VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone, I stumbled across your very informative, and ACTIVE forum, and I think that you guys can help me

I bought a Samsung DVD player 1080P9 that plays DivX. It's works fine for normal store-bought DVDs, which I mainly use it for, but my friend has got me into the downloading and burning of movies and I since I now have the DVD player with DivX, I started putting all of them on disc.
    So we did a bunch of data cds and dvds, and when I play them in the player, they "tick". The ticking is coming from the actual player.. like I mute everything and inside the actual player where it spins the disc, it goes "tick tick tick tick tick"... etc. It DOES not do this on regular DVDs that I buy, ONLY the burnt ones.

So I searched your forums and looked for "ticking" or "clicking", and only one result came up with "clicking", and it was something about being a certain type of file. But I've done a bunch of files, and also did it as an actual DVD burn, instead of just a data cd/dvd.. and it's still doing it.

Is this normal for divx playback? Is it just the player? Could it be the type of file?
    I am very far from a techie-girl, so please answer like you're talking to a kindergartner here lol.. that's how my friend talks to me when he is explaining all this stuff to me..

I am going to bring the DVD player back to the store, and get my money back. I can't stand the ticking.. man. It's EFFING annoying. I am asking this, so I can buy another one in its place, and hopefully, I can make an educated selection this time. Blegh. I hate technology lol

Thank you in advance for all your help, and patience!
    Mandy
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you describe sounds like 'seeking errors'. That's when the drive is having a hard time reading a disc and needs to make multiple tries. The read assembly may be moving back and forth trying to find the 'groove' or track on the DVD and trying to focus the laser.

The first thing I would do is to try a different brand of DVD media. That's sometimes the easy fix. Too much of that clicking isn't good for the players mechanisms. You may notice that the discs are overly warm when you take them out of the player also. That's another sign of a reading problem. Some players are more sensitive to the brand of DVD media used, and it's cheap enough to try a few different ones.

Other possibilities would be a internal problem with the player, but that doesn't seem as likely if only your burned Divx discs have that problem. I could see having one bad Divx/Xvid file, but not all of them.

Anyway, that's my guess. Others here may have some better ideas.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First thing is to learn about the source files ... The second is before doing anything, read the manual that came with the unit on specifics about file types supported and known formats / bitrates .

It is possible the media is questionable, but the rule still stands.

Just because the pc can play it dose not allow the assumption that the dvd home player will.

After confirming with the user manual the file requirements, use gspot to determine video and audio of given avi then use an appropriate program to encode to requirements, then burn to disc.

Now include:

1: Model of dvd player
    2: Media brand acquired
    3: Applications used in the creation process
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really surprised that redwudz, who is quite reliable here, told you to try another brand of media but made no suggestions. Basically you should use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (you'll have to order these online) for best results. Sony can be hit or miss as they use both the best and the worst producers for the media they sell in the USA and Canada. Everybody else who sells media in the USA and Canada uses poor quality manufacturers.

While I agree that most likely it's your media, encoding options on Divx can be problems. We have a sticky here that lists options that can cause playback problems on DVD players:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You guys are awesome. I'm going to let my friend see this page, and let him decide what I should do. I have 2 more days before I return the DVD player..

By the way, he gave me his Divx DVD player to borrow, and it doesn't do any clicking... his is some type of Philips.. although it is loud when it plays, it doesn't click, and I can deal with the whirring.. but not the clicking lol..
    I know I sound crazy lol.. but the ticking .. it's just like "where the hell and why the hell is that happening for no good reason".. well that's my thought process anyways

I will post back on here when we figure out what to do.
    MANY thanks for all your help!
    M
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I'm really surprised that redwudz, who is quite reliable here, told you to try another brand of media but made no suggestions.
    1. I didn't know what media he was presently using and he mentioned CDs, and even cheap CDs don't often do that.

2. I was suspicious that the problem was more likely the player, but a change of media is cheaper to try.

3. I forgot.

Take your choice.

But with any DVD/CD media, the cheapest is not usually reliable or not so cheap when it won't work for you. I do use Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim exclusively myself.

The Philips players are cheaply built, but last and work as well or better than many others in the same general price range. But any player can have a defect. I would probably exchange it myself.
    Quote Quote