VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the best settings for AVStoDVD? I'd like to convert .avi files that are high quality to dvd so that it's still in great quality!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD will generally work out the best settings for your video. Quality is most dramatically affected by bitrate, so if you keep your running time to around 2 hours or less (i.e. 1 movie, 2 50 minute episodes or 3 40 minute episodes), the quality will generally hold.

The two major adjustments I make to the settings are

1. Ensure you have the target format (PAL/NTSC) matching the source. I hate format conversions, and they will affect quality if not done well. I don't know if AVStoDVD uses the pulldown method for format conversion, so I avoid it.

2. I set the bitrates to be higher than AVStoDVD has by default, however it seems to set the correct bitrates regardless, so this may not be necessary.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if AVStoDVD uses the pulldown method for format conversion, so I avoid it.
    It uses DGPulldown.

To the OP, do note if you are a die hard 2 pass HCenc fan (many are) be sure to lock it in. For at higher bitrates (shorter runtimes) AVStoDVD may default to QUenc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey MysticE, nice app this AVStoDVD eh!.....Do note, I'm one of those so-called,
    "die hard 2 pass HCenc fan", and I always lock it in....

Have a good day!
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1
    Hey MysticE, nice app this AVStoDVD eh!.....Do note, I'm one of those so-called,
    "die hard 2 pass HCenc fan", and I always lock it in....

Have a good day!
    Always a pleasure
    Quote Quote