VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new system. well. the parts anyway. Now I'm lookinmg for a Blu Ray burner. It seems like a lot of the ones I've looked at don't list dual layer capability- which is a must for me.

I am going to burning data discs- no movies. So what drive would you guys suggest as far as quality goes? I can't seem to find any good reviews. I'm probably going to stay away from Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would get a LG.they have good reviews.
    As for DL if you have another 5.25" slot just use a DVD writer,that way there's less wear on the more expensive BD writer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about DL Blu ray. The 50GB discs instead of the 25 GB single layer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would go with LG. You do realize that D/L BD blanks cost more than buying most movies retail disks/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no interest in copying Blu ray movies. I just want to back up a lot of data without having to use tons of DVD-Rs or twice as many BDRs as I need. And I trust media much more than hard drives. I've had too many fail on me over the years. Look at what's going on with Seagate.

I really thought there would be a lot more people on this site burning BDR. But there doesn't seem to be much discussion going on. I know the prices are still pretty steep, but this is an enthusiasts board. We aren't exactly representitve of the general public.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice anyone can offer. If worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a drive and keep my fingers crossed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LG GGW-H20L.

Great for DL burns.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good. I think I will go with that one. Before now, I didn't have a system that could handle a Blue Ray burner. I've been thinking about getting one for so long that $200 now seems like a steal!

Now I've got to figure out who makes the best media. I know Taiyo Yuden makes SL but I don't know about DL. I'm much more worried about quality than I am price.

Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should get a 25GB BD-RE in the box.

I bought a TDK 50GB BD-RE just to fit larger movies on.

Those two disks is all I need.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone here tried out the new Pioneer BDR-203BKS?

Although I see the LG gets great reviews I have had nothing but bad luck with LG products so I refuse to own them, now Pioneer on the other hands seems to make some of the best DVD writers around, the only DVD writer I had better than my pioneers was my NEC3520A and my LDW411S, but my Current Pioneer 115D is a kick A$$ unit. Have ripped closed to 1000 DVD's with it so I figured their BR unit should be just as good, but was hoping to see if anyone had one yet and what their thoughts were on it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i also had a chance to try LG. dont know much about pioneer bd burners but lg is top quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You may check reviews and comments at: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I myself backup my data on a hard drive because of the costs. DL Bulray costs about 80 cents per gig, where a hard drive is about 9 cents per gig with an average 1TB hard drive. As far as failure I run my backup hard drive in a 5.25" slot docking station from Thermaltake and when it is not in the docking station it is not spinning all the time like an internal drive would. After backing up my data, I just eject the hard drive and store it in my fire safe plus it is easier to add and remove data on a hard drive than erasing a disk and rewriting the data.
    Quote Quote