VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. On my old computer I have a ATI AIW 9700 pro video/capture card. Recently it shows vertical bands of color distortion and Noise plus distortion on the capture program screen. I've searched internet mostly suggested heat or cleaning problem. I've done em all and ruled out driver problem by new install even on linux even though problem starts on VGA at boot. Now the thing is sometimes when I open a folder or by itself it clears out. I have cleaned out the contacts and the fan on it works so it is not heat related. A good VGA card is around $100 and I don't want pay that because I bought a PCIe ASUS 3450 for that price, I am not eager to spend that much on it even though it is on a 3 ghz machine with ASUS deluxe MB.
    Now my question is anyone out there repaired or know what could be wrong I mean the component, I have an older Dell I researched and found out capacitors on the MB was bad so I changed it and it has been working fine since I like to do the same for this Does any one know if this could be a capacitor problem or something since it works ok sometimes for a period of time. If it was a solid state like a chip of some sort would have been an absolute death. Any info is appreciated I like to repair this one too if I can.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anyone with similar problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd need to see a sample screen shot of what you're seeing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is what it looks like

ati9700pro.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You know what? I think this is a XP64 problem. My friend built a new PC with an Nvidia card and it does the exact same thing. The computer freezes up and he has to manually shut down and restart. I have no idea what causes it but he is running XP Pro 64bit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have XP 32 bit on the computer with this card. I've tested it is not from OS. It happens at boot before OS starts and tested with Ubuntu too. It is definitely a hardware problem, I wanted to know if anyone knew what part it is like a bad capacitor so I would risk repairing it myself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It does this on the Post screens or Bios setup, in addition to Windows?

That is pretty bad, possibly some bad memory combined with some sort of frequency error. Double-check the slot, any grounding issues, maybe try in a different PC.

It's probably toast, unless it just got loose but I assume you've already re-seated it a few times. Any debris in the slot perhaps, bent contacts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen that on boards that had a damaged AGP slot.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. As mentioned I checked AGP contacts cleaned them, reseated and checked the cooling. I guess thats the end of it. The funny thing is sometimes for a short time it works ok! a solid state chip when is dead is dead but capacitors could do that. The irony is, it does not worth repairing even though it is a 3 GHZ and it is still good for internet / office stuff. Well I appreciate the input.
    Quote Quote