VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the video has sort of a ghost effect on it, you can see part of the previous frame on the video.

ive spent hours and hours trying to fix this, i tried many different settings tweaks and nothing works. the weird part is that if i record the same scene a few times in a row, it will do that ghosting effect maybe 2 out of 3 times, 1/3 of the time the scene will look normal.

my capture card is a haupaugge wintv-go and i capture with dscaler
    Quote Quote  
  2. That sure looks like a blended de-interlace, or possibly a framerate problem. SFAIK, Dscaler is specifically designed to de-interlace while capturing. I've never used it, though.

Either disable de-interlacing, get a different capture software, or see if you can change your output to Progressive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi kokojib,

Yes, that is your problem: dscaler.

dscaler is deinterlacing in real-time during capturig. And, the reason you get random success (at differenet scene levels/places) is because of the "position" you begin your capturing at. If it were possible to set the exact capture positon, you would still have problems because the source you captuing is telecined. So, some parts will look ok, and others, not: in every 3:2 pattern, there are two interlaced frames, and those two interlaced frames are whats being de-interalced via dscaler. So, you get this ghosting in different parts, but it would be consistant throughtout the whole video, though wouldn't notice the ghosting during static (or, non-motion) scenes.

But, there still may be a snag to all this. If your source is based on a tv broadcast capure, then it is highly probable that it is a product of TEC: time expansion or compression: where (in most cases) if the source contains frames that look like "blends" it is an indication it was "time-Compressed" while frames with mixtures of DUPS and/or INTRICUT INTERLACING, are "time-Expaned" and that there are no real un-reversals of these (time-compressed) to restore in a clean manor, while the (time-expanded) can..because there are no removal (blends or non-blended) frames or fields.

I'm with Nelson37 on this: I've never used dscaler before. My understanding is that its design purposes were stickly for (real-time) deinterlacing. However, it would be interesting to know if it features an option to inverse-telecine, or ivtc, for short. But even that would not resolve (or restore) cleanly those video contents (tv broadcasts) that are manufacture through TEC, and its problems, as already stated, above.

In your case, I would suggest capturing w/out dscaler, and (after determining if telecine is clean, hopefully) perform an IVTC at the post level, and then encode that source to your intended format: h264 or mpeg-2, etc.

Good luck,
    -vhelp 5040
    Quote Quote