VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new HDTV. I want to hook up a dedicated box to it for media only. I have been web crawling site after site and wound on here and figured i'd register. Looks like you all know what you are talking about.

I have an LG model 32LG70. Its 1080p.

So my question is, what would be the BEST way to hook the video up to the TV? The tv has hdmi of course, and VGA inputs. I know composite/s-vid is out of the question.

Some sites I read say its okay to use the VGA, but does that give you 1080?

Then I get confused with the DVI-I/DVI-D/DVI-A...haha.

In my opinion I thought to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable and hook it up that way, but then how would I get sound? The VGA input has a sound input associated with it.

Any DVI output okay? Or there particular video cards that are needed to achieve 1080p?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hiya,
    VGA and DVI do not come with audio - you'll need to run a separate audio cable from the PC to your HDTV for this; only HDMI carries both audio & visual information. Whilst most PC video cards have DVI slots, some will come with HDMI ports on them also (you need to hook up an audio cable to this from inside the PC). Personally my set up uses DVI to HDMI and audio is via optical to a separate amplifier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That TV supports 1080p60 with Just Scan (pixel for pixel mapping, no overscan). Use HDMI or a DVI to HDMI cable. Set the graphics card to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz.

Some graphics cards with HDMI outputs have drivers that include audio. If not, you have to run audio separately. SPDIF or stereo RCA.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much. I appreciate your help
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Set the graphics card to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz.
    If you watch movies with 24fps, this might lead to a noticeable juddering effect (at least it does on my TV). I set mine to 1920x1080 at 24Hz - the TV can run at 120Hz (i.e. 5:5 - a multiple of 24Hz) and so should not cause any juddering.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by me-eyes
    Set the graphics card to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz.
    If you watch movies with 24fps, this might lead to a noticeable juddering effect (at least it does on my TV).
    It's worth a try. A 120 Hz TV should be able to display 24 fps film arriving at 60 fps (via 3:2 repeats) without judder (depending on which level of processing you select on the TV). What happens when you display 30 Hz or 60 fps material? With the computer is putting out only 24 frame per second I assume you lose lots of frames?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With the computer is putting out only 24 frame per second I assume you lose lots of frames?
    My own TV is the Toshiba 40ZF35DB and can display at 100Hz (I'm in UK - we can't get 120Hz sets) but is capable of 24FPS - it adds in a new frame after the 24th frame and so there is no noticeable judder. I have to manually switch the PC graphics between 24Hz (for Bluray discs) and 25Hz (for region 2 DVD) which is a pain, but the end effect is smooth playback. Can't say I've got any videos with 30FPS so can't comment on what the playback would be like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a $50 dollar Nvidia 8500GT video card [Ebay] with HDTV out and a HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card [SPDIF Toslink optical out] ... I plug it all into my Pioneer VSX-815 Receiver and the Component Video outputs go to my Sony HDTV 32inch LCD TV ... I use it as my monitor and my HDTV ... with my system I have setup in my garage ... works great .... Check Walmart for info on the Sony 32inch LCD HDTV ... works great.

The Sony HDTV has the inputs ... VGA ... Component ... HDMI ... S-VHS ... Antenna

Pioneer VSX 815-S 7.1 channel 700 Watt Receiver

At the moment Ebay has this for auction ... nice price ... I should submit a bid on it.

The receiver comes with manual, remote, and microphone only. $27 s/h anywhere in USA.

I did a bid ... I'm winning at the moment .... $20 bid ...

End time: Apr-30-09 18:07:42 PDT (1 day 12 hours)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-VSX-815-S-7-1-channel-700-Watt-Receiver_W0QQitemZ350194185...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Quote Quote