Any suggestions? It won't detect the bin file

but this site

http://vb6rocod.blogspot.com/2008/12/philips-dvp5990k55.html

at the bottom claims that it should have a set of instructions and autoload

any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the .bin file by itself, outside a folder on the USB drive? Does the Philips detect the USB drive at all or any files on it? Usually, you just plug it in and the player sees the drive and the .bin file immediately. But you might have to click the USB button on the remote to change the input to USB.

If the drive isn't detected, make sure it's formatted as FAT32. NTFS formatted drives won't work.

Or there is something wrong with your USB drive, the player or the file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have tried it, i've used this usb stick and made sure that it's formated in fat32, for some reason, it won't read the bin file even though it's all by itself in the flash drive when i plug it in and displays on the screen as empty. I've used this same flash drive to put in mpgs and audio files and it detects it without a problem, fairly quickly too. don't understand it. It's a verbatim 4 gb flash drive.

any clues?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your player a karaoke model? That's where the "k" comes from. If it's not, try the firmware here:

http://vb6rocod.blogspot.com/2008/12/philips-dvp599037.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, that's where i got the source from. I tried that, it's just a bin file, for some reason, the darn thing doesn't detect it, i wonder how long i have this thing under warranty. could still get a new one i think...had it since last july
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just tried using a dvd +/- rw disc to format it and burn the bin file on it. I tried to load it but it said"'unknown disc". The player in general doesn't seem to know how to read a bin file.

any help?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with any dvp5992K models, but I could have missed it. I know Philips does make a 5990K. The "K" in the title of the firmware that you linked to in your first post implies that it is for a karaoke-capable player; the "55" implies that it is for players sold in Argentina, Australia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, United Kingdom, Uruguay, or Venezuela. USA models have a "37" suffix.

If you have the standard USA model dvp5992/37 (without the k-for-karaoke), then your player is not recognizing the filename as a legitimate upgrade file, since the name of your file is "DVP5990K_55.bin" rather than "DVP5990_37.bin".

Firmware for the 5990 is useable on a 5992; they both use the "DVP5990_37.bin", but I would not think that firmware for a 5990k would work.

Anyway, if you think this might be your problem, you can get the "DVP5990_37.bin" file either from the link I gave above, or from this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675-540.html#1938289

If you do indeed have a karaoke model, then never mind.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh. I didn't even know that the K meant that. I believe i just have the 5992/37, that's it. darn, i thought all bin files work the same way or would at least detect it the same way on the machines. Even i fthe 55k.bin file wasn't the right one, wouldn't it at least show up on the display screen as a regular file?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried those links and why is the American version 1252 missing in the rar file?

does the region hack code allow you to use the other language versions? It seems the American version is only updated since

December on that page and the new ones are all in other regions

I was able to load the old December file in and testing it out I don't get on the page what the "patch" and "without patch" means and why there is a volume folder with what appears to be the exact same bin file as the root directory?
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

with CD, DivX, Vista and Philips LOGO.Update 5990/37 5990K_55(75) 5996K_51
    Thanks to Tentakulokans , I make a new version:

* fix "remaining dots on directory line"
    * max. 48 char from USB. w00t.gif
    * Slideshow transition is set to fasted possible.
    * Move jpeg preview in a lower position
    * Only for 5990_37 exclaim.gif If you want Volume + - on Repeat Keys, run AddVolume_599x.exe.Click on "Open DVP599xx.bin" and select firmware file.

Download
    with CD, DivX, Vista and Philips LOGO.
    DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo.rar
    and for CP 1250, 1251, 1253 and 1254
    DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_CP.rar
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike69
    I just tried those links and why is the American version 1252 missing in the rar file?
    At this link: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675-540.html#1938289
    the first linked file,
    http://rapidshare.de/files/45238647/DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo.rar.html
    is the "American" version (code page 1252). I assume it isn't identified as such because it's the default code page for the /37 models. The post is dated Feb. 13, so I assume that is when vb6rocod released it.

The firmware with the other code pages are in the link just under that one. The code pages only affect what character set is used to display subtitles.
    does the region hack code allow you to use the other language versions? It seems the American version is only updated since December on that page and the new ones are all in other regions
    The region hack allows you to play DVDs made for regions other than the USA (region 1). It has nothing to do with anything else.
    I was able to load the old December file in and testing it out I don't get on the page what the "patch" and "without patch" means and why there is a volume folder with what appears to be the exact same bin file as the root directory?
    The volume patch allows you to use your Philips remote to control volume, but it takes away your ability to "Repeat AB". I don't use it since I control the volume using my TV, and I occasionally use the "Repeat" function. The newer February version uses a different method than the December one (you run an included .exe file to patch the firmware before installation if you want the volume control).

I have updated my 5990/37 player to the February "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo" cited above and it worked fine for me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, so the ""DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo" file includes the newest firmware (for all code regions) AND on top of that, includes the selective LOGO's for the main view? I thought that rar file was only for the selective LOGO's as that's what the file name hints

The author put a separate rar file for the files so it gets confusing when I read this file right below the same post "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_CP.rar", and the one above it as "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo".

From the looks of it, do both those files have the newest firmware or are they separated where one is for changing the splash front page, and the other is specifically for the firmware alone?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, so the ""DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo" file includes the newest firmware (for all code regions) AND on top of that, includes the selective LOGO's for the main view? I thought that rar file was only for the selective LOGO's as that's what the file name hints
    Yes, "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo" is the latest firmware (to my knowledge) for the 5990/37 and 5992/37. It contains 4 upgrade files, all of which use code page 1252. The only difference between the files is the logo. Both the firmware and the logo screen are included in the same file. Just pick the one you like. Pictures of the logos can be seen in this post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355675-480.html#1932223
    It doesn't have anything to do with code regions. The region code hack is independent of which firmware you use. You can do the hack with the original Philips firmware just as easily as with the modded firmware. It's just pressing a series of buttons on the remote control.
    The author put a separate rar file for the files so it gets confusing when I read this file right below the same post "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_CP.rar", and the one above it as "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo".
    "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_CP.rar" has other code pages for people who wish to display special character sets in their subtitles, like, say, Greek or Cyrillic, which are not supported in code page 1252. If you don't need to display such characters, stick with "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo".
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for the help squash
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome. Glad I could assist you in getting it sorted out. It is kind of confusing, what with all the updates out there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Two years late to the party but just recently got this player...

Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    "DVP5990_37_vb6_v32_All_Logo" is the latest firmware (to my knowledge) for the 5990/37 and 5992/37.
    Is this still the case?

Where can I get this file from? All the links I can find are dead.
    Quote Quote