VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading on this site how to take video from Youtube and convert it to a DVD format. I am a newbie and to be completely honest did not get what you guys were saying. So my question is this-- is there anyone out there that can help me here or offer a service to do this for me if I pay them. I own a chain of Halloween stores and think it would be extremely cool to play horror trailers from video screens in the store. This would be a great thing for my patrons to watch while waiting in line.

If my request is dumb- then so be it- no need to kick me in the balls. But if one of you guys know someone who can I would appreciate it very much.

and nice site here- you guys know your sh*t..

thanks in advance- GOW
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried download the youtubes videos using http://keepvid.com/ ?
    If it works then just use convertxtodvd to convert the downloaded flvs to dvd. But as most videos on youtube are in very low quality it wont look good.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ahve not tried that- I know the quality wont be perfect- but would be good enough hopefully to play in the stores. Sad thing is I sell and pay Copy Rights on "character" costumes but they cannot get me any vids.. strange I know..

DO you know someone who can do this for a fee? (hope I am not being to forward).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godofwar
    I know the quality wont be perfect- but
    Actually it will be FAR from perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But hech would it be decent enough to at least get the jist of what the video is? I have a HUGE collection of 40,50,60's horror trailers on DVD, but none from recent movies. I really want to try this but I will be as honest as possible-- I am a complete tool when it comes to the download- right click- select whatever- drag into a folder- convert to a file jibberish. It would take me a year and piss most of you guys off with stupid questions in the mean time. Is there a easy way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Let's not talk about HOW to do this for a minute. I have one question for you.

Have you talked to a copyright attorney and examined the potential ramifications of doing this?

I am unsure of what those ramifications are. However, note that trailers can be subject to copyright too and you would not be very happy to have a Hollywood studio send you a letter asking for money for "public performances". YouTube does not necessarily mean "free for public use".

hech54 is quite right. Anything you convert from YouTube is likely to be pretty bad quality wise no matter what you do to convert it. If you see the final result you may not want to play it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jman I already pay for copyright on these films. If you get a chance to visit a Halloween store, you would see we carry many costumes (most from all current movies) and pay shitpots of money to do so. What really sucks is- I have asked my "in character" reps for these trailers but they failed to follow thru.

Going to try the keepvid thing and see if ti works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if you have a pc or laptop set up for viewing things like that, you won't even need to convert. Simply run something like VLC with a playlist on continuous repeat.

Another things is to check out tutorial like this and you may be able to get higher quality videos to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not having much luck on getting the videos converted. This is a pain--! I can download them using captureyoutube- but then cant figure out how to get them over to a dvd.. ARRGGGHHHHHHH!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Supposedly, a free tool like DVD Flick can convert flv files to DVD, although I haven't used it for that purpose. (Like others have said, it will look like crap.)

Won't cost you anything to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can convert .FLV files with TMPGEnc. Yeah, they will look like crap, but sometimes, crap is better than nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Why don't you use firefox plugin or Real player something like that and fill a folder full of what you like and put them on a media player or just connect a computer to your monitor. This way you save all those steps.
    Oh I didn't see someone has already suggested that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc is indeed, with their Suite group, probably the best balance of quality and ease to get you from YouTube to DvD. But it's not the best solution and it's not free.

Once downloaded, to get the best, most decent, crap out of YouTube videos to DvD, you will need:

- AviSynth (a free frameserver, but you would need to write code to it)
    - Some good filters such as MSU SmartDeblocker, a grain filter, a sharpen filter, a good resizer like LanszosResize, a color enhancer filter, etc, among others... (all free though)
    - A good MPEG-2 encoder like CCE. A good free one is HC Encoder.
    - A good AC3 audio encoder. A good free one is Aften.
    - Any muxing, authoring and burning tool. Lots of free ones available.

And you're set. This is probably the best way to get the best quality out of these files. Not crisp, but may be decent.

If it sounds complicated, then what did you expect? There is no easy solution for this. Video, in general, is complex. And there's very little good quality you can get out of those low rez YouTube vids.

If you're lazy I understand. It's not for everybody. But that's the reality of the situation, but at least the best DIY solution is free.

You're probably reaching for your wallet now offering payment... :P
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've watched half D1 at 500kbps on a 13" tube...not too bad...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And actually, Youtube would be the last resort for getting trailers.

Just about every movie these days has their own domain, XXXXthemovie.com, often, and these will have trailers in much better quality than Youtube.
    Look up your movies on imdb.com, it is has page of links for trailers for each movie.

E.G. : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406759/trailers
    has 30 or so links for trailers in various formats for "The Eye".

Also, I suspect that if you contacted the distributors of the movies they'd be very happy to send you DVDs of trailers for all their movies for a retail shop. Let them think you're a video shop, though don't actually lie about it.

And you might have an easier time if you just had a cheap PC streaming the FLV or whatever files to your monitors from a media player in full screen mode. It would be much more flexible and not require any conversions. Just download and copy new files to a folder it plays automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great idea on the movie website thing. I will keep trying- and if you are interested puzzler- yes I have my wallet out.. lol

I dont think its called laziness either. Its just this stuff starts to sound foreign to me and not that I dont want to try to learn- it is just something I cannot understand.

thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godofwar
    Great idea on the movie website thing. I will keep trying- and if you are interested puzzler- yes I have my wallet out.. lol

I dont think its called laziness either. Its just this stuff starts to sound foreign to me and not that I dont want to try to learn- it is just something I cannot understand.
    Never implied that it would be a bad thing either way. Personally, I don't feel anything is wrong with me when all my life I've been too lazy to learn how to conduct heart surgery on someone. Just not something that is easy for me.

Well, this thing here too is work, and I don't blame you for being overwhelmed by the learning curve involved. Many of us spent lots of time (maybe too much) on this to learn this stuff.

But to get YouTube video onto DvD in the best possible way, with some semblance of quality, you'd need to learn some AviSynth and a thing or two about encoders and filters.

If you're still interested, I, and others here, would be more than happy to get you started with some of the free tools out there. I personally don't want your money, although it's nice of you to offer.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote