VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 52 of 52
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    thanks for all your help! I will buy a TV soon enough.

    Thanks a lot! ^__^
    since you are going to buy 32' get the Samsung LN32A450 (I'm not sure if this model exist where you live)

    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A450-32-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B00141AYIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...7682699&sr=1-1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's probably the set top box. I live in a neighborhood in Maricopa County (AZ) that's less than 10 years old. It's got all the modern technology. I don't need a phone modem for the digital telephone service like I did before we moved here.

    The guy at COX gave me a unit that had been returned because it was the only HDMI unit they had. He gave my brother another box without HDMI that was supposed to be new but it looked older than mine. He said his would work on the 36" analog TV but he can't get it to work at all on one TV and it acts like a weak signal on the 36" or like it can't process the signal. The picture is all corrupt.

    I'm supposed to be getting 307 channels with this box, including the the PPV channels but I'm only getting 157 channels plus 45 Music Choice channels that just play music and the picture on the music channels looks like a frame from a very low bitrate and very low resolution divx file that was blown up to fit the screen.

    I was probably getting close to 157 channels before I got the box using the QAM tuner.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    thanks for all your help! I will buy a TV soon enough.

    Thanks a lot! ^__^
    since you are going to buy 32' get the Samsung LN32A450 (I'm not sure if this model exist where you live)

    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A450-32-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B00141AYIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...7682699&sr=1-1
    Isn't 1080p better than 720p at 32" in watching SD stuff, low quality broadcasts, and some xvid movies?

    Originally Posted by edDV
    The original poster was in the Philippines. DarrellS seems to be in a poorly served US COX cable neighborhood or he has internal issues with his set top cable tuner.
    yeah, you're right, i'm from the philippines. i don't think a lot of our channels here offer HD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dzsoul

    Originally Posted by edDV
    The original poster was in the Philippines. DarrellS seems to be in a poorly served US COX cable neighborhood or he has internal issues with his set top cable tuner.
    yeah, you're right, i'm from the philippines. i don't think a lot of our channels here offer HD
    Do you get any HD? Maybe by satellite. I've been there Manila to Catabaza*. That is why I tried to stay with SD.

    DarrellS did the classic thread hijack.


    * Not too far but an adventure.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread. Just thought if anyone was interested, the Samsung was an excellent deal at Bestbuy and to warn people that aren't aware that you need to have an HD source if you expect the picture to look good.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    thanks for all your help! I will buy a TV soon enough.

    Thanks a lot! ^__^
    since you are going to buy 32' get the Samsung LN32A450 (I'm not sure if this model exist where you live)

    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A450-32-Inch-720p-HDTV/dp/B00141AYIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...7682699&sr=1-1
    Isn't 1080p better than 720p at 32" in watching SD stuff, low quality broadcasts, and some xvid movies?

    Originally Posted by edDV
    The original poster was in the Philippines. DarrellS seems to be in a poorly served US COX cable neighborhood or he has internal issues with his set top cable tuner.
    yeah, you're right, i'm from the philippines. i don't think a lot of our channels here offer HD
    I don't think you will notice any pq between 720p,and 1080p. 50" and up .yes
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    A 1080p panel will look better for HD source (e.g. Blu-Ray or high res computer desktop with text or 1080p HD file playback). It won't look much better for upscaled SD video. For a smaller 32" screen, you won't see much difference unless you sit very close (inside four feet).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    I don't think you will notice any pq between 720p,and 1080p. 50" and up .yes
    for 32" there is almost no difference for me betwen 1080 and 720.
    the difference starts from 40" but its still very small. on 50" (like MJA said ) an avarage guy will maybe see the difference. maybe
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    it's been months since my last post but until now i have not bought a TV coz my dad was gone and he just arrived recently (coz the one going to buy the TV).

    anyway, so to conclude, 1080p = 720p at 32"?

    what if i have a 600x200 divx file...it isn't bad right? or a DVD player with upscaler would have a HUGE difference and far better quality. or an LCD has a built-in player in it for USB memory stick/flash drive?


    until now i'm confused if im going to choose samsung or sony...haha. don't really know the difference. i'm only sure about the screen size which is 32".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    anyway, so to conclude, 1080p = 720p at 32"?
    It depends on how far away you sit. Under 3 feet you will easily see a difference with a good 1080i/p vs 720p source. Beyond about 5 feet you won't see much difference. From a mile away you won't be able to tell if the TV is off or on.

    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    what if i have a 600x200 divx file...it isn't bad right?
    A decent encoding will look ok if you're not sitting too close. I often watch <SD resolution Divx/Xvid files on my 46" LCD from about 10 feet. It's bearable but it's obviously not HD or even DVD res.

    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    or a DVD player with upscaler would have a HUGE difference and far better quality.
    Compared to what? DVD player without upscaler? Not a huge difference -- unless the HDTV upscales poorly. If your buying a current Sony or Samsung you won't get a poor upscaler.

    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    or an LCD has a built-in player in it for USB memory stick/flash drive?
    Will probably give you about the same as a Divx/DVD player.

    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    until now i'm confused if im going to choose samsung or sony...haha. don't really know the difference. i'm only sure about the screen size which is 32".
    Last I heard Sony buys all their LCD panels from Samsung. The processing is different though. At the top end I think Sony has the advantage now. I don't know about the bottom end.

    See the ExtremeTech artical linked to in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic369776.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks a lot.

    right now, im thinking of samsung LA-32b550 and it has usb 2.0.

    with a memory flash drive, what file format does it support, or how do these files open in the TV? or it will only work if there's a computer, right?
    Quote Quote  
  12. samsung LA-32b550: The manual says it supports FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS. Only JPEG and MP3 playback.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    finally we were able to buy a tv. its model is samsung la-32b530. with HTZ210 package. standard dvd players only support its maximum res at 720x480. how about our package, will it not?
    Quote Quote  
  14. The HTZ210 includes a 1080p upscaling DVD player. It probably won't make much of a difference since the HDTV probably has a decent upscaler too. In both cases what's on the DVD is 720x480 or 720x576. Either the DVD player or HDTV will upscale to the HDTV's native 1920x1080. Test both and see which looks better. Try both progressive and interlaced DVDs. Use an HDMI cable.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    oh sorry for not stating that what i meant is movie in a USB with a resolution bigger than 720x480 as Divx. will it work?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    oh sorry for not stating that what i meant is movie in a USB with a resolution bigger than 720x480 as Divx. will it work?
    Almost certainly not. Very few DVD players will play anything over 720x576 (ie, PAL DVD frames size).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member FulciLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA in the USA
    Search Comp PM
    You can get the Western Digital Media Player. This is a small black box that connects to the TV via HDMI or component video etc.

    The box has USB 2.0 inputs and you have to input a source like an external HDD or a (fast) USB thumb drive etc.

    This box can display DivX and XviD files that are 1080p (as well as 720p and smaller). It also supports MP4 and most MKV files that use H.264 (same video in a MP4 file). It also supports M2TS which is H.264 with AC-3 audio.

    It's a great little device for around $110 US Dollars. Just remember it has no networking so you do have to use an external USB HDD or Thumb Drive but it is the cheapest solution if you want to play back Hi-Def media files.

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman

    P.S.
    BEST BUY sells it or you can get it on-line.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  18. And dont forget, with your new telly, to sit down with the manual and change every single setting. It will be delivered to you with showroom settings, to outcompete every other TV on display in the shop. Mostly you probably need to turn everything down, especially the brightness. Get a test disc and use Flesh Tones to get the best picture. If the zombies look life-like and the news presenters look like zombies, hmm, its wrong .. Homer simpson is Butter coloured, marges Hair is Bright blue

    The WD is also V. good.

    Incidentally, I can tell the difference between HD and SD on my SDTV (26')
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    You can get the Western Digital Media Player. This is a small black box that connects to the TV via HDMI or component video etc.

    The box has USB 2.0 inputs and you have to input a source like an external HDD or a (fast) USB thumb drive etc.

    This box can display DivX and XviD files that are 1080p (as well as 720p and smaller). It also supports MP4 and most MKV files that use H.264 (same video in a MP4 file). It also supports M2TS which is H.264 with AC-3 audio.

    It's a great little device for around $110 US Dollars. Just remember it has no networking so you do have to use an external USB HDD or Thumb Drive but it is the cheapest solution if you want to play back Hi-Def media files.

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman

    P.S.
    BEST BUY sells it or you can get it on-line.
    wow that really looks cool. is that the first player to support h264? samsung should already have a package with a player like that already!

    unfortunately...don't have a budget for that yet....hehehe.


    anyway,
    since i have a full-HD (1080p) LCD TV and i can set it to 480p, 720p, 1080p, etc...

    what if i want to upscale some divx videos (i use the dvd player with my USB coz my TV doesn't support movies, only pics and music), do i need to set something in the dvd player to upscale these movies? or do i just need to set my TV to 1080p?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by dzsoul
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    You can get the Western Digital Media Player...
    wow that really looks cool. is that the first player to support h264?
    No, several other players came out before the WDTV -- like the Popcorn Hour, several Tvix models, etc.

    Originally Posted by dzsoul
    what if i want to upscale some divx videos (i use the dvd player with my USB coz my TV doesn't support movies, only pics and music), do i need to set something in the dvd player to upscale these movies? or do i just need to set my TV to 1080p?
    Everything your HDTV displays will be upscaled to 1080p. It will either be done by the HDTV, the DVD player, or some combination of the two. For example, if your DVD player is set to output 720p, standard definition DVD will be upscaled to 720p by the player, then the HDTV will upscale to 1080p for final display. For low res Divx, the DVD player will upscale to whatever you have it set to output, if not 1080p the HDTV will upscale it further to 1080p.

    Actually, even with the player set to upscale to 1080p, unless your HDTV has a non-overscan mode, it will upscale to something a little larger (roughly 2016x1136) and the center 1920x1080 will be displayed.

    The Samsung LA-32b550 you mentioned earlier probably has a non-overscan mode. Samsung calls it "Just Scan".
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member dzsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Philippines
    Search Comp PM
    can't find the setting in the dvd player for upscaling. the dvd player is actually a part of the package from samsung, which comes along with the home theater system. it's HT-Z210.

    what i have right now is samsung la-32b530. and yes, i use HDMI cable.

    I have also tried the SD/HD on the remote control and i think it's for the TV, not for the DVD player...or is it for the DVD player not for the TV? I have set it to 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't know your DVD player so I can't tell you exactly where to find the upscaling options. Try looking in the HDMI settings for upscaling or output resolution options. Or the Video section.

    What did the SD/HD button on the remote do? That sounds like it might be what you're looking for. Remember, no matter what your DVD player feeds the HDTV you will get 1080p on the screen. Either the player or the HDTV (or a combination of the two) will do the upscaling. The only question is which does the better job. It may be very hard to tell the difference, even with test patterns.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads