VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need some capture software that will do the following:

I have a Canon GL1 DV camcorder.
    I would like to record to a laptop without using the DV tapes
    I would be streaming straight to a laptop via Firewire cable.
    The end product must be in MPEG-1 format.
    I must have time & date stamped onto the video (can be time & date from camcorder or from laptop, but must be the time/date that video was originally taken.)

If I need multiple software to do this, please let me know what all I would need. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our dv camcorder section.

You can use Visual DV Time Stamp($20) to add the timestamp into the video and then convert the dv-avi to mpeg1 using tmpgenc.

You could also use dvdatecode to extract the subs, then use avidemux to load the dv-avi, under filters add the subtitle filter and load the datecode, save as a mpeg1.

edit: I missed that you are not going to use the firewire. Then is the above not possible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Seems like you need a cheap external capture device (USB) that will accept the analog output from your GL1. Just turn on the time/date display (which should appear on the analog output) and capture. Many of these devices can capture to MPEG-1.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be using Firewire. I will NOT be using DV Tapes. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to record what the camcorder sees straight onto a hard drive using Firewire. As it is recording in realtime, I would like the time & date to be captured onto the video at the same time. It can be recorded in any format at this time, but in post-production I would need to convert to MPEG-1 as my final step.

Does enosoft have a program that will suit my needs? What settings would I set it up as? Thanks.

-Darren
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since it is MPEG1, you can use GraphEdit in combination with our DV processor. Windows provides a pretty decent MPEG1 encoder.

Basically, set the input of our DV processor to your camcorder, turn on the date/time stamping and set the output to Enosoft Virtual DV Renderer. You can choose to use the computer's date/time if you wish.

In GraphEdit, choose Enosoft Virtual DV Source as the capture source followed by a DV splitter, a DV decoder and feed the decoded DV video and the audio to the MPEG1 encoder.

When ready, start the DV processor running and then GraphEdit.

It's more complex to describe than it is to do. It happens in realtime. I've been quite happy with the results when I've need MPEG1.

I'd be happy to provide more details on setting up the GraphEdit side if you need them.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would I be able to use just Enosoft if I didn't need MPEG-1 at first and then convert whatever Enosoft creates to MPEG-1 after I'm done editting the storybook? Or would it be better to use GraphEdit at the same time as you suggested above?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this hardware or software?

"DV splitter, a DV decoder and feed the decoded DV video and the audio to the MPEG1 encoder. "

I would prefer no more hardware...if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  9. GraphEdit is a little program supplied by MS for developers that lets you string together different software components such as a capture source, codec, video window etc. These components - DirectShow filters - are strung together on something MS call a filter graph. Basically, it's a way to build and test specific multimedia functions without having to write the code.

If you remain in the DV format then it isn't necessary. Post-editing, there are many freeware tools for converting AVIs to MPEG1.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria

Basically, set the input of our DV processor to your camcorder, turn on the date/time stamping and set the output to Enosoft Virtual DV Renderer. You can choose to use the computer's date/time if you wish.
    I have tried this. I even told Enosoft to text overlay everything. I can see all overlays except for time and date...

bummer. Either user error or it only will show the time and date that is on a dv tape. I don't even see an option to choose the computer's date/time...

Help please
    Quote Quote  
  11. If the camcorder's clock has not been set then no time/date info is in the DV stream, hence the software can't show anything. But...

...enable Embedded Data Processing (main window) then open the options for embedded data processing. Check the two boxes named Recording Date and Recording Time. By default, the computer's time and date will be inserted into the DV stream. You will then be able to see them with the text overlay.

The following is part of the Help file:

http://www.enosoft.net/products/enodvproc/help/htm/_embeddeddata.htm
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will check it out when I get home. Thanks.

btw, the clock is set on the camcorder b/c I can see it on the LCD screen of the camcorder...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if I were to get this to work. Is there a setting that I can change so that each recording will automatically rename itself?

e.g. I name the first capture Test.xxx and hit record. I then hit stop. I then hit record (The program automatically makes a new file called Test002.xxx) I hit stop. Repeat on until I close the program...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, you can. I'm not at a computer with a camcorder handy so I can't be more specific at the moment. I'll try to get back to you this evening or in the morning.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here's what to do:

1. Launch the DV processor
    2. Set your camcorder to be the input
    3. Choose the output file type (DV AVI Type-1 or -2, raw AVI) and provide a name. This will be the basis for all the files created.
    4. Check [x] Embedded Data Processing on the main window
    5. Open the configuration window (next to the checkbox) and check [x] Scene Detection. You may close this window if you like.
    6. Click the large Run button to start capturing.
    7. Click Pause to end the current capture (don't use Stop).
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 as needed.

Note - because your camcorder doesn't send its own time/date, you should replace the incoming signal's time/date with the computer's as described previously.

The filenames will have the time/date appended to the name you provided so they will be readily sortable in ascending order.

You have to use the program's Run/Pause buttons to do this unless you have a tape in the camcorder since pressing the camcorder's record/stand-by button doesn't send anything to the computer to signal it has been pressed. With a tape present, the software detects the change in transport state and can respond. Obviously not applicable in your scenario.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote