VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

when I convert my AVI's to DVD mpeg2enc and I need subtitles, they are too high in the screen
    I want my subtitles at the bottom and not 'almost' central.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the Filters tab, you will note an option labeled "Pos" for position within the Subtitles sub-area. Altering the number will alter the position of the subtitles. You may find that using the Preview function (to the right of the Pos option) may be helpful in finding a value that produces the position that you favor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I also have the same problem. Subtitles are too high on screen. I tried changing the number next to POS, but it seemed that I am not allowed to change the number. Currently, the number is fixed at "80". Is there any reason why I am unable to edit the number beside POS?

Or is there another way, where I can edit the placement of the subtitles?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by izzit4me
    Is there any reason why I am unable to edit the number beside POS?
    The subtitle position for text-based subtitles can be specified for some conversions, i.e. those that use mplayer for decoding. (This feature was incorporated for the DVD mpeg2enc preset w/ Decode with mplayer.) Conversions that use the ffmpeg engine do not support this feature.

So, what type of conversion are you trying, and which preset did you select?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Case,

ooo.. I guess I will try out using other version of conversion then. But one thing I found it funny. When I tried to install ffmegz onto my office computer, as usual, I typed in my Mac OS login password. But this time round, it does not recognise the password which I had typed in. I had checked on CAPS... but still, am unable to type the correct password which the software require....

Mac OS Login password, means everytime we log in to our mac, that password, correct? Which is what I have beeen doing everyday.... But to no avail on ffmpegz.

But, my home mac, is fine. Just tat, the speed is really slow....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Case,

ooo.. I guess I will try out using other version of conversion then. But one thing I found it funny. When I tried to install ffmegz onto my office computer, as usual, I typed in my Mac OS login password. But this time round, it does not recognise the password which I had typed in. I had checked on CAPS... but still, am unable to type the correct password which the software require....

Mac OS Login password, means everytime we log in to our mac, that password, correct? Which is what I have beeen doing everyday.... But to no avail on ffmpegz.

But, my home mac, is fine. Just tat, the speed is really slow....
    If your password contains odd characters, that can cause problems. Try changing your password to something simple for the purpose of installing the binaries for ffmpegx. Then you can change it back afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mac OS Login password, means everytime we log in to our mac, that password, correct?
    The account with which you log in (in order to install and use ffmpegX) should also have administrator privileges. Macs with multiple user accounts usually have just one admin account.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    Mac OS Login password, means everytime we log in to our mac, that password, correct?
    The account with which you log in (in order to install and use ffmpegX) should also have administrator privileges. Macs with multiple user accounts usually have just one admin account.
    So, what does "one admin account" means? Not using my account login password?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does "one admin account" mean?
    Mac OS X has three types of users: (1) root, (2) admin (short for administrator), (3) standard user. The differences are in the permissions of what such a user is allowed to do (and the folders the user is able to view and use). User accounts can be admin or standard user (root is hidden for protection). At least one user account must have admin privileges. Thus, the user on a system with just one user account is always admin (I expect this on many home Macs). On Macs with multiple user accounts, some user accounts will have some restrictions, when the account type is not admin (I expect this on many office Macs). You can see this "admin status" in System Preferences > System > Accounts.

ffmpegX requires an admin user account. The installation will not succeed when logged in with a standard user account.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    What does "one admin account" mean?
    Mac OS X has three types of users: (1) root, (2) admin (short for administrator), (3) standard user. The differences are in the permissions of what such a user is allowed to do (and the folders the user is able to view and use). User accounts can be admin or standard user (root is hidden for protection). At least one user account must have admin privileges. Thus, the user on a system with just one user account is always admin (I expect this on many home Macs). On Macs with multiple user accounts, some user accounts will have some restrictions, when the account type is not admin (I expect this on many office Macs). You can see this "admin status" in System Preferences > System > Accounts.

ffmpegX requires an admin user account. The installation will not succeed when logged in with a standard user account.
    OIC.... so does that mean, I cannot install this software, on my standard user account in my office's mac? Yes, my office's mac is indeed with 3 different users, including 2 ADMIN users.....

Or, can I log into one of my admin, and install it... but, am I still able to see the software, when I on my standard user? (I know this question sounds silly... hahaa)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so does that mean, I cannot install this software, on my standard user account in my office's mac?
    Correct.

My office's mac is indeed with 3 different users, including 2 ADMIN users.
    If you can/may use one of those admin accounts for ffmpegX, only then will you be able to use ffmpegX on that Mac.

Or, can I log into one of my admin, and install it... but, am I still able to see the software, when I on my standard user? (I know this question sounds silly... hahaa)
    Not silly at all. Apple did a great job with Mac OS user accounts, but it may not be obvious what is really going on, when you have a standard user account.
    Software installed by an admin may be visible for all users, as it is located in the all-users Applications folder. Most of those applications are then usable for all users, but it depend on how the software is made. I don't think all components of ffmpegX allow this, but I never bothered to check its precise limitations.
    Applications for a standard user depends on the limitations set to that account, possibly limited to a My Applications directory for that user only, with only a subset of the all-users applications. Those applications may then have restricted access to the Library directories.

It is a long standing feature request, to have ffmpegX available to a standard user account, but I'm not holding my breath. Nor do I have a clue to how difficult that would be.
    Quote Quote