VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    c627627 is only interesed in uncomressed capture to YUYV. That is why we are talking about old AIW cards.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Majority of my captures are from standard TV through S-Video captured to MPEG2 DVD. I tested ATI TV Wonder Pro + MMC 9.08 to do an excellent job doing that. [Hauppage input volume was lower than acceptable and could not be adjusted even using registry hacks.]

Once in a while I capture uncompressed as the only way to do heavy editing.

1. I never heard of these cards but we forgot about http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/
    Some cards listed there appear to be able to capture uncompressed video. So they appear to be the only option as far as 2009 cards go.

2. I have tested TV Wonder Pro with both 9.08 as well as the different and less stable 9.13. (MMC 9.16 I could could not get to work initially and I didn't look much into it since I could not get MMC 9.16 to work on AIW 9600xt either proving this was not a TV Pro issue alone.)

3. Nelson37, if you dig up any issues from where you recall encountering them, post here so I can test them, but right now TV Wonder Pro does *everything* for me that AIW 9600XT did. Same issues, same advantages.

I don't know what the term "conversion" implies but per AMD ATi capture card pre-sale department I called the other day: No ATi card released after TV Wonder Pro can capture uncompressed .avi video. TV Wonder Pro is the last one. Being able to capture uncompressed video is a crucial feature, ATi should not be allowed to use misleading advertising to make people think their new cards can capture .avi if they cannot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Me too, I'm looking for a card (or external box) capable of capturing uncompressed Video and Audio through a Component YPbPr input.
    I need to capture from VHS source and I need to obtain a RAW stream, without those kind of hardware checks that sometimes generates troubles if the video on VHS is a bit damaged.
    Something like the Terratec Grabster AV250 MX but with Component Video input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found this page through google while searching for other facts and things.

So... what's new with PC video capture cards this year?
    Just to update this discussion on the Hauppauge HVR-2250 and the matter of uncompress avi captures.

It can and does capture to uncompressed avi, including raw yuy2, as of yesterday I found this out with my hvr-2250 card using the lastest driver on the hauppauge website. It does not state this purpose, for avi, only that it is the latest driver.

As was hinted vaguely in these posts, these days newer generation capture cards have been changing gears to real-time video transfer to containers like mpeg-2, including h264, more or less like this:

source -> hardware-mpeg -> new-container

Although the HVR-2250 is sold as a hardware mpeg card, (thats its main selling point) no mention of avi is made. However, it too can capture true uncompressed, thus:

source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container, or
    source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container[huffy], or
    source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container[lagarith], ...

This is through the virtualdub utility, not the wintv 7 suite. The suite is setup as a streaming media obtainer or in the case of analog cabletv/antenna/vcr/laserdisc, you have the option to:

source -> hardware-mpeg -> new-container[.ts or .mpg]

Consider this new and latest information.

-vhelp 5319
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hm... Thanks! I got rid of mine now but I see that I also noted last year that "Hauppage input volume was lower than acceptable and could not be adjusted even using registry hacks."

So assuming that 720x480 can be captured uncompressed with your description, there's still the matter of the tested capture volume, which was too low and could not be adjusted.

My update a year later would be that I can say that ATi TV Wonder Pro accomplished uncompressed captures on all operating systems on my triple boot Windows 7 / XP / Vista.

Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    Just to update this discussion on the Hauppauge HVR-2250 and the matter of uncompress avi captures.

It can and does capture to uncompressed avi, including raw yuy2, as of yesterday I found this out with my hvr-2250 card using the lastest driver on the hauppauge website. It does not state this purpose, for avi, only that it is the latest driver.

As was hinted vaguely in these posts, these days newer generation capture cards have been changing gears to real-time video transfer to containers like mpeg-2, including h264, more or less like this:

source -> hardware-mpeg -> new-container

Although the HVR-2250 is sold as a hardware mpeg card, (thats its main selling point) no mention of avi is made. However, it too can capture true uncompressed, thus:

source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container, or
    source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container[huffy], or
    source -> raw-yuy2-avi -> new-container[lagarith], ...

This is through the virtualdub utility, not the wintv 7 suite. The suite is setup as a streaming media obtainer or in the case of analog cabletv/antenna/vcr/laserdisc, you have the option to:

source -> hardware-mpeg -> new-container[.ts or .mpg]

Consider this new and latest information.

-vhelp 5319
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    Hm... Thanks! I got rid of mine now but I see that I also noted last year that "Hauppage input volume was lower than acceptable and could not be adjusted even using registry hacks."
    I provided a link in another thread for registry hacks that increased volume dramatically for this card, at least when installed the OP's system. See https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/315517-WinTV-HVR-2250-TV-Tuner
    So, apparently there is an answer to this problem for some of those using this card, just not you, for one reason or another.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    So, apparently there is an answer to this problem for some of those using this card, just not you, for one reason or another.
    I have nothing personal against Hauppauge This thread is a year old and those answers did not exist then or else I wouldn't have gotten rid of my card and would have loved to test the suggestions.

The useful thing to do is to add the solutions to this thread also, so now 1. Uncompressed capture method is posted above, and 2. Read the titles inside *.reg files in this zip to supposedly set the volume of any Hauppauge 22xx card, thanks for posting about the volume reg patch:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c627627 View Post
    I have nothing personal against Hauppauge This thread is a year old and those answers did not exist then or else I wouldn't have gotten rid of my card and would have loved to test the suggestions.

The useful thing to do is to add the solutions to this thread also, so now 1. Uncompressed capture method is posted above, and 2. Read the titles inside *.reg files in this zip to supposedly set the volume of any Hauppauge 22xx card, thanks for posting about the volume reg patch:
    Usually there's only one set of registry patches released to fix a particular problem. Since SHS didn't say where he obtained the audio registry hacks he posted on June 16, 2009, and you never said which patches for the HVR-2250's audio problems you tried without success in March of 2009, I just assumed they were the same ones.

I have been researching the HVR-2250 and various other TV cards recently as possible purchases and I'm finding that none are problem-free plug-and-play for everyone. I don't have any strong feelings about Hauppauge one way or the other, though several models they make seem to be among the most popular choices.

For what its worth, on the basis of price, I am leaning towards an AVerMedia AVerTV Combo G2, or an AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet. or even an AVerMedia AVerTVHD Bravo PCTV Tuner, if I'm really strapped for cash.

My bedroom TV began showing signs of possible ill health a week ago ago. If it fails in the near future, all I want is to be able to watch TV on my new PC monitor using Windows 7 Media Center and rabbit ears, with the option to record programs once in a while, until I can afford a new TV.

I'm still deciding whether it is worthwhile to have a card with one digital tuner and an S-Video input that I could use to record from my SD cable box in a pinch, or whether I'm better off to save a little money by buying one with digital tuner(s) only.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Does anyone know if the HVR-2250 has any type of time base correction (TBC) on the s-video input. If this can produce AVI's I'm thinking of using it for transferring my Hi8 tapes to disk. But my tapes need a little cleanup with a TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No Hauppauge capture cards include a TBC. You will have to buy one separately.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...
    Last edited by jalyst; 23rd Feb 2011 at 23:20.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Apologies in advance for the massive necropost

Does the 2250 offer any massive improvements over the 2200...
    Or is worthwhile just holding onto the 2200 and waiting for the 2250's successor?

Thank-you if you can help, all the best.
    Quote Quote