VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having some issues with getting my new Blu-ray drive to work on my PC. The actual drive works fine, it's getting PowerDVD to play a blu-ray disc. It will play the disc for about 2 or 3 seconds, I can hear sound, see a picture but then a window pops up saying it can't initialize HDCP. Now I am fully aware of what this is and why it says this, I'm playing it from my PC to my HDTV via a DVI to HDMI cable. And the sound connected through the optical out on my PC to my optical in on my receiver. This works perfectly playing DVDs and I've been quite happy with the quality of the picture and sound. But I decided to try Blu-ray and see what happens. It seems there's no way to get past the HDCP with PowerDVD. What I'm wondering is if there's a hack or a program that tricks it into thinking it's there or something like that. I used to use a program called DVD Region Free which would trick PowerDVD into thinking that a disc was an any region disc thus allowing me to play DVDs from all over the world no matter the region. All I want is to play Blu-rays without having to purchase a stand-alone player for $300 (or however much they are now). I've been using my PC as my player for a while now and it's always worked great.

I also am aware that if I buy another video card that is HDCP compliant then it might solve my problem with this but I would like to avoid that since I know that this just has to be possible. I mean if I can hear and see the movie for a few seconds before it realizes about the HDCP then surely there's a way to trick into thinking everything is a-ok...right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Will
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $90 a year? I think I'd rather buy a new vid card. I hope someone else can come up with another, more reasonably priced, program. Thanks for the reply, jagabo.

--Will
    Quote Quote  
  3. Make sure you HDTV is HDCP compliant too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the future, there may be some freeware alternatives that will do the job, but currently at the moment as it stands, only AnyDVD HD accomplishes this task. Blu-Ray is still pretty much in its infancy IMO.

Obviously, the other option as you mentioned is to ensure all your hardware/software is HDCP compliant which includes, software player, graphics card drivers, graphics card and display.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DumpHD is a free alternative to AnyDVDHD.
    It takes a little manual handholding but is very effective.
    HDCP is the devil!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a simple 'Handholding' guide to show exactly how to use DumpHD

I downloaded the latest version and noticed that within the download there are lots of other zip files - are all these needed to get DumpHD to work.

Many thanks. eon
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD is worth every penny

ocgw

peace
    i7 2700K @ 4.4Ghz 16GB DDR3 1600 Samsung Pro 840 128GB Seagate 2TB HDD EVGA GTX 650
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic368691.html
    Quote Quote