VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using my old DVD recorder (Trutech) with a converter box to record OTA programs. Using the composite RCA connections, the quality is nothing special, but it works. I was wondering if there is any way to better integrate the ATSC tuner in the box with the recorder. I've opened up the cases, the NTSC tuner in the recorder is the same size metal box as the ATSC tuner. I realize it's probably not worth the trouble, but has any hardware hacker tried transplanting the ATSC tuner to an older DVD recorder? There would probably be firmware and power supply issues. Since the converter box only cost me $10 thanks to Uncle Sam, and the recorder is a cheapie, I'm toying with the idea once I'm ready to replace them with a newer ATSC recorder. Does anyone know anything about the small "tin box" tuners that are soldered to the circuit boards in all these devices? THey all look like the same form factor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Though the tuner might fit, there would likely be no firmware available in the recorder to operate it or to tune the HD channels. You're better off with your external tuner box.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You'd also probably be better off with a CECB like the Channel Master CM-7000 with S-video. I've found S-video gives me a much better picture than composite from either the same CM-7000 or something like a Zenith 901. Of course you'll have to be happy recording from only one channel unattended.
    Quote Quote