VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the cheapest and easiest way to remove chapter stops?

I recently transferred a video tape recording to DVD-R using my Panasonic dvd recorder.
    The tape has 8 half-hour episodes. I just turned on the recorder and recorded the whole 4 hours of tape and went to bed, so the result is: there is one long title. My recorder automatically creates 5 minute chapter stops.
    I then opened the dvd into dvd shrink and pressed the re-author mode so I could create a title for each half-hour episode by making start/end frames.
    I don't care about menus as long as I can press the skip button on my remote and have it go to the next title.

Anyway, the resulting product retained the original 5 minute chapter stops.
    Now this is fine if I watch them on my computer because I can select which title I want to watch using the navigation button to jump to a specific title.
    However, if I want to watch them on my TV using my regular stand alone dvd player, it takes me forever to get to the last title from the beginning because I have to skip through a dozen chapter stops to get there.

So, I would like to remove the chapter stops, so I can only skip from title to title, and not chapter to chapter.

Is there a cheap and easy way to remove chapter stops using freeware. I don't want to re-encode or convert VOB to mpeg.

I would be happy if DVD Shrink didn't retain the chapter stops.

Thanks for your help.
    Ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter.
    IFO Mode
    File Splitting - NONE
    Re-author
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or copy the disc to your hard drive.
    Remove the chapters with PgcEdit.
    Reburn the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help!

I actually already have DVDDecrypter installed on my computer, but I never used it because I find it difficult to understand.

I tried following your steps, but I must be doing something wrong because the result still has the chapter stops.

Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter.
    IFO Mode (I selected mode-ifo-it brought up 8 VTS files, but it only highlighted the one with the longest running time. It wouldn't let me select all of them. Do I have to re-author each individually.)
    File Splitting - NONE (I went under tools-settings-file mode-pressed none)
    Re-author (I pressed the decrypt butten. It only re-authored one VTS title. The title still had chapter breaks.)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd
    Or copy the disc to your hard drive.
    Remove the chapters with PgcEdit.
    Reburn the disc.
    I might give it a try, but the sample screenshot on the PgcEdit page looks really complicated to me.
    Not sure I would be able to figure it out.
    Is there a simple step-by-step guide to achieve what I'm trying to do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open the DVD in PGCEdit. Click on Title -> PTT (Chapter) Editor. Delete all the chapter markers.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote