VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have recorded a mini dvd tape with some scenes in 4:3 and others in 16:9.

I transfert it all with WinDV (set for creating a file for each scene). Now I have an avi file for each scene but is there a way to quicky determine if the scene is 4:3 or 16:9 ? I don't think .avi support aspect ratio flags.

The only way found is to watch the tape again in the camera an note arch scene aspect ratio.

Is there a faster way ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI does support Aspect Ratio flags, and DV AVI requires it if you want correct playback. Not all players recognise and respect the flag though. Windows media Player is one of the worst for ignoring AR flags at playback.

Good players, such as VLC and The KM Player should, if configured properly, read and respect the AR flag so you can quickly see what aspect ratio each clip is. Your editor should also respect the flags (unless you use Virtualdub, in which case you will have to set the output display manually)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I encode my files with either CCE or Tmpegenc Xpress. I will check for that with VLC (and maybe GSpot)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just a last question, the final project will be 4:3 since most of the vid shooted are 4:3.

So for my 16:9 videos I will encode them as 4:3 letterboxed. TmpgEnc can letterbox but for cce I will use avisynth.

One question, to do the 16:9 to 4:3 letterboxed I'd like to avoid deinterlacing.
    So does this can of script is ok ?

Code:
    separatefields()
    odd=selectodd().lanczos4resize(720,203)
    even=selecteven().lanczos4resize(720,202)
    interleave(even,odd)
    addborders(85,0,86,0)  <== may be better to use letterbox ????
    assumebfff()
    Do you think this script is good for quality preservation ????
    Quote Quote  
  5. That script will never open, or is this thing RGB? Make those numbers all even numbers. And what's this:

assumebfff()

There are better ways to do that (bobbing, filtering, and then reweaving), but that will do. And if for CCE add a:

ConvertToYUY2(Interlaced=True)

at the bottom of the script.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That resizing won't work, (aside from the colorspace, even number issue), the resulting clip will be 891x405. That's not going to mix with your 720x480, 4:3 footage. Your addborders() should be set to add to the top and bottom, not left and right as it is now. Personally, for this type of project, I would examine the 16:9 footage and see if it can be cropped to 4:3 instead of letterboxed. If it can be done without losing any pertinent info, then it will be easier on the viewer and less likely to have any interlace issues.

But if you must resize to fit your 16:9 footage into a 4:3 window than use:
    Code:
    SeparateFields()
    Lanczos4Resize(720,180)
    Weave()
    AddBorders(0,60,0,60)
    Edit: Actually, I just noticed you're in Belgium. All those figures are for NTSC footage. Sorry, I don't know the right numbers for PAL, but I'm going to leave this info for anyone in NTSC land.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can convert native 16:9 DV to letterboxed 4:3 DV in realtime (while capturing) or faster (existing files) with our DV processor. It will only convert frames tagged by the camcorder as 16:9. i.e., use the program for your capturing purposes and simultaneously letterbox the 16:9 portions. This feature was the whole reason the software was developed in the first place. Unlike other ways of doing it, our software doesn't fully decompress the image which permits it to operate much faster and with minimal quality loss. Everything is done in the native DV's DCT domain - no unnecessary transformations or YUV<->RGB conversions.

It handles interlacing properly. For exampe, here is a native 16:9 frame with heavy interlacing artifacts:

http://www.enosoft.net/DVProcessor/native16_9_2.JPG

and the 4:3 letterboxed version:

http://www.enosoft.net/DVProcessor/letterboxed_2.JPG

And it's free
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I will try enosoft too,

here is my modified avs script (it seems to be ok now):

My AVI is PAL.

Code:
    AVISource("D:\ParisNoel\Paris_1_.20_12_13h32.01.avi")
    even = separatefields().selecteven().lanczos4resize(720,216)
    odd = separatefields().selectodd().lanczos4resize(720,216)
    interleave(even,odd)
    weave()
    addborders(0,72,0,72)
    assumebff()
    ConvertToYUY2(Interlaced=True)
    Is that one good (for quality and speed) ????
    Quote Quote