VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All!

I am in need of some direction concerning some camera purchases. The cameras are to be small(-ish) and will be mounted within 3 different places within a very compact vehicle. As this really isn't my feild (but I've been put in charge of it anyways) I could use some advice on top of the line equipment out there.

ALSO

I need to know if the technology exists. In aforementioned vehicle, the cameras are going to be used to stream live video to our web server to be visible by the end users. Every agency or firm I've spoken with has informed me that the technology to maintain a constant uplink while mobile is out there, but practically limited to the military and some huge corporate establishments out there( like cruise ships etc), does anyone know if there are retailers of equipment/services that will do the job?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PLEASE change the topic subject! I shouldn't have to read the topic to find out what it's about. Just click on the edit-button to update the subject.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    News organizations use satellite trucks with large dishes on the top, something like the pix below. Unfortunately the truck must remain stationary. Indy race cars use small microwave transmitters, but they only work if you can see the vehicle(s) at all times.

EDIT: You might be able to "hop" the video via a helicopter and then uplink it to a satellite. I'd really hate to see the invoice for all of that, though.

IMO, your best bet is to set up recorders in the trunk of the vehicle, and play the video back later.

Good luck!

Quote Quote  
  4. same as your last post. stop with the duplicate posting.

can a mod please remove this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be it that my first post has capped out at around 100 views, and this one is already at 100 views, i don't feel bad for making a new post, not to mention i really did have to ask a new a question concerning video cameras. I run a few boards of my own and I think some people have too much time on their hands and get all bent out of shape when someone doesn't post correctly. If this is all in writing in a rules section, I apologize. Now how about some constructive responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On the other hand, your post isn't an individual web site, so the amount of "hits" means absolutely nothing.

As stated before, you'll probably need professional help, rather than hoping for a bite from a message board. You should probably heed the advice of the pros with wom you've consulted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Start here
    http://www.groundcontrol.com/prod_ig2500_001.htm

These guys offer the greatest subscription uplink rates.
    http://www.idirect.net/cs/Solutions/Overview

That was easy... to Google.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. ok. as for the cams i might look at the consumer high end hd canon hv30/40. it's small, lightweight, shoots 30p for easy conversion to streaming video, and would mount easily and not vibrate. 3 pro cameras would take up the entire inside of a compact car.

the first link eddv gives lists a mobile sat system that could be used in a moving car. streaming is limited to 256kbps. it may not be enough bandwidth to stream anything other than cell phone quality from 3 cams simultaneously, but it may be about your only choice. that's on the highest end system. it's $16.99/min in addition to buying a multi-thousand dollar plan and the equipment. if the budget is unlimited maybe you could gang 6 or so together on the roof to get more bandwidth.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I haven't googled? I look at cameras and understand but a few of the tech specs I can read about what they mean, but it's really not my field. Perhaps I assumed wrong in that I could get help concerning video equipment on a video help forum. Thanks to those of you who have posted thoughtful responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ktstowell
    ...but it's really not my field.
    And there's the limitation. People have given you the most than can give, on a message board.

This is really a face-to-face, professional project. Just looking it up on the 'net is not going to get you far. You will have to do a ton of physical legwork and contractor interviews.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which is precisely why this is not the only resource I'm utilizing! Hooray!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ktstowell

Perhaps I assumed wrong in that I could get help concerning video equipment on a video help forum.
    What video equipment are you talking about? The limitation for your plan is satellite uplink.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Coupla thoughts and Qs:

1st-Break it down into a chain of components.

Code:
    (A) Mount + (B) Camera -> (C) Xmitter -> ...... -> (W) Xceiver -> (X) Converter/Encoder -> (Y) Network Server -> (Z) Internet
    (A) is whatever will work with your specific camera and vehicle, but there are lots of aftermarket suppliers, plus you can often build this yourself

(B) is determined by PRICE and SIZE restrictions and any other special capabilities requirements, and by compatibility with the Xmitter (although this is often eased with adapters)

(X) is either a computer at the receiving end running conversion/encoding/streaming software 24/7 based on live input, or is a hardware-encoding/streaming box (usually more $$$ but solid for mission-critical work) and there are lots of choices here

(Y) is pretty much your average server (although you should determine whether you need things like multicast ability, etc) and you/your company may already have this set up sufficiently for this project's needs

(Z) you don't need to worry about, as long as your server is always online and DNS-reachable

So the big Question here is like what EdDV said, in the wireless connection.

Now, why do you specifically need Satellite? Are you going to be THAT far away from civilization and THAT far away from your (for lack of a better term) BASE UNIT, that you can't use WiFi, Cell, or other short/medium range wireless connections?

What you also need to decide is your minimum QoS per "camera view/channel", as that will also determine features/cost...

Does this vehicle (and the enclosed equipment) have other specific requirements, like Temperature (Heat/Cold!), Waterproofing, Vibration dampening, etc?

Personally, I could easily see a 3-camera setup with a vibration-dampened Flash-RAM-based laptops (with things like Enosoft DV switcher), with Wifi (short-range) or Cell (medium-range) uplink capability onboard the vehicle, so you wouldn't even have to think "Satellite" under many circumstances.

Scott
    Quote Quote