VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,
    I have a little bit of a perplexing problem. I have a problem w/ my Imation DVD-RW 4X discs playing on my Sony standalone DVD player.
    Here's the synopsis, I burn video files from my PC using a Lightscribe DVD +-R burner and ConvertxtoDVD. Upon completion I put the Imation DVD into my Sony standalone DVD player and half way through some of the videos the dvd would skip or just halt completely and go back a few minutes or to the beginning of the video. This has done this a few times on a couple of different Imation DVD-RW discs. And even if I erase the media on the Imation and put new media on it, it performs the same. However, if I put the same disc into my PC's dvd player it plays through flawlessly.
    So i figured it was our standalone DVD Player so we went out to wally-world and purchased a new Sony DVP-SR200P DVD Player only to come home and find that the same darn thing happens with this DVD player as did our old one.
    Is this some kind of incompatibility issue w/ Sony's DVD players or did I just buy a bunch of crappy DVD media?
    Also, if anybody could let me know if DVD+ or - R is better for video media? And if you have any thoughts as to the best DVD+-RW media out there and a good standalone DVD Player it would all be greatly appreciated.
    I've search alot of forums and gotten mixed answers across the board.
    Thanks
    carbfrze
    carbfrze
    "Beeflog, beeflog what a treat! A hefty hunk of processed Meat! Dipped in mustard oh what JOY! I'm a jolly Beeflog Boy!!!"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVD + or - perform about the same for most of us. I use DVD - most times. For RW discs, not sure.

You might look up the manufacture code on those Imation discs, they are made by quite few manufacturers and quality may vary quite a bit. If you look to the left in 'DVD Media' you should get some information. I would try Verbatim RW's as they should be available in many retail stores.

Sony players seem to have a reputation for being picky about DVD media. You might try a Philips brand player.

For general media information, you could look to: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The first DVDs ( -Rs) I ever bought were Imation, and they were far and away the very worst I have ever bought.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the replies. We are not looking at the Philips DVP5140/37. Here's a link to the DVD player: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4910374
    We're not looking to spend very much, we just want a reliable DVD player that is going to allow us to play burnt DVD's.
    Let me know if this is a good option or not?
    Thanks
    carbfrze
    "Beeflog, beeflog what a treat! A hefty hunk of processed Meat! Dipped in mustard oh what JOY! I'm a jolly Beeflog Boy!!!"
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the same thing is happening on two players then I vote crappy media.DVDR (write once) is preferred for longterm storage and I would use DVDR first before returning the player.
    As was mentioned Sony players are picky with media but my Philips 5982 plays anything,I think you will be happy with the 5140.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The best media for sale in North America is either:
    Taiyo Yuden (you will have to buy online - they only make DVD+R and DVD-R for North America - no DL, no RW) - or -
    Verbatim (DVD+/-R, +/-RW, +/-R DL)

Not much difference between DVD+R and DVD-R these days, although it's not hard to find some white papers insisting that DVD+R is technologically superior. However, my personal opinion is that DVD+RW and DVD+R DL are superior to their minus counterparts for a variety of reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having similar problems burning +RW Dataware bought at a local discount store. Looks like they are worse than the Memorex discs I bought some years ago. The Daytek DVD recorders only seem to like +R/RW but these come up as "bad disc" every time I try to format them on the recorder. I have to use Ashampoo Burning Studio to erase them and then they seem to work but not if the burn is over 75% of the disc space. One reason I still prefer the old DVD-RAM discs is that I never seemed to run into these problems. More than 6 years and the things still work great. As I said, the Daytek recorders seem to prefer the +R discs. -R have brought me a whole world of problems. Players seem to not care, especially some of the newer Philips players and my old 642 (which died recently). They would play almost anything I put into them. Sadly, I cannot buy those players locally anymore...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I’m Not familiar with any Sony unit.
    I use the ilo and liteon units, ilo is a clone of liteon as are most Daytek units
    With some exceptions most clones used the +R/RW disks

At first I had a problem very much as carbfrze said in the original post

The following is with my use and I have had NO problems since
    I first fully erased In A PC all +RW Disk that were a problem
    I DID not ALLOW the software to Format The Disk [This us importent]
    I put the disk in the stand-alone and fully erased it, this prepared and formatted it to the units liking
    I do not erase segments of a disk. If filled or partially filled, I erase the entire disk With the Unit. [This is important].
    This was a number of years ago And I have had not 1 Problem since, and do not use any PC or software

I cannot speak to the Sony but its worth a try

As to disks
    I have mainly used Verbatim and Ridata, some TY, Maxel +Rw and others.

Never had a problem with any

EDIT PS

I use both +and - R Some +RW
    I have not seen any difference in them
    Quote Quote  
  9. hey thanks to everyones suggestions I ended up going w/ the Philips DVP5140/37 and it is working great. It played our Imation DVD-RW a little bit better but ended up skipping again. So we went out and got some Maxell DVD+RW's and they work like a dream.
    Thanks for all the suggestions I just love using videohelp!
    carbfrze
    Quote Quote