VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I record streaming audio (using TotalRecorder) and when I cut it up using MP3DirectCut the tags can't be read by my car MP3 players. I believe it only happens with VBR recordings. Is there a work around or fix? Perhaps something to rewrite the VBR headers? FWIW WinAmp reads and edits the tags just fine, although the rewritten tags aren't recognized in the cars either.
    Quote Quote  
  2. there are at least 3 different types of mp3 tags(id3v1, id3v2, id3v3...). different editors write different types. try some others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MP3DirectCut has a setting to "Keep ID3v2 tags on normal save". If that's set it will just copy the original tags.
    It can also write ID3v1 tags.
    See Menu: Edit/Tag ID3.

Otherwise, there are plenty of dedicated tag editors.
    I like EagsOn, freeware. Can edit batches of files together (eg, albums), either v1 or v2 format or both.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/eagson.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You guys missed the point. The file(s) play and display the tags fine until I use MP3 DirectCut. WinAmp reads them fine. I believe DirectCut screws up the headers and WinAmp is more forgiving. I need som way to correct this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy
    You guys missed the point. The file(s) play and display the tags fine until I use MP3 DirectCut. WinAmp reads them fine. I believe DirectCut screws up the headers and WinAmp is more forgiving. I need som way to correct this.
    So use a tag editor, as I mentioned. With EagsOn select a folder and make a trivial addition to all the file tags (eg, to the "Comment" field), it should rewrite them all.

But MP3DirectCut is the best option for editing MP3 otherwise, as it does not reencode the audio.
    Quote Quote