VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone shed some light on the issue below or suggest a suitable monitor (other than the Samsung 2333sw!)
    I've attempted to run the 5990 via the hdmi output directly to a samsung 2333sw monitor (1920 x 1080 native res.) Problem is that in the 5990 hdmi setup options I cannot go beyond 576p. It falls over when I go higher i.e. 720p or 1080 either i or p.
    Now I realise that this samsung is going to be a problem from the get-go - it claims it can't operate at 50hz i.e.the output freq. of the 5990, however it can. I (temporarily!) modded the edid file/eeprom for the samsung and it runs happily at 1920 x 1080 @50hz - this tested and working 100% via my pc and settings confirmed by monitor menu.
    So I thought the problem was initially the edid handshake between the monitor and the 5990 i.e. the monitor was telling the philips it couldn't accept anything above 576p. Hence the edid update. However, since the mod, I now know that the edid handshake tells the 5990 that it CAN accept 1080p @ 50hz, yet it still refuses to display.
    Perhaps the edid negotiation may depend on more than defined/detailed timings etc but I cant go any further there. However has anyone got the 5990 working via a hdmi - hdmi/dvi direct connection to a monitor (not TV/Monitor) And, if so can you tell me which one(s)! I'm after something that's known to work with the 5990 and is 23"or upwards
    cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. No HDCP support in the monitor?

I just looked at the specs. It's supposed to support HDCP. Maybe screwing with EDID screwed up the HDCP handshake? I have a 5990 hooked up to a Samsung 4665 HDTV with HDMI at 1080p60.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, thanks for your reply
    as you point out HDCP is supported by the Sammy - if there was an hdcp issue caused by messing with monitor edid (which shares the same bus as edid apparently) then I'd expect that to block all output from the 5990 - as far as I'm aware hdcp and edid, apart from sharing the same bus (i.e. pins on the dvi/hdmi connector) aren't dependant on each other. I do still get output from the 5990 at 576p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Without HDCP you will only get SD resolution out of the 5990. That's why I was speculating HDCP problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd assumed that HDCP compliance issues would result in no display whatsoever, not even 576p. Thanks for raising this possibility - could therefore be a samsung firmware problem resulting in the hdcp exchange not going through. Anyone care to add to this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's stupid that DVD players won't even upscale SD to HD without HDCP. But the rule is no HD resolution without HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, stupid it is that. Would-be hackers might even see that as validation....
    Anyway I've had a closer look at the hdcp issue and ran Cyberlink to check for hdcp compliance. Well it tells me the samsung's not HDCP enabled. Strange it says so on the box. Not 100% certain about the Cyberlink result so I'll test this later today on another system.
    btw not a peep from Samsung or Philips support to suggest a hdcp problem, much passing the buck instead
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Given the specs of both devices, I would suspect your hdmi to dvi cable.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ruled that out pretty quickly - obtained a decent quality short cable to replace my 5m job and still no change.
    Samsung's site is mysteriously silent about HDCP capabilities of this monitor - in fact they don't mention it in their table of monitors specifically listing those dvi/hdcp enabled. That may just be an update issue as this is new on the market.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the North American version of that dvd player but unfortunately my current lcd monitor is only 1280x1024 and I don't even have a hdmi/dvi cable. I plan on using the player via hdmi with my hdtv when I buy one very soon.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote