VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Media Player stopped playing .mov files

I have K-lite mega codec pack and didn't had problems and Windows Media Player can play a lot of video files.

Recently, Before power interruption i can play .mov files in my Windows Media Player but after the power interruption, my computer restarted and when i try to play .mov it won't. It immediately said "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

The power interruption was just for about 2 seconds, the power went off then after about 2 seconds it came back that's why my computer just restarted.

Just a few seconds before the power interruption i went AFK while i was converting a .mov to XVID avi but i'm 90% sure it was done before the power interruption.

Quicktime Player, media player classic and some of my players can still play .mov.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try (re)install quicktime alternative.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i searched in google for some help and i found in a forum that he went to Registry Editor and under HKEY_CLASS_ROOT down to Media etc., there is a .mov and .mp4 keys there. In clicking the .mp4 key there is the "source filter" on the right. I copied the value of it and went to the source filter of .mov then replaced it with the .mp4 value. Then i tried opening a .mov with WMP it worked.

The value there implies ffdshow codec.

Another thing i noticed, i cannot play .flv anymore too, but before the power interruption i can, i even played some .flv.

Then, i knew ffdshow can play flv so i just did the same with .flv.

If i do this, won't it affect my encoding jobs?
    Quote Quote