VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased a Blackmagic Intensity Pro to capture game walkthroughs on my Xbox 360, and am not sure if I have all of the equipment I need yet. I have a couple questions about hooking everything up.

COMPONENT:
    I have the pro version, so I can do component with the BM. How do you actually hook it up with this option? Is it:

Component cables (Blue Red Green, Red White) IN to the back of the Blackmagic, and then IN to the back of my HDTV via some kind of a component splitter? How do you play on your TV and capture on the PC at the same time using the component set up?

HDMI:
    I think this one goes:
    HDMI splitter into HDMI-out port on Xbox 360. One cable goes into the back of the Blackmagic, the other into the back of the HDTV. Is that correct? This seems to make sense. What's a good HDMI splitter to use?

Also, with this hookup, do I need an actual HD computer monitor in order to edit the captured footage? My monitor is a semi old NEC LCD1565 and is definitely not HD.

Lastly, since my computer is about 20 feet from my PC, will I lose capture quality if I end up using cable extenders to go from my Xbox/HDTV all the way over to the Blackmagic on my PC?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I just finished hooking up my 360 to my Blackmagic Intensity via HDMI.

I use a passive HDMI splitter from the 360 with a HDMI cable to the Intensity and a HDMI to DVI-D cable for the TFT. This means I can record and play without any kind of lag.

You will probably want an in-line HDMI amplifier for the cable run back to the PC. Or you can buy an active HDMI 1x2 splitter to begin with.

As for your monitor, it is relatively small and doesn't support HD resolutions, but that won't stop you from being able to edit footage on it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, thanks for the tip with the HDMI splitter! I figured that's what I needed but wasn't quite sure. A couple follow up questions though.

When you say:
    I use a passive HDMI splitter from the 360 with a HDMI cable to the Intensity and a HDMI to DVI-D cable for the TFT. This means I can record and play without any kind of lag.
    Do you mean to say that you are capturing with your PC (what are you using? I was going to use Premiere Pro CS3), and then also simultaneously playing on your PC as well? How? Do you have two monitors? I'm not sure how you would capture AND play on the same monitor.

Anyone else have any insight into hooking up the 360/TV/Blackmagic with component?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use VirtualDub to capture the video. After that you load the capture file into your editing program.

I only have one monitor, but it has dual inputs (DVI + VGA), so I can switch sources between the 360 and PC, so when I'm recording I have the 360 up, as obviously I don't need to be looking at the PC.

PS. Incase you're not aware you need a fast PC to capture HD footage. To compress to MJPG in real-time you need a minimum of a 2ghz dual-core cpu for 720p/30fps footage. Or else you buy a very big hard disk array, i.e. 3x750GB in RAID0 and capture uncompressed, but I wouldn't recommend this because working with such massive files gets very tiresome.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips with capturing/playing on one monitor. I'll keep that option in mind if I upgrade my monitor at some point down the road.

And yeah, I'm in the process of building a pretty powerful PC for this. It will be:

2.66 GHZ core 2 duo CPU
    2x 250 GB hard drives in RAID0
    1x 250 GB hard drive as primary
    GeForce 9400 GT video card

I figure that should suffice for capturing in Motion JPEG, but probably doesn't quite cut it for capturing uncompressed. What do you think? I hear the difference between MJPEG and uncompressed (for the purposes of capturing game walkthroughs) is pretty negligible considering how much of a headache uncompressed can be.

Even so, I'll probably need to invest in like a terrabyte external hard drive to store all of the videos at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  6. it looks like they discontinued the Intensity and dropped the price on the Intensity Pro to US$199
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this problem. I am using the HDMI input and Output. The picture is amazing, but the audio is grunged, mushy, and skippy. I can't seem to fix it. Can someone help? Also I am using Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 with latest updates
    Quote Quote