VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i'm about to make a dvd with an internal search that will check a pseudo db and return some results.
    Results will be music tracks playable from inside the dvd.

I've got some experience with authoring software but I'm not sure how to start this project.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks
    Terataz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is a DVD Video then I suspect it cannot be done. The DVD specification simply doesn't allow for anything this sophisticated. The programming language allows for very simply register manipulation - basically putting pushing numerical values into a register, pulling them out again, and doing very basic comparisons. There is no text manipulation. Even programming something as simple as a 4 digit numerical key code is really nothing more than forcing the user down a preset path.

If, on the otherhand, this is to run on a PC only, it could be written in any standalone language.

You need to be more specific on what you are trying to do.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guns1inger for your reply .
    I'll be more specific.

The dvd can be a pc-only one and it need to be self-contained (db on the dvd).

When you say "it could be written in any standalone language." what do you mean by that?

What language could I use ? What are the tools i need ? How would you approach this matter?

Thanks for your help.
    Terataz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on your experience and preferences. It also depends on the platforms you want it to run on.

Your options include

1. (Windows specific) Access + Visual Basic (avoid .net if you want greater compatibility) or SQL Server and Visual Basic. The development environment (VB express) is free.

2. A standalone, self contained Apache/PHP/MySQL environment, and develop in PHP and MYSQL so it runs through a browser.

Neither are probably beginner projects, and neither will work in a standalone DVD player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

2. A standalone, self contained Apache/PHP/MySQL environment, and develop in PHP and MYSQL so it runs through a browser.
    This is what i was looking for a as i 've got some php knowledge.

How would you embed a whole LAMP environment on a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are standalone LAMP projects on SourceForge that bundle the entire environment into a single folder. I have used something similar for Joomla development. You can unpack it to your PC, set up the environment and build the apps, then burn the whole thing to a DVD or CD for distribution.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote