different codes and formats and such to work within different browsers etc... but one step at a time aye?)

So, I'm wondering if there's a thread or documentation around here that kinda walks a n00b step by step thru the setup process -AND- gives recommendations as to what hardware I'll need... (or what's "best") to use for capture/encoding/broadcast?

I know from reading, parts of all this have been asked several times over... so for that, I apologise in advance... but really, couldn't find any "1-2-3" process - as it seems everyone is at different stages in the process.. Whereas I'm totally at "Square 1"...

Sorry to ramble - Does this make any sense? (as to what I wish to do?)

Also, I asked on another "general" board, about how to "hide" my server via VPN - and make my feed harder to trace... it was suggested that I set up a VPN and then ship the feed overseas... and then back... Given the bandwidth needed/used - not sure if this is very viable for a decent picture in the end ... but am open to trying anything...

All that said, when I see other posts listing 4 things needed - "TV Card - Encoder - VLC" etc - I'm looking for more detail and recommendation(s) please - as my budget is tight on this project... and would be nice to get it "right" the first time...

Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any advice and feedback you may have -

Cheers,

B

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Easy_Streaming
    Thanks - I had already read over that... but omits allot (for my situation) as I'm running MAC OS X and some streaming features are only available for Windows... So I'm contemplating putting together a Windows Video Server to do the deed - Plus this does not fully address encoding and receiving and bandwidth and preferred hardware platforms etc that I asked opinions about...

Cheers,

B
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jsut browsing the web and landed on video help (as I used to when I played with my streaming a while ago - felt like contributing so am now registered!)
    Well 2 things - you need an input, do you have a satellite card in your pc? they're just like tv cards (pci) but take in a coaxial connector. General problem is the signal that enters then is not decoded so you need CAM's to take your subscription card - can get messy. All purposes boxes as these exist, such as "dreambox" which is a decoder based on Linux OS (meaning it's a linux box too so install apache etc and external streaming via port-forwards etc)
    Also a Mac is a linux box (some may disagree) - I've succesfully installed apache and php5 on my iphone and ssh-ing into it is very similar to a *nix box. This to say vlc from the command line should work just as is would on an *nix box but I could be wrong. But more for mac, have you looked at the Darwin streaming server? It can be quite useful especially for mp4 encapsulations.
    There you go hope it helps!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ookivlc
    jsut browsing the web and landed on video help (as I used to when I played with my streaming a while ago - felt like contributing so am now registered!)
    Well 2 things - you need an input, do you have a satellite card in your pc? they're just like tv cards (pci) but take in a coaxial connector. General problem is the signal that enters then is not decoded so you need CAM's to take your subscription card - can get messy. All purposes boxes as these exist, such as "dreambox" which is a decoder based on Linux OS (meaning it's a linux box too so install apache etc and external streaming via port-forwards etc)
    Also a Mac is a linux box (some may disagree) - I've succesfully installed apache and php5 on my iphone and ssh-ing into it is very similar to a *nix box. This to say vlc from the command line should work just as is would on an *nix box but I could be wrong. But more for mac, have you looked at the Darwin streaming server? It can be quite useful especially for mp4 encapsulations.
    There you go hope it helps!
    Hi ookivlc -

Thanks for taking the time to register and responding to my question...

All good info - but my head is now warped in a totally other direction, as I've been leaning away from Linux/Mac in light of the discovery regarding some limitations with VLC (streaming) using Linux...

But to answer your Q's - No, I have not bought any card yet (or external device) - as I wasn't sure which platform I'd be running this on... and I know that sounds stupid, but I do have location issues - servers are on the lower level - and have more access to cables/sat etc... but my "office" and where I mash things up is on the 3rd level - so thought about using my Linux box there (this is "small time" for now.... but could grow into several thousand viewers) - so, I need scalability - and to also watch "costs"... hence my question about good/decent/bad video cards...

Now you've raised the Coax Connection and CAM's issue - which is TOTALLY news to me (not shouting, just emphasizing) as I thought all PCI video cards would accept coax... well, now that I think about it more - it's all composite or RCA aren't they? So, yeah, I'd much rather have a coax connection vs. RCA (if that is what those are) I know some have S-Video - but don't really want a rats nest of cables.

Anyway - I'm not at all familiar with "CAM" - so will Google it and see what I can find - but per the topology map I attached in my 1st post, I guess that would be the CBL/SAT Feed - but am unclear as to what encoding issues this raises (again, will research it more - but as of this moment, have no clue about it) But you're saying that is THE preferred way to go? Also - if running cable, what is the subscription card stuff about? I thought a "feed was a feed"... This has never entered my thought process before... have to utilize or decode or hak my subscription card? Can you elaborate on that a bit more pls?

I've not looked at DreamBox - or Darwin for that matter... So will assume these are pre-built media servers of sorts? That sounds sweet if their not priced out of the sky... I'm trying to do this with as much of my existing equipment as possible.... but will research that as well... Thanks.

Appreciate the Mac info - but am too far down the pike now to change streams (no pun intended LOL) - So, it looks like I have some homework to do! - and will let you know what I think - and where I'm sure I'll get stuck with other questions...

Thanks again for the advice!

Cheers,

B

PS: Beyond these media boxes, can you give a brand name for a decent Sat card with coax that I can shop prices on? Thnx!

(LATER) So is this something like what you were talking about with Deambox? I see it's Linux around an IBM processor... Will assume this shreds the cable/sat feed into something computer friendly (vs. my TiVo?) TIA

http://www.dreambox500s.com/DreamBox-DM500C.html

(MUCH LATER) - Oops - that is just a cable receiver box.... This is a Sat/CBL DVR.... so maybe that is what you're referring to?

http://www.dreambox500s.com/DreamBox-DM600PVR.html

My current set up is Comcast Digital Cable - but looking at going to DirecTV this week... so not really sure where or how this would fit in - unless it's a decoding issue?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming on your LAN for personal use is one thing, but onto a website is completely different. You aren't likely to get authorization from ANY TV/Cable/SAT channel to stream their property over the internet.

And I realize you aren't getting much feedback, but you need to keep in mind what you are trying to do isn't that common. On top of that, the majority of users here are Windows based.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Streaming on your LAN for personal use is one thing, but onto a website is completely different. You aren't likely to get authorization from ANY TV/Cable/SAT channel to stream their property over the internet.

And I realize you aren't getting much feedback, but you need to keep in mind what you are trying to do isn't that common. On top of that, the majority of users here are Windows based.
    Thanks for all that -

I've pretty much dumped the Linux option in lieu of windows - in case I wasn't clear about that in my last response... and as to personal vs private - that isn't really the issue - think more in lines of uStream.tv or Justin.tv - Loads of people are doing it there with both Linux and Windows, but are pretty tight lipped - as I suspect they broke their necks (like I am) trying to sort what works "best" and not eager to share their success...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Br3nton3,

Well I stream tv on a web site but I just stream DVB-T - so I jsut have a tv card in my linux box and the aerial coming in (no need for signal decoding for free to air). FOr satellite you need a DVB-S pci card such as these I guess: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97820
    problem there is your sattelite signal comes in, which is fine but if it's a subscription based service (like CanalSat in france or Sky in the UK etc) then you need your card to decode the signal. That's when the CAM's come in to put in your card. But if what you want to stream is FTA (free-to-air) sattelite then just the signal coming in to the pci DVB-S card would be fine (no decoding needed).
    Then googling "vlc stream live tv" or "vlc dvb" would get you on the right path.
    I used command line (wrote a php script to change channels remotely) but my command was something like this:
    $cmd='vlc --sout "#transcode{vcodec="FLV1",vb="800",scale="1",acode c="mp3",ab="128",samplerate="44100",channels="2",f ps=15,deinterlace,audio-sync}td{access=http{mime=video/x-flv},mux=ffmpeg{mux=flv},dst=:808'.(($adapter*1)+1 ).'/stream.flv,name=tvadapter'.$adapter.'}" --color -I dummy --sout-keep --sout-transcode-width=576 --sout-transcode-height=324 --sout-ffmpeg-hurry-up --ffmpeg-hurry-up --no-drop-late-frames --rt-priority -vvv --daemon --dvb-adapter '.$adapter.' /var/web/webhop.net/uk/flv/channels/'.$channel.".conf"
    Since my tv card has 2 adapters I can stream 2 different channels at the same time (adapter0 and adapter1) - that particular command converted to flv.
    Regarding windows I once installed GBPVR, it wasn't bad at all, I think it may help you for live streaming possibly (can't remember).
    Well all this info is not a clear-cut solution for you but I hope it contributes to putting you in the right direction, good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ps: I wouldn't worry too much about what server is where - once on your internal network/router, you can stream for on pachine to the other. For my 2 channels streaming at the same time, I sent one stream to port 8080 and the other to port 8081 (that's on the internal network)- then on your router you need to port-forward these ports to make them external so that the external web site can see these ports and access the stream (if you want all this to be external I guess)
    I'm french and live in the UK. I installed my own satellite to watch french tv and works great! wanted to share this with some french friends here but since I have to decode the signal with my subscription card, a basic DVB-S card would have the french satelite signal come in fine but not decoded so ... I gave up. My friends can get their own satelite!! Otherwise I could output from the decoder into the linux box but you'd have to change channels on the decoder and they'd have to watch what I'm watching! that is a solution though if you want to stream the same channel all the time but then your decoder must always be on the same channel. If that's the case then you don't need a DVB-S card, just audio/video input (outputted from the decoder into the win/linux/mac box) would be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. merci beaucoup for the extra help ookivic-

The "links" you supplied were of great use... and help... as well as the windows GPL media server software (GBPVR) - for I think now, with a "C" card (as I currently use cable over sat) - that will go into one of my Windows servers, the use the GBPVR for recording... then add VLC streaming on top... and that seems (on paper!!) to be great solution - THANKS!!!

I am in the USA though, so I think the card you use would not work here (Hz ratings and such) - but will shop them... and then get the GBPVR going and think this may work out easier than I thought, as there is no CAM issue (our feed is not encrypted) -

I also appreciate you sharing your "scenario" as to how you take your French feed, and are able to port it into the UK... for that is kinda similar to what I wish to do... So, I will tackle the "basics" first... then look at dual feeds, and channel changing (codes) more later... but you've been a tremendous help and given me a great starting point - and for that I really am in your debt!

Thanks for taking the time... I'll let you know how things progress!

Brent
    Quote Quote