VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI all, I have just bought a new JVC recorder model # DR M10S without a warantee . IT has the well known "loading " problem, PLUS intermittent green line flashing in the video output signal .I can see it on screen during recording. I am a qualified tech and I can repair these faults if any of you techs can tell me which components need fitting or replacing.

Please include part#s and locations.

Thanks, Jack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2010 update -- Fixing the JVC DVD Recorder "LOADING" Issue / JVC Will Not Recognize Blank DVDs
    I've compiled a new thread on this topic at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/fixing-jvc-dvd-2008.html -- I've been trying to organized all available JVC information better for those who need it!

"Loading" is a generic warning. It could just as easily say "Help Me!" or "Problem".

When exactly do you see it go into the LOADING warning message? It can sometimes be caused by users, it's not the fault of the unit. Most common is the attempt to use really crappy blank discs, cheap no-name junk and low-grade brands like Memorex (CMC discs).

If you search this forum, there are several long threads dedicated to this topic, and includes all the info you need.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Jan 2010 at 17:09.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MY 'loading' error occured about one hour in to a recording.
    I have only used the machine for a week . The aborted recording was my fourth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What blank discs are you using? This is a classic blank disc issue, from what I see so far.

Read up at www.nomorecoasters.com and be sure you're not using a crap-quality blank DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    What blank discs are you using? This is a classic blank disc issue, from what I see so far.

Read up at www.nomorecoasters.com and be sure you're not using a crap-quality blank DVD.
    still in denial
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by nicky57
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

still in denial
    Amen to that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Denial is a "loaded" phrase. Those of you with antique Toshibas and Panasonics circa 2003-2004 who swear on your grandmothers you can burn any random current blank disc in your machines need to grasp the fact you are a minority of lucky souls favored by the gods. The rest of us struggle to find discs that will burn reliably in the same recorders. LordSmurf is correct: the JVCs have a very limited vocabulary consisting solely of the "LOADING" display and crazy flashing lights. When you see this it can mean the recorder needs repair, but it ALSO does the same thing when it chokes on media it wasn't designed to burn. I have a couple of JVC DRMV5 decks which are a year newer than the DRM10, they work perfectly with 8x media but crap out halfway thru a recording if I use current 16x discs, if I can even get them to accept the 16x disc as valid media (they won't accept 16x Verbatims at all). The DRM10 needs 8x Taiyo Yuden (TY), Verbatim DataLife, or Sony 8x media to record reliably, if Jack Africa can't easily purchase 8x media in Australia he shouldn't bother trying to repair the machines other flaws like the green line. The media issues are one of several reasons I switched to newer Pioneer recorders, although I keep my JVCs as backup units.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've not had issues with Verbatim 16x DVD-R from Taiwan in either of my JVC units.

However, I'm aware of quite a few Panasonic units, pre-LSI, the old crappy-blocky units -- the same ones people swear are "great quality" (the image quality is garbage on those old machine) -- that will ONLY work with Maxell-branded RITEK media. As you can guess, those folks still get a lot of crashed discs, because Ritek can be marginal quality media.

Toshiba isn't a flawless darling either, it too can have media issues.

Let's face it, DVD recorders tend to stock already-aged burners by the time of their release, often with first-released firmware, and the lack of firmware updates, combined with new media, has never been a good situation. All we can do is hope the "generic" write strategy is kind to the discs we choose. Sometimes using the best media isn't enough, but it's surely the right place to start! (TY, MCC and Sony)

Australia has a lot of crappy media sold there, according to a number of folks who report data from that region, so it may take some time to find a worthwhile disc.
    Quote Quote