VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking for Ouzo recommendations.
    Went to a Greek place for lunch today and their baklava is served with complimentary Ouzo. I'm sure they won't be giving the top shelf stuff away for free... but it was still tasty!
    What's the best Ouzo, and what makes it the best?

TIA!
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    Went to a Greek place for lunch today and their baklava is served with complimentary Ouzo. I'm sure they won't be giving the top shelf stuff away for free... but it was still tasty!
    What's the best Ouzo, and what makes it the best?

TIA!
    LMGTFU

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Where is "the old one" (a.k.a. SatStorm)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't the thread title be "Is anybody here an alcoholic/boozer?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks mantraks, didn't think of google...
    too bad all it does it point to 30 articles that have all been copy/pasted from each other and offer no real info other than 'here's a list of EVERY ******* brand of Ouzo, give 'em a try"...
    Very helpful. did you write that article?
    Why would I want recommendations from people who actually drink Ouzo when I could just trust a bunch of idiots who only know how to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V?
    Yes, very helpful...

Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I thought of that too, but it just seemed too vague. Plus the answer seems all to obvious to that question.
    I didn't want too piss off half the forum by making them feel like I'd tricked them into looking at a thread that they thought was going to offer them free booze.
    :P
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    thanks mantraks, didn't think of google...
    too bad all it does it point to 30 articles that have all been copy/pasted from each other and offer no real info other than 'here's a list of EVERY ******* brand of Ouzo, give 'em a try"...
    Very helpful. did you write that article?
    Why would I want recommendations from people who actually drink Ouzo when I could just trust a bunch of idiots who only know how to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V?
    Yes, very helpful...

Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I thought of that too, but it just seemed too vague. Plus the answer seems all to obvious to that question.
    I didn't want too piss off half the forum by making them feel like I'd tricked them into looking at a thread that they thought was going to offer them free booze.
    :P
    Why ask your stupid question here? I'd hazard to guess most of the users in OT aren't even old enough to drink let alone drink Ouzo. Most here haven't got past bitch beer.... As for the links, they are about as specific as you asking about Ouzo... Go buy a bunch of bottles and make your own ******* decision...

And regarding Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, I'm a bit more of a Crtl-Ins, Shift-Ins kind of guy...

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by makntraks
    ...Go buy a bunch of bottles and make your own ******* decision...
    Gee, if only I had 20 dollar bills falling out of my ass...
    Again, thanks for being so helpful!

Originally Posted by makntraks
    ...I'm a bit more of a Crtl-Ins, Shift-Ins kind of guy...
    It seems to have gotten your head inserted fairly far up your ass...
    Congrats!

I guess I didn't make myself very clear.
    When I googled 'ouzo' I found a bunch of links telling me what it is. I already know what it is.
    When I googled 'ouzo recommendations' I found a bunch of links telling me how many people don't like black licorice and that ouzo is strong and so many pussies here in the states 'reccomend' not drinking ouzo...

When I googled 'ouzo review' I found 1 review for a brand (that is not available where I live) written by somebody who doesn't much like black licorice or ouzo.
    I considered using the Greek google, but can't read or write Greek...
    Googling 'best ouzo' only provides links with "useful" information on products that aren't available in the US, therefore is worse than worthless to me. (Thanks for nothing monkey turd! I wish I had thought of googling 'best ouzo'... ).
    I figured since this forum's OT is full of shit that is completely out there and far more broad ranged than the OT in other forums I use, AND this forum is by far the one I use that has more people from ALL OVER THE WORLD it would be a good choice to ask a question about a liquor from another land - especially since the drinking age in so many other counrties is 3 years lower than it is here and many of the US users here are fairly well traveled &/or originally from other countries.
    Does anybody here know a good Ouzo that's available in the US?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PM Satstorm, I'm sure he'd chime in if asked.

I'm a big fan of Greek food. But just the food, not the drinks.

In fact, I might go have some for dinner.. Hmm......

There's this awesome place only two towns over.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ouzo #12 is good and you can find it at BevMo:
    http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?Ntt=ouzo&N=0&Ntx=mode%2bmatchall&Nty=1&D=ou...ode%2bmatchall
    I'm not a big fan of Greek food,lamb and things wrapped in grape leaves don't turn me on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Souvlaki! Gyros! Baklava! (spelling?)
    I'll pass on the grape leaves as well, and feta cheese should be used sparingly, but the food is yummy. Even lamb can be quite good if prepared properly.
    Thanks for the lead on the #12, I'll check it out!
    Quote Quote  
  11. you wanna eat REAL baklava try shatila.com .
    I always get the MIXED PASTRY (TRAY)

http://www.shatila.com/pc-125-3-mixed-pastry-tray.aspx

if you care about your weight .don't order it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My motto is: "If it tastes good, it's good for you."!
    And that stuff looks GOOD! Anything with pistachios gets a thumbs up from me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I ordered 10 boxes for my wedding 7 years ago.all gone in less than 30 min
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I had no self control...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The old one is here.
    And since we are of topic, do you know that Videohelp just turned 10 years old?

I already PM Xylob and here is some reading to do about Ouzo if you are interest:

You can read about ouzo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo

There are many flavors of Ouzo: Tsipouro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsipouro) and tsikoudia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsikoudia) are the most popular.

Always add ice cubes to Ouzo / Tsipouro. Always.
    Also Ouzo / Tsipouro never serves along. It needs a meze, a snack.
    Learn about meze here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meze

If you don't add water/ice cubes on Ouzo and you don't have a meze, then you can't understand what Ouzo is about.

Ouzo is also very - very delicate and if it is not pure, it shows.
    Read about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouzo_effect
    So, there is "impossible" to have "bad" Ouzo, a bad brand or whatever, cause visually shows. What you may have is bad taste Ouzo. But even that eventually can be OK if you don't have other alternatives

Hope that this helps everyone that interests.
    La Linea by Osvaldo Cavandoli
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. I am sure it is a bit outdated, but, as I am Greek, I can recommend several Ouzo. Actually I think 'tsipouro" is much better, but I also believe that the best drink ever is the one you like most. About Ouzo now...

I am a big fan of "Varvagiannis", especially the blue edition. I also like very much "Ouzo Plomari". Both are tasteful, and Varvagiannis is a bit stronger. Another popular Ouzo, is the "Ouzo Mini", of course "Tsantalis", and a lot of more.

But if you do not like "tsipouro", I would suggest you to go for Varvagiannis blue. And to take it easy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll check 'em out - thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I totally love Greek cuisine, and here in Chicago we got a lot of great restaurants! Next time you visit your Greek restaurant, ask if they know how to make SAGANAKI flaming style at the table (some restaurants just bake it in the oven and serve, it is supposed to be flamed at the table and the flames doused with a sqeezed lemon wedge). If it's done right, Saganaki and Greek Salad is a total meal by itself. When I take company clients out to dinner, I visit Santorini Restaurant in Greektown here, and they all totally love the food.
    Last edited by ranchhand; 10th Jan 2011 at 16:06. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've drank Metaxa 0uzo before, it's interesting. You might also look up Greek Retsina wine. It's an aquired taste, but I love it occassionaly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retsina

κόμμα ας
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    we always get the flaming Sanganaki when we go to our favorite Greek place!!! It is the shit.
    Quote Quote