VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am importing avi video from panasonic dv tape using windows movie maker or exsate dv capture live (the latter gives some added audio noise as imports but seems ok in playback). Then I use dvdate to put the datestamp (but not timestamp) for the first 7 seconds of each new day. Then I want to store this on my computer but not as avi as this so large. And I want to be able to burn it onto DVDs as further backup.

I have managed to do most of this though not tried burning copies yet - and not sure how wmv compares with mpeg as a form of storage on hard drive of my videos - is one better or simpler for storage? - and what is the best way to change from avi to wmv or mpeg? I like the simplicity of using windows movie maker as I'm not too keen to install lots of software that could clash etc. Advice welcome please.

Now I would like (if it is not too complicated) to put it onto DVDs with chaptering kept according to scenes/dates of original recording - or perhaps this is too complicated to bother with... I can see that I have the option to import the video from camcorder as separate files for each scene, but if I then use dvdate I would end up with the date showing on each separate scene and might not want this if I had several scenes all filmed on the one day. I am using Vista Ultimate and Windows DVD Maker. Perhaps I am being overambitious

Thank you for any much appreciated guidance! Sorry to have so many questions - just want to make sensible choices. Nicola
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you are going to make dvds anyway, then go from DVavi to dvd spec mpeg-2, not wmv. converting from wmv to mpeg-2 will cause a significant quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, thanks for the advice to save as mpeg2 not wmv. What software might be the simplest/best for doing this with my vista/sp1 computer? Unfortunately my attempt to burn with windows DVD maker didn't work this time, not sure why!

Thanks Nicola
    Quote Quote