VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an article in Informationweek, Mar 2, 2009, that says Microsoft is, "ending mainstream support for Office 2003, Exchange 2003 and XP. Bug fixes and service packs will end. Microsoft will still provide security updates for flaws that they deem "critical" until 2014. You will be able to purchase an extended support package if you are a company - it will be out of dollar reach for users.

I wonder how many people will leave the Microsoft platform and go open source. I just can't justify making Bill any richer for my limited computer needs. I have multiple systems and am going to go open source on one to see what's what. I would not even consider Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'd like it was April Fool's day joke.
    Windows Vista is useless in my opinion. Maybe it's time to wait for Windows Seven or, like you said, go to open source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No one will stop using a M$ OS. There's no reason to, even if you don't want to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7, XP will continue to function. The only possible problem will be in 2014 when they stop patching security issues.

Hell, there are still peeps still posting here asking questions about Windows 98 which is no longer supported or updated.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. MS have made this known for a long time - it's in line with how they have always gone about product lifecycle management. There are plenty of people using versions of Windows for which free support ended a long time ago. Hmm - some other OS vendors shaft you as soon as a new version is released. XP has had free support for more than 8 years - that's a l-o-n-g time. Heck, some people using XP computers weren't even born when it was released. But some people are never satisfied unless it's free. "Hey, Ford! My big end has gone on my Pinto. Fix it for free you greedy buggers."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    XP will continue to function.
    Unless you need to validate or reinstall and they've shut down the validation servers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Free support for XP Home and Office 2003 ends on April 14,security updates will continue until 2014:
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/03/25/free-microsoft-support-for-windows-xp-office-2...ends-next-mon/

I think MS has been more than gracious providing free support considering XP has been out since 10/25/01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK

I think MS has been more than gracious providing free support considering XP has been out since 10/25/01.
    Microsoft is a corporation and corporations are not gracious. MS had to extend support for XP because the public was screaming for it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bendixG15
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK

Microsoft is a corporation and corporations are not gracious. MS had to extend support for XP because the public was screaming for it.
    Hmmm. So they were responding to their customer base. B@st@rds. But all large corporations are damned if they do, damned if they don't. There are many better and many worse than MS.

BTW, the product lifecycle for XP is no different than for Win98 and WinMe.

I wonder if Adobe would provide free support to me for Premiere 6.5?

If I paid $100 for something nearly a decade ago, should I expect free support?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    There are many better and many worse than MS.
    Yes, but they're not convicted monopolists.
    Quote Quote  
  10. True - but there are plenty of monopolistic corporations that get away with it - not to mention cartels.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Yes, but they're not convicted monopolists.
    Says the courts,I think the verdicts were a sham.Windows doesn't prevent people from installing whatever software they want.
    Why didn't the courts go after Apple for only shipping with Safari and Quicktime?
    http://www.macnightowl.com/2009/01/of-microsoft-and-the-european-union/
    All companies are in business to make money and they don't have to give free support.Besides every Windows OS since 95 has had built-in help,if that can't answer your questions then there's always the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just think that this is not the time for MS to be greedy. A lot of business are still using XP and waiting for Win 7. This might just push people off the fence to open source. Upgrading for a company is expensive and for individuals also. Timing is just politically incorrect at this time. Vista is a non starter and Win 7 is not ready. You can only push people so far especially when money is really tight.

Last summer gas went to $4.50/gal in the US. That greedy move crashed the world economy. It was the last straw that broke the camels back. People stopped driving and stopped buy as much gas. Oil crashed.

Is MS doing the same thing? Will there be blow back? I for one am going to try Linux for the first time. If it works I may never be back at the MS trough.

As far as Office 2003 is concerned. MS upgrades their Office pack every few years and expects companies to shell out for the new series (just like Windows). KissMyA**! Word processing and spread sheets were perfected years ago. Just another MS money grab. MS is not on my payroll. Their upgrades don't add to profit, just to cost. There is a tipping point MS. You may have just crossed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by videobread
    As far as Office 2003 is concerned. MS upgrades their Office pack every few years and expects companies to shell out for the new series (just like Windows). KissMyA**! Word processing and spread sheets were perfected years ago. Just another MS money grab. MS is not on my payroll. Their upgrades don't add to profit, just to cost. There is a tipping point MS. You may have just crossed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When was the last time you had to call MS for support for Office 2003? How will you be impacted after 14 April?

If you (in a general sense) are in business and are using an OS that has been around for nearly a decade and you are prudent enough to not keep farting around with your systems then it's a non-event. If your business is - well - in business to make money then expect to pay for the tools you use.

Perhaps MS should have just hung up their boots following the launch of Windows 2.0.

People - especially in the US - have very short memories. I see as many cars on the road today as last year.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Perhaps MS should have just hung up their boots following the launch of Windows 2.0.
    Make that DOS 3.1 and I'll agree with you
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with open source is limited programs for it especially for gaming, and Windows will be around a long time unless that changes. As far as Office is concerned I'm still using Office 97 with no problems, and I've seen no reason to upgrade Office as long as Office 97 meets my needs. I'm also still running Win2k for the same reason and still use Win98 mostly for children's games or other games that don't run in Win2k. Also Linux is much more complex and beyond the scope of the average consumer even if more apps were available for it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    oh boy everytime MS burps someone comes declaring the end of MS...everyone will go to open source now...

*yawn*
    Quote Quote  
  17. I don't care whether or not MS continues to provide support for XP. As long as they don't refuse to allow activations. If they were really generous, and had any faith in Vista/Win7, they would release a patch so that XP no longer required activation or product key -- since obviously they will no longer be making money off of it.
    Quote Quote