VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I would like to watch .avi, .wmv and .mkv files in my PC (Vista Ultimate 32-bit).
    The above files are encoded with DiVX, XViD and H264 encoders.
    Their sound is encoded with AC3, MP3 and DTS (Dolby) encoders.

What codecs do I need to watch them with my media player of choice (which, unlike VLC, has no built-in codecs),
    with the best possible audio and video qualities?

I'd rather not install codec packs, but only the specific codecs I need.
    I would also like to know how to configure them for the best qualities with stereo speakers and an ATI Radeon HD graphics card.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use ffdshow for the audio and Cyberlink for the video, I use MPC-HC or Zoom Player.

The MPC-HC also has down loadable versions of the built in codecs it has that I use for some HD stuff.

If you dont already own Cyberlink powerdvd (like a copy that came with your DVD/BR player) there are places you can search that will explain how to use the codec files from the trail downloads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I second mediaplayer home cinema. That or vlc. THough I don't know if vlc has been updated as recently as mediaplayer home cinema.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to use a specific media player.
    I want to have whatever necessary codecs I need, so I can play my movies
    with whatever player that supports them.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need an MKV source filter and splitter so DirectShow knows how to handle MKV files. Try Haali. Then you need Divx/Xvid, h.264 video decoders and AC3, MP3, and DTS audio decoders. ffdshow includes all of those. After installing Haali and ffdshow any player that uses DirectShow should be able to play your MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The latest DivX 7 codec now includes support for the .mkv (matroska) H.264/AAC.
    .ac3 audio suppoted by VSFilter.
    Also get XviD
    if you install the 3 above you will be able to play most VideoAudio file.

You do not really need to get ffdshow, try to stay away from bundled codecs as they have been know to cause problems. Especially Haali it tends to try to kick in just opening a folder containing the .mkv
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had any problems using haali media splitter and ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ffdshow isn't a "codec pack" in the same sense as something like K-Lite. K-Lite takes bits and pieces of many codec packages and uses one big installer to install them. Unfortunately, many of the components it installs can conflict with each other and they don't uninstall cleanly. If you look at what it installs you'll find dozens of individual DLLs and INFs. Ffdshow is more like one big codec that happens to be able to decode many different formats. It's easy to turn off/on individual decoders and it uninstalls cleanly.

Regarding Haali kicking in when opening a folder: it's because Windows is building thumbnails or getting file stats when opening the folder. Haali is used to read the properties of MKV or MP4 files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was always wondering whether I should install XViD and DiVX or just FFDShow.
    Which option will show a more accurate picture?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please?
    Quote Quote