VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you know of any software, or some easy to follow instructions on how to convert VCDs (not SVCD's) to DVD, keeping all the languages and subtitles, please reply with your recommendations.

Thanks.

2. only one audio track and no subs allowed in vcd format, so i'm not sure what you are asking for.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    only one audio track and no subs allowed in vcd format, so i'm not sure what you are asking for.
    I just ordered some Chinese recent release VCD's (which I have not received yet), and they claim to have two or three different subtitles each, one of which is English. otherwise I won't be able to understand the movies.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-2-vcd-hong-kong-version/1014037901-0-0-0-en/info.html

Check the above description.

Are you saying they have misrepresented all of the VCDs that claim to have subtitles they are selling?

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    noyou - You're both right, but minidv2dvd is more technically correct than you. Here's the deal. VCD does not support SELECTABLE SUBTITLES. Those 2 words are the key. You know how on DVDs you may be able to pick from more than 1 subtitle and turn them on and off as you wish? You can't do that on VCD. VCDs can have subtitles, but they are "burned in" subs. That means that they are always part of the video - they cannot be turned off or removed.

YesAsia is a reputable firm. I've bought from them for years. Yes, their VCDs have subtitles if they say they do, but they are normal VCD subtitles. As I explained, they are always on.

Note that the audio on Chinese language VCDs is sometimes in Mandarin in one channel and Cantonese in the other. This can be a big mess when converting to DVD and may require you to do some special things to split the channels yourself.

We have various guides on converting VCD to DVD. Also, there are 2 programs that can do it for you. There is SVCD2DVD and SVCD2DVDMPG. The first is not free. The second one is.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    noyou - You're both right, but minidv2dvd is more technically correct than you. Here's the deal. VCD does not support SELECTABLE SUBTITLES. Those 2 words are the key. You know how on DVDs you may be able to pick from more than 1 subtitle and turn them on and off as you wish? You can't do that on VCD. VCDs can have subtitles, but they are "burned in" subs. That means that they are always part of the video - they cannot be turned off or removed.
    I wasn't making any claims, so I am neither right nor wrong. I was just asking questions.

Thank you for explaining it. Just to make sure I understand you correctly...

If the description of the VCD says it has both English and Chinese subtitles, does that mean BOTH of them are displayed during the entire movie?
    We have various guides on converting VCD to DVD. Also, there are 2 programs that can do it for you. There is SVCD2DVD and SVCD2DVDMPG. The first is not free. The second one is.
    I've owned SVCD2DVD for almost a year now I think, and I purchased it to do exactly what this post is about, convert VCD to DVD. I figured if it does SVCD to DVD, then surely it must do VCD to DVD as well. But I could not get it to recognize anything on the VCD. Are you sure SVCD2DVD converts VCD's also? And if so, do you know of any instructions on how to do so?

Also, I just updated SVCD2DVD to the newest version and build. When I tired to install it, it said I needed to uninstall the older version, so I did. Now, the new version requires an internet connection to download the registration code. I do not have Internet at home!!! It then says I can go to the website and get the code using my serial number and email. I can't find where to do that. Anybody know where I am supposed to go?

I emailed them 2 days ago, and still have not heard back from them [EDIT](I've since learned SVCD2DVD's creator is in the hospital, so it's totally understandable). If anyone can point me to where it is I need to go to get a reg code, please do so, as I really need to get it working soon.[/EDIT]

Thanks,

Tom

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - VCDs that have Chinese and English subtitles display BOTH of them for the entire movie.

I can't help you with either tool I mentioned. I used SVCD2DVD once during a trial period to convert a VCD to DVD and I've never needed to do that again, so I didn't buy it. It did work for me though.

Perhaps you could try looking through our guides or doing a well crafted web search.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman98!

I have tried searching for ways to do this, but all seem to require way too many steps that I am hoping to avoid having to do.

From the description of SVCD2DVD it is supposed to convert VCD's, but all I remember is it didn't recognize the one I tried to do. I will have to try again and see exactly what happens.

Thanks.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by noyou

I emailed them 2 days ago, and still have not heard back from them. I need to use it also!!! I am kinda mad at them. I would not have uninstalled if I knew this was going to happen!
    The developer of svcdtodvd ChrissyBoy is in the hospital. Has been for over a week now. If you can't find the instructions you need you might send him a PM and ask him to respond to this thread.

You can confirm this by checking this thread

-edit Looks like you have already found that page by yourself.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")

Search Comp PM
    Back from hospital today...

VCD to DVD is exactly the same as SVCD to DVD... Just load up your assets as normal.

Any issues - post your log file.

CB
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ChrissyBoy - I get the impression from the thread that freebird73717 mentions that the original poster's problem is that his copy of SVCD2DVD is not properly registered and that's the real reason it's not working, rather than the implication in this thread that there is a problem with SVCD2DVD itself. All I can say is that the one time I had to do a VCD to DVD conversion your program worked perfectly for me and the only reason I didn't buy it is that I've never had to do that again.

Glad you're out of the hospital.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Noyou -- VCD's MPEG1 is a proper subset of DVD-compliant MPEG2, so you do not have to reencode the video at all. Any reencoding would simply degrade further what is already not a hi-res format, so you don't want to do that. Only the audio needs to be tweaked a bit, and that's only to change the sampling rate to 48kHz from 44.1kHz. Because of the much smaller file sizes of VCD, you could put several on a single DVD, if you wanted to. This is very handy, for example, if you want to put several episodes of a TV series on a single disc.

I believe SVCD2DVD automates this workflow (although I am not 100% sure, because the documentation alludes to scaling the horizontal resolution, which seems to suggest reencoding, but maybe they mean something else). In any case, it's a great tool for doing exactly this.

As others said, since VCDs do not support selectable subs, all subs that were in the original will continue to be viewable in the DVD-converted result; they're hard-burned into the image, so you couldn't get rid of them even if you wanted to.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    VCD to DVD is exactly the same as SVCD to DVD... Just load up your assets as normal.

Any issues - post your log file.
    That is the problem. No matter what folder of the VCD I go to while trying to load the assets, SVCD2DVD see's nothing to allow me to load as an asset. And therefore, there is no log file to post either, because nothing was done since nothing could even be loaded as an asset.

I tried with three different VCDs, manufactured in two different countries, so I doubt it is the VCDs that are not standard.

How do I have SVCD2DVD process a VCD into a DVD? Please give me exact steps. Adding an asset isn't one of them, unless there is some other step to do before that.

Seems whatever files hold the movie have a .DAT file extension. I assume something has to be done with those to convert them to something SVCD2DVD can use???

Search Comp PM
    Seems whatever files hold the movie have a .DAT file extension. I assume something has to be done with those to convert them to something SVCD2DVD can use???
    If you change the extension from .dat to .mpg S2D should then convert the to a proper mpeg ready for converting.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ChrissyBoy
    If you change the extension from .dat to .mpg S2D should then convert the to a proper mpeg ready for converting.
    So why don't you add the ability of SVCD2DVD being able to recognize .DAT files, so no manual user intervention is necessary? And at least you should add something to the website, in the FAQ maybe, letting others know what to do so they don't have to waste so much time posting and waiting for answers for something like this. I posted this message ages ago, and I just read your answer now, after my trip. I wasn't able to do what I wanted in time to give the disks to my Sister, whom I was visiting. Now I have to waste money (and effort taking to post office, Etc...) on postage to send her the disks.

15. Originally Posted by noyou
    So why don't you add the ability of SVCD2DVD being able to recognize .DAT files, so no manual user intervention is necessary? And at least you should add something to the website, in the FAQ maybe, letting others know what to do so they don't have to waste so much time posting and waiting for answers for something like this. I posted this message ages ago, and I just read your answer now, after my trip. I wasn't able to do what I wanted in time to give the disks to my Sister, whom I was visiting. Now I have to waste money (and effort taking to post office, Etc...) on postage to send her the disks.
    The author addressed your questions as quickly as he was able to given his circumstances and your own information and response time. Everyone wants immediate answers but are too lazy to do easiest thing to get it. If you had performed a simple search in this forum, you could have answered your own question immediately:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic284285.html#1405405

If you consider the effort of a couple dollars and a trip to the post office a "waste", why bother at all?
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jikchung
    The author addressed your questions as quickly as he was able to given his circumstances and your own information and response time. Everyone wants immediate answers but are too lazy to do easiest thing to get it. If you had performed a simple search in this forum, you could have answered your own question immediately:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic284285.html#1405405

If you consider the effort of a couple dollars and a trip to the post office a "waste", why bother at all?
    Do you often respond to people asking for help, or trying to make helpful suggestions, with such an intent to intimidate? Your reply served absolutely no purpose other than to do just that, as it had nothing at all to do with my last post.

I did search first, and found nothing of any help. I searched a few different ways in fact. I don't remember what I searched for exactly, but I did not find the post you provided when I searched. But regardless, you failed to allow yourself to understand what my last post was about. It's about what shoud be, but isn't. Which if it were, there would have been no need for me to even come to this board for help. And as for your parting question, it reveals a lot about you.

17. Really now, where was the intent to intimidate? The tone of my post was specifically constructed to mirror the tone of your previous post. It had everything to do with your last post as it showed you that the answer was always available. As to how I respond to people needing help here, my post history speaks for itself.

I fully understood what your post was about, the problem was that you couldn't just drop a suggestion based on your experience, you had to play the part of the victim by adding:
    I posted this message ages ago, and I just read your answer now, after my trip. I wasn't able to do what I wanted in time to give the disks to my Sister, whom I was visiting. Now I have to waste money (and effort taking to post office, Etc...) on postage to send her the disks.
    That really served no purpose other than pouting about your inconvenience. ChrissyBoy offers the best support of any software author I have ever worked with and is always happy to entertain reasonable suggestions. The sob story about wasted money and the horrible effort of the trip to the post office (for your own sister at that) was not only a waste of space but was the real "effort to intimidate".
    Dwight

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jikchung
    I fully understood what your post was about, the problem was that you couldn't just drop a suggestion based on your experience, you had to play the part of the victim by adding:
    I posted this message ages ago, and I just read your answer now, after my trip. I wasn't able to do what I wanted in time to give the disks to my Sister, whom I was visiting. Now I have to waste money (and effort taking to post office, Etc...) on postage to send her the disks.
    That really served no purpose other than pouting about your inconvenience. ChrissyBoy offers the best support of any software author I have ever worked with and is always happy to entertain reasonable suggestions. The sob story about wasted money and the horrible effort of the trip to the post office (for your own sister at that) was not only a waste of space but was the real "effort to intimidate".
    Jane you ignorent slut!

You are totally incorrect in your haste to judge me, as I first stated. And I feel compelled to prove it, even though these forums should not be used for this crap.

Regardless of how easy or hard it would be to add the ability of SVCD2DVD to recognize the DAT files and process them accordingly, at the very least, something should be added to the help tab of SVCD2DVD, and to the FAQ both online and that should be included in the download stating how to deal with converting VCDs to DVDs, so as not to require the customer to go find an Internet connection (in the case they do not have one at home, which I do not), and try to find how to do what the product is advertised as being able to do.

This program has been around for quite a while now, and I don't understand why what I am suggesting has never been done up to this point.

Therefore, I gave my "sob story" to show one of zillions of possible scenario's that show exactly why ChrissyBoy should add what I suggest. Thus, it did have a purpose. A very straight forward and obvious purpose, except to you, because you immediately labeled me an idiot.

19. Ok, first you accuse me of trying to intimidate you and now you claim I labeled you an idiot? It is apparent that you are only here to argue and will read anything possible into a comment in order to do so. As that is the case I will no longer engage you in discussion. Have a wonderful day.
    Dwight

- Herm Albright

www.martialconcepts.com

Search Comp PM
    So why don't you add the ability of SVCD2DVD being able to recognize .DAT files, so no manual user intervention is necessary?
    Because .DAT files are not normally files which contain video content.