VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone. I'm currently cleaning out my computer and uninstalling a lot of programs. The computer runs great, no real problems or anything like that. I defragment, run various anti-spyware software (Adaware, SpyBot, Windows Defender, etc...), anti-virus software (AVG in case anyone is wondering), and also CCleaner all on a regular basis. I did recently run a script to reset something in the registry from Microsoft when I couldn't get XP SP3 to install, so I don't know if that did any optimization or compressing. I got SP3 to install just fine after running that registry script. I also run all the Windows updates regularly.

I'm very careful about what software I put on my machine and run a pretty tight ship. However, I'm wondering if I could possibly optimize my system further by running software that will clean out the registry. Sure, CCleaner has a great feature that will clean out any invalid registry keys and values, but it does NOT compress and optimize anything in the registry. From what I understand, the registry grows over time from installing and uninstalling software.

The last time I reformatted my main operating system hard drive was over three years ago in February of 2006. The machine runs great and since I run a tight ship like I said and keep up to date with all the maintenance, everything is still running smooth. But like I said, since I recently took out a lot of programs and applications that I don't use anymore, I'm sure the registry is a bit fragmented and in need of being compressed and defraged. I don't want to reformat my machine because I don't really see any need to since everything is running good along with spending all the time it takes to do that. It's not even all that sluggish when restarting, but I'm sure it could run a little faster and fresher if the registry gets optimized. I'm sure that's the main issue with computers when people reformat and reinstall everything fresh, I'm sure it's mostly the registry. If that can be simply sorted out, there would be no need for a reformat. I would like to avoid a reformat as much as possible, and like I said, there is no real need since everything is running good. I just want to optimize a machine that is already running good because I'm more than certain that optimizing the registry could speed up my computer a little bit more. The last time the computer was all installed fresh was three years ago after all.

I was Googling around for the subject for compressing the registry and found this software called, Registry Defragmenter & Compactor by a company called Acelogix. http://www.acelogix.com/regcompact.html

I've never heard of them before and have no idea if it's any good. I'm thinking of buying it, but wanted to check in with anyone who may be more of a registry expert who can best give me a better answer on this matter.

Can someone please help me here and let me know which would be the best method that I should take and if that software should do it? Any helpful answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ["unhelpful" answer deleted at the request of the OP]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Midzuki
    ["unhelpful" answer deleted at the request of the OP]
    How come you deleted your post? I have it emailed to me from the notification so I have the names of the programs you use. I came back to thank you for your reply and saw you removed it. Why? I thought it was helpful.

Does anyone else have anything they would like to add?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use PerfectDisk to defragment. It has plenty of advanced options and should do what you want. I would not let it constantly defragment in the backround/when idle though. Instead set up a schedule to run it regularly or just run it manually.

It works for me, so read up on it. It may or may not fit the bill. Just in case, don't install more than one third party disk defragmentor, although you probably already know that.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Apologies for the misunderstanding. I am a rather slow "keyboarder",
    and noticed you had edited your original post just one minute after I had
    uploaded mine. Maybe the expression "any helpful answers..." already was
    present in the "first version" of your post, but I paid attention to it only in the
    2nd reading anyway, and thought that it was a reference to my reply...
    Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

ShaneJensen wrote:
    Hello. Why did you delete your post in my registry thread as "unhelpful"? I found it to be VERY helpful. Thankfully I had the email notification thing enabled, so I got your post emailed to me and saved. Your software sounds a lot better than the one I found and linked in that thread. So I'm just VERY confused as to why you had you post deleted as "unhelpful" (or deleted at all for that matter) when it WAS indeed helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Registry Booster to defrag the registry, Registry Mechanic to compact it.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    I use Registry Booster to defrag the registry, Registry Mechanic to compact it.
    That sounds great. How well does it do? Do you notice a smoother run with your system when you keep up with running these?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It typically only helps boot time, operation remains the same.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Extremely minimal gain for fairly large risk. Other than occassional cleaning, don't mess with it.

No, it is NOT just the registry. A major factor, sure, but after a decent cleaning for unused entries and such, and thinning out startup programs, there is not much performance boost to be had here.

More RAM, BIOS upgrades, HD defrag, removing Temp files, correcting BIOS tweaks and timings, minor overclocks, better cooling, are all a better investment of time and effort.

Getting a better mousepad is probably more worthwhile.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using these two FREE pieces of software, I use them to keep things less cluttered

They work great for removing plenty of dead rubbish and temporary files left over from old software that doesn't uninstall correctly

CCleaner
    Glarysoft Registry Repair

Both are safe as they offer the option to backup your registry but as yet I have not had any issues with corruptions or otherwise and have been using both of them for a couple of years at least, and are updates pretty frequently. Especially CCleaner

CCleaner can also disable or delete unwanted items from your startup, so you have the option of disabling it to see what happens and then deleting it when you're sure it isn't really needed. You will be surprised just how much software is loaded in the background and isn't really required, like checking for software updates

Also, Your Uninstaller Pro is VERY good at uninstalling software and removing all the leftover junk that software doesn't bother to uninstall. Just remember to change the match settings to average otherwise it will do exactly the same job as Microsoft Add/Remove Uninstaller ... which is pretty much hopeless

There is also plenty of free registry defrag/compacters that do basically the same job, but if you use those use them after cleaning out your registry
    Quote Quote  
  12. I used advanced defrag to solved my problem which mostly on my hard disk and registry which hang a lots. Since I using advanced defrag my computer quite ok solved my problem.
    Quote Quote