VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I recorded with a tuner a movie on TV with PowerCinema. I need to cut the commercials and remove the logos by adding black border (the logos are outside of the movie area [screenshot]) and then convert it to DVD using dvd authoring tool

Here is the result of GSpot's file analysis : http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4124/60617706.png

Avidemux does everything I need, but unfortunately the sound is delayed for 2 or 3 seconds.
    I think the file encodes well, because the sound is delayed even before encoding. I can hear this by hitting the play button in avidemux

Here is an extract (commercial)
    Settings I used to cut this part :
    Menu Auto > DVD
    Source and destination aspect ratio : 4:3
    libavcodec MPEG-2 Configuration (DVD lavc) : Encoding mode : Constant Quantiser, Quantizer 2, Max Bitrate 9000 (to keep maximum quality)

What can I do?

-- Dorian, France
    Quote Quote  
  2. personally i'd go to the corner store and rent the movie for a dollar, and go from there. the amount of work you will have to do will far exceed the rental cost.

if not then i'd do it in multiple steps. first crop the video to 16/9 to get rid of the black borders and save it into an editor friendly format like huffyuv, lagarith, or even widescreen DVavi with wav audio. before going further make sure the audio is in sync.

then do the edits and render back to widescreen mpeg-2 with ac-3 audio for authoring to dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    first crop the video to 16/9 to get rid of the black borders and save it into an editor friendly format like huffyuv, lagarith, or even widescreen DVavi with wav audio. before going further make sure the audio is in sync.

then do the edits and render back to widescreen mpeg-2 with ac-3 audio for authoring to dvd.
    The file plays file (audio sync ok)
    But what software can I use to convert to lossless video? and the edits?
    Avidemux and VirtualDub-MPEG-2 can't open my file without audio delay

Furthermore I don't have much space left on my harddisks, barely 15 Gb
    Quote Quote  
  4. the sound is delayed even before encoding
    are you saying that even the input file has a/v delay?

If it's a constant delay scenario, use avidemux's audio shift, try + and - values, and you can preview by pushing play, then readjust

When you cut, make sure you cut on keyframes, or you may introduce other problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux is brilliant software if you are going from Mpeg to....something else like Xvid. If you need to use Avidemux to edit and keep it as an mpeg file you NEED to follow poisondeathray's advise and only cut on keyframes.

And fix the audio delay BEFORE cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the sound is perfectly ok

I tried -1 second delay, it works for the first part of the file, then the sound is delay again

I now have a 1 Tb harddrive, how can I convert my MPEG 2 video to a lossless format, openable with either avidemux or virtualdub ?

I tried to convert to DV AVI with windows movie maker, i works fine.... but I ignore why, the video goes black after 40 minutes !
    Any solutions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AviDemux and VirtualDub both open MPEG video. I use VirtualDub 1.8.5 and AviDemux 2.4.3.

As we said before.....your audio sync problems are NOT caused by your file being MPEG....and NOT caused by any editing software.

But if you MUST turn your mpeg into uncompressed AVI....open your file in VirtualDub and just "Save As AVI".....simple.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I open my MPEG2 file with VirtualDub 1.8.6 + with mpeg2 plugin, the sound is fine, but in the last part of the movie it is delayed again !
    With avidemux, it's the same thing but with -1s delay option (sound is delayed in the end too)

How do you explain that? How could it NOT be caused by editing softwares?

File plays file with media player classic (+ ffdshow), vlc, windows media player but NOT MPlayer for windows
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dodoecchi
    How could it NOT be caused by editing softwares?
    Editors (editing softwares) are terrible "players".
    I'm not trying to be a jerk but....can you explain how the video goes
    out of sync in every editor you've tried?

In my opinion....your video has a problem in one certain spot in the video
    that is making it react this way in editors. I had a piece of concert video(not
    recorded by me) where I ran into almost the same problem. It played fine
    until I tried to edit the video...then the sync problem occurred at the same spot
    every time.
    Quote Quote