VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a DVD movie and found out (lately) that my DVD player cannot read the disc, I 've checked the file on my computer and it was a *.vob file extension. Is there any DVD player in the market that supports this format? Computer newbie here..
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the DVD only has a single .vob file and no .ifo files, then you will only be able to play it on a computer. The DVD standard is .vob containers that have mpg2 video, various audio formats, and subtitles. The playback is directed by .ifo files and in case of error .bup files. If your DVD does not have the ifo/bup files then I don't know of any DVD player that will play them, however, assuming the .vob file is valid, you should be able to re-author it to full spec. I wouldn't buy from that seller again.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    If the DVD only has a single .vob file and no .ifo files, then you will only be able to play it on a computer. The DVD standard is .vob containers that have mpg2 video, various audio formats, and subtitles. The playback is directed by .ifo files and in case of error .bup files. If your DVD does not have the ifo/bup files then I don't know of any DVD player that will play them, however, assuming the .vob file is valid, you should be able to re-author it to full spec. I wouldn't buy from that seller again.
    All the files you;ve mentioned are all there, and I'd even tried in my computer and nothing came out but message that I need a mpeg 2 codec. But Im real interested if theres a way to play it on a DVD player (stand alone)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try a different player. Maybe yours doesn't play burned DVDs (as opposed to the retail pressed discs). Check the DVD Player database on this site to see if your player has any quirks. Check carefully for scratches or dirt that may prevent the disc from being played.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try using VLC player. It can play VOBs directly or play the whole DVD. It sounds like the DVD has some problems. You could try running it through DVDShrink and use that to reauthor it for a quick and simple way if the stucture is damaged.

VOBs contain the actual video, along with the audio tracks, subtitle tracks, chapters and menus. For more info on the DVD structure, format and specifications see 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page. If the DVD isn't compliant to the format, it won't work in a settop player.

Some possibilities are that it's a PAL format and you need NTSC or that the disc itself is damaged or the disc type or brand isn't compatible with your player.

You can also add a MPEG-2 codec to your computer for playback, there are some in 'Tools' to the left. But VLC is good to have anyway as it plays most any format.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, I ll try all these and hopefully I will be able to watch the movie....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by desertoil
    I just bought a DVD movie and found out (lately) that my DVD player cannot read the disc, I 've checked the file on my computer and it was a *.vob file extension. Is there any DVD player in the market that supports this format? Computer newbie here..
    Me thinks you need to read this......

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd#struct

All retail dvd's have this structure and file names, IFO, VOB, BUP, Residing inside of the VIDEO_TS folder.

Originally Posted by manono
    Try a different player. Maybe yours doesn't play burned DVDs (as opposed to the retail pressed discs).
    I must have missed the part where he said it was a "burned" dvd :P

And what redwudz stated, It could be a format, as in PAL/NTSC issue, or a Region Coding issue.

Where did you get the dvd from ??
    Does your player display any SPECIFIC error ??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Originally Posted by manono
    Try a different player. Maybe yours doesn't play burned DVDs (as opposed to the retail pressed discs).
    I must have missed the part where he said it was a "burned" dvd :P
    And you're going to tell me there aren't retailers out there that are selling DVDRs? E-Bay is full of them. I presented it as one possibility.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh i know there are, but you worded it so "matter of fact" as if he was trying to play a burned disc.
    Thought maybe i missed something 8)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the VLC and it played the movie, the movie was bought here in North America and not a burned disc (I think??? ) since I bougth it on sale from a video rental shop. But still looking for a way to play it on a stand alone DVD player.....

So which DVD brand plays different kinds of burned disc.....?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Oh i know there are, but you worded it so "matter of fact" as if he was trying to play a burned disc.
    Thought maybe i missed something 8)
    I did say "maybe".
    Most of them nowadays play them. If yours is an older player, it might not play burned discs, or it might play DVD-Rs and not DVD+Rs, or vice-versa. Since you said you got it from a local video rental store, then it's probably a regular retail pressed disc. If it was very used, with scratches and scuffs, then that might explain it. Maybe your player is pretty sensitive. Since the VLC player plays it, then I think my earlier advice of trying it in a different player still holds. Go play it on some friends' players. And you might try cleaning the disc as well. My daughter brings home all these funky used DVDs she buys at Blockbuster, and a lot of them have had a lot of use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, you said Maybe his standalone does not play burned dvdr's, as if he stated the disc was a burned disc 8)

I downloaded the VLC and it played the movie, the movie was bought here in North America and not a burned disc (I think??? ) since I bougth it on sale from a video rental shop. But still looking for a way to play it on a stand alone DVD player.....

If you bought it from a dvd rental store i highly DOUBT it is a burned disc, but you never know, hell, i could even win the 30 million $$$ lottery tomorrow!!!
    There's always a very slim chance!!

Seriously, you can't tell if it is a DVDR (burned) or a pressed (retail official release) dvd

I think you need to give some more info to find out why your disc is not playing in your standalone, otherwise everyone is just going to keep going through all kinds of GUESSES!!!

Open one of the VOB's in ACICODEC or GSPOT, click the (links) words to go to download them, then post what they say as for framerate & resolution.

Open the disc in your PC's dvd drive with either DVD Decrypter or DVDInfoPro to see what region coding it is.

But if you bought it in canada from a local video rental store i doubt it is of another region or format then what you could play there, but then again, i may win the 30 million $$$ lottery tomorrow!!
    :P
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously, you can't tell if it is a DVDR (burned) or a pressed (retail official release) dvd
    You said it right, I did look on the disc and nothing is there to tell me whether its burned or a pressed. The disc is quiet clean when I checked it no visible scratches. Anyway, I think I will try to play it on a new DVD player as I think the player I've used is an old model (probably). Probably the regional coding is not the problem as it was from the US, maybe Ill try the GSPOT (kinky name and will post the result asap.....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Generally a burned disk with have a purple looking dye color on the playing side. Pressed commercial discs are usually just silver.

VLC will play most anything, that's why it's handy to have.

Gspot or MediaInfo will tell you if you have a PAL disc, though that seems unlikely. Just drop one of the VOBs into it and check the framerate. PAL is 25fps. NTSC for North America will be 29.97 or 23.976fps. Usually with a region problem the player will tell you.
    Quote Quote