VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a CRT TV (SDTV) and when i play 16:9 movies and chose Pan n Scan on my DVD player, it doesn't work. There are still big black borders on the edges.

And I just noticed that the bottom black border is taller than the one on the top.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are these commercial DVD discs?

What happens when you select letterbox? Do the pictures reach the left and right edge? Do 4:3 discs play properly?

The DVD player Pan/Scan feature normally centers a 16:9 playback at full height. The Pan/Scan feature (left to right pans) depends on disc support.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes it reaches left and right edges when i selected letterbox. and letterbox is the same with pan n scan. when i turn to pan n scan, the same. when i turn to letterbox, the same.

yes 4:3 discs play properly.

and anyway, what about the bottom black edge? when the video is not 4:3 there should be black edges top and bottom right? but my bottom black edge is big compared to the one on top.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    yes it reaches left and right edges when i selected letterbox. and letterbox is the same with pan n scan. when i turn to pan n scan, the same. when i turn to letterbox, the same.

and anyway, what about the bottom black edge? when the video is not 4:3 there should be black edges top and bottom right? but my bottom black edge is big compared to the one on top.
    Must be unique to that player. Have you tried another player on that TV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    when the video is not 4:3 there should be black edges top and bottom right? but my bottom black edge is big compared to the one on top.
    This could be your TV displaying the picture off center. How much difference in size is there between the top and bottom bars?

Make yourself a DVD with a 4:3 overscan test pattern and see how far off center your TV is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

Must be unique to that player. Have you tried another player on that TV?
    yes. and still the same. maybe the TV is the fault.

Originally Posted by jagabo
    when the video is not 4:3 there should be black edges top and bottom right? but my bottom black edge is big compared to the one on top.
    This could be your TV displaying the picture off center. How much difference in size is there between the top and bottom bars?

Make yourself a DVD with a 4:3 overscan test pattern and see how far off center your TV is.
    the top is about half the height of the bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    If you're talking about a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 display that is probably just a matter of the TV displaying the picture off center.

Regarding the Pan-and-scan setting on the DVD player -- as I understand it, the DVD itself must support pan-and-scan (instructions embedded into the the video data that instruct the player what part of the frame to show), and most don't. For DVDs without the pan-and-scan data you will need to use a zoom function (if your player or TV has it) if you don't want to see black bars and don't care about mindlessly cutting off the sides of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Its a great Idea to keep the name of the DVD player secret, [s:17fe230537]not[/s:17fe230537]
    Makes it so much easier for people to diagnose your problem
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're talking about a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 display that is probably just a matter of the TV displaying the picture off center.

Regarding the Pan-and-scan setting on the DVD player -- as I understand it, the DVD itself must support pan-and-scan (instructions embedded into the the video data that instruct the player what part of the frame to show), and most don't. For DVDs without the pan-and-scan data you will need to use a zoom function (if your player or TV has it) if you don't want to see black bars and don't care about mindlessly cutting off the sides of the frame.
    Then why is the TV displaying it off center? can i fix that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Does it show off center in normal TV tuner mode? What model TV is this?

Centering would be an internal service adjustment. If it is that far out you would need a full expert alignment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

Does it show off center in normal TV tuner mode? What model TV is this?

Centering would be an internal service adjustment. If it is that far out you would need a full expert alignment.
    in TV tuner? no. it does not picture off center. Model? Sony. This is an old CRT TV, umm...bought about 6-7 years ago.

i have this setting in my DVD player that is 16:9 to make non-4:3 become fullscreen or if not taller on my TV. Thus, movies with 1.9:1 ratio and below becomes fullscreen while about aspect ratio of 2:1 and above does not become fullscreen but taller. So the 'picture off center' of the movies will only be visible in those ratios where edges can be shown, right?

Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Its a great Idea to keep the name of the DVD player secret, not
    Makes it so much easier for people to diagnose your problem ieek.gif
    tried it on 2 DVD players and still the same. Durabrand, and guess what? a chinese product with no brand printed on it (my father bought this without my 'permission'). But the DVD works fine for me, even better than the Durabrand since it works on some DVDs that Durabrand can't play.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Inside the TV there are adjustments for the width, height, and centering of the image. These are usually not accessible to the consumer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normally the centering adjustments affect all modes so if only on DVD input, something else is wrong. I'd just live with it. Figure a Sony alignment will cost $200 or so.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I doubt it's just the DVD input. He just doesn't notice on regular TV broadcasts because a 4:3 image being off center by 3 percent isn't noticeable on a CRT which probably overscans by about 5 percent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is the typical failure pattern for an older CRT TV. As phosphors "wear" they tend to dim. This often happens to red first causing a picture color shift to green or blue.

As the phosphors dim, the user compensates by turning up the brightness. Eventually this causes the high voltage power supply to overload and go non-linear causing convergence and linearity shifts. Internal adjustments can help for a period of time but eventually the high voltage supply or CRT fail requiring replacement.

Your TV could probably be restored with a full service internal alignment but at about half the cost of a new TV. Talk to your service shop about prices.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked for a channel that does not broadcasts 4:3 then i found one (I really don't watch TV stations/channels a lot, only movies) then i found one. It's the same, the bottom edge is really taller.

I really forgot if my TV was like this, i just noticed this weeks ago:
    -->when i watched a movie with an aspect ratio of about 2.11:1 and my DVD player was set 16:9 wherein this resulted to only showing the bottom black edge, without any top edge.

Then that started me noticing that the picture is not on center. I'm not really sure that my TV is like this years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  17. As edDV mentioned, CRTs are prone to that type of problem as they age. It's one of the reasons they overscan. If the picture shifts off center it's hard to tell.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You can look on the internet for how to get into the service menu and center the picture. On a TV that old if you look enough you can probably find the adjustments and what they do. It's probably called VCEN for vertical center. Sony TVs can be very poorly adjusted from the factory.

Make SURE to write down original settings before changing anything, they are specific to each TV and are the only way to get back to where it was if you adjust something you shouldn't. As long as you write down settings before making adjustments you should be OK.
    Quote Quote