VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it seems my 10+ year old Toshiba VCR is going squirrely on me after all these years of dutiful service. And of course I still have about 150 VHS to transfer to DVD!

Now, I am well aware there are many threads here on VCR recommendations (I've read 'em), but the VCRs that are commonly recommended (The JVC HR-S9900U, the Panasonic AG1980) are just WAY above my budget and, frankly, overkill.

Overkill because I think I am in a somewhat unique transferring situation in that I really don't have any "problem" tapes. I don't have EP mode stuff, no "homemade camcorder/precious memories" tapes that have all kinds of jitter/flicker/stabilizing issues, and I only have a handful of ex-rentals. The bulk of my VHS are professionally made VHS transfers on Maxell Professional VHS made from a rare video dealer who uses Panasonic AG equipment. Most of these tapes haven't been viewed more than 3 times (many just once) and have been stored in a smoke-free, temperature controlled climate.

SO, with all that in mind, are there some VCR models anyone can recommend that are just RELIABLE and send out a good signal that can be had for around $100 used? I don't think I need a lot of TBC/DNR filtering since the tapes are fine to begin with. Hell, I'd put up with a non SVHS VCR if it's reliable (my old Toshiba, a consumer level 4 head VCR, was doing just fine with the transferring before the tracking problem, for example).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's unusual that you've not run across any stability errors, regardless of the recording device. Tape itself is the problem. I can only assume you're using a device that does not care, and that you're also converting the signal as-is, VHS noise and all.
    Quote Quote