VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've updated all but my main system to Firefox 3 from FF2 (mostly because of some relatively minor issues, such as some of the extensions I use haven't been updated to support FF3). I've been thinking about doing it, but I've been wondering about a few things, too. And, should I go ahead and wait until 3.5 (formerly 3.1) is out, to truly consider updating that FF2 setup?

I used to back up my profile(s) by simply copying the bookmarks.html and history files from my profile and archiving them. I know I most likely should be making a copy of the entire profile directories, instead - but given the different way FF3 handles bookmarks and such, is it still basically possible? Or would I have to resign myself to exporting the bookmarks file?

Regarding RSS feeds, I use the LiveClick extension with FF, so I can click on an RSS feed name and FF will take me to the site. On FF2, I've set the VideoHelp forum feed to take me to the Latest Posts page. FF3 apparently reverts any changes to the original feed whenever it reads them, though, so on my FF3 setups, the Site Location will revert back to the main forum index. Is there any way to convince it not to do this? It's not a big issue, though, really.

...however, I did notice that VideoHelp's Tools feed has an extra '.com' in the Site Location, which causes an error, and FF3's feed-reverting won't let me alter it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For Bookmarks I use Foxmarks, which give me two benefits. First, I have an online/off-site backup of my bookmarks, and secondly, I can keep the bookmarks on my desktop and laptop synchronized without any effort.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Foxmarks is great.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know... I've always been wary of the bookmark-syncing options, but mainly because I'm paranoid and far too used to making backup copies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the FF extension FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) that backs up the whole profile, including bookmarks, extensions and other preferences.

Useful for transferring or copying your browser environment to another PC or laptop, or equally as a backup.

There are several other backup extensions, see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=backup&cat=all. Simpler than rolling your own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FEBE never worked for me after I started to use FF3. It only worked on FF2. Even then, it always had bugs. I was disappointed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    FEBE never worked for me after I started to use FF3. It only worked on FF2. Even then, it always had bugs. I was disappointed.
    Been a while since I used it.
    But anyway, there are a dozen other backup extensions.
    Whatever you want to do with FF, you can bet someone has written an extension.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Eh. I've always just done it the hard way.

I've seen this, lately, too: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    Maybe I'll give that a try, as well. MozBackup is a third-party standalone program that claims to backup profiles from most of the regular Mozilla programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mozbackup works great.
    Quote Quote